Feedback by UserVoice

Word for iPad & iPhone (iOS)

Welcome to the Word for iPad & iPhone (iOS) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Using iPad Mini WITHOUT external Keyboard

Dear sirs/ madams
    Please, for your handheld, outta-yer-pocket, instant on flatscreens (of all persuasions): 2 buttons for editing mode. Call them [§] and [=].

They allow for forward deletion without the need for highlighting.

[§] checks the value to the left of the cursor, returns in place and cancels to the right up to and including that same value case insensitive.

[=] instead, checks TWO values to the left of the cursor, returns in place and cancels to the right up to and including those same TWO values case insensitive.

In early word macro language they look like this:

Public…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. word suggestion bar for Asian languages on iPad Pro w/ Smart Keyboard

After recent updates, inputting Asian languages that need to select words on an iPad Pro with Apple Smart Keyboard became very disappointing.
    The size of word suggestion bar became incredibly huge when the file is set to fit the screen. Imagine 4 times larger words comparing to the normal size before updates on your screen when you try to work outside. Please fix this mistake ASAP.
    I don't see this mistake on Excel or Powerpoint that updated at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. co-author on my iPad

I'd like to be able to co-author on my iPad, so that I can edit in Word under different names, rather than only the main account holder's name. I can do this in Word on the computer, and it's so helpful.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Remove the 'Delete draft' option when saving a new document

When hitting the back back button to save a new document, it would be preferable not to be offered the 'Delete draft' option. The consequences of pressing that option by accident is so much worse than having to manually delete an empty document once in a while...

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lasso tool (just as it is beautifully implemented with OneNote)

Mostly for Apple Pencil users, to select objects and handwriting to rearrange them on the screen

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back "Pick up where you left off" and add in the ability to change the Author/Editor name ON THE APP for iPhone

These features are missing and at one time, you had the "pick up where you left off" feature. It would also be good to have the ability to change the Author/Editor name ON THE APP for iPhone, OR to have it be the same across devices from the phone to the computer, despite the differences in operating systems. The app for the iPhone and iOS platform is grotesquely behind in terms of compatibility. Fix this.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Implement automatic hyphenation in Word for iOS to get an consistent appearance of documents

To avoid different appearances of documents on desktop and on tablet (e.g. different page breaks!), automatic hyphenation should be implemented in Word for iOS too

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. We should have the option for our own page margins

You're not able to set our own page margins. There are only five suggestions we could take.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support metadata tagging within SharePoint libraries

It'd be useful to be able to tag documents within the Word app. At the time of writing, if a column within a library is marked as 'required', the file fails to upload.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve digital signatures

Improving digital signatures, I believe that in the near future this will be a feature that is used much because the tendency is to stop using paper, so the use of alternative mechanisms such as digital signatures (certificates) or (biometrico as tablets wacom) will be one of the features that users will use daily.

Currently the functionality of digital signatures work well, however as a user think it could be improved by including more information regarding errors during the process of signing, suggestions on how to fix some errors in the firms, make more beautiful generally provide more elements tools…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Expand the viewing area with-in Open tab

Please allow an expanded area of viewing for the files and folder when using an iPad Pro. When I go to the Open tab and navigate two folders in the last folder doesn't expand enough to read the entire file name. The windows should be adjustable for the user to view the entire name of at least more then what is currently provided.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Open and edit text files in Word

I wish Word for iOS could open, edit, and save plain text files. I do most of my drafting and note-taking in a text editor on a Mac. I cannot open these files in Word for iOS since Word for iOS can only open and edit Word files. Editing text files would be useful to a bunch of nerds like me and would just involve turning off most styling features in the UI.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add templates

Can we please be able to add our own personal templates to the templates you include?

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Auto update fields before saving/exporting a document

I work with documents that have fields in the footer that need to be updated before saving/exporting (i.e. proposal title, document number, etc.). There is no way to update this info in Word for IOS (iPad).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. What is the status of the auto-ink problem fix for the word, excel, and PowerPoint mobile apps?

The mobile apps for Word, Excel, and the other apps need to allow the option to use an Apple Pencil or other stylus to be used to choose text, etc. as before, instead of going to draw automatically. Office apps were much more useful before this ridiculous change was made. I bought an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil primarily for choosing text in Word, etc., not for drawing!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. RTF & text file export from Word iOS

RTF & simple text files are still in use in many industries. It would be great if Word iOS can export such file format. Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Word on iPad freezes when working with large documents

Hello,

Since the latest update, word on my iPad freezes when i'm working on a large document (500 pages of text). This didn't use to happen and now it is practically unusable. The app freezes for a long time then restarts. I work on this document on my Surface and 2 desktop computers without any issues. I also worked on this document without issue until i updated to last version of word. File is located on my OneDrive for Business location.

Thank you,

Serge

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. display page numbers

Display the current page number and the total page numbers of a document somewhere in the ribbon/tool bar

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)