Form filling for All Office Documents
Many clients use iPads for mobile experiences. Customers with O365 subscriptions do not want to purchase another subscription
just so they can fill in forms (that they already have a huge investment in with Office documents).
It would be really useful to be able to:
1. Open a new Office form on a mobile device (e.g. iPad, iPhone, Android Phone/tablet, Windows phone/tablet/PC)
2. Fill in the form
3. Save back to a SharePoint document library, where workflows could then process that form etc.
The use of Office documents as a form is required by these customers for the following reasons:
* They already have a large investment in these documents
* They allow for easy updating, since users have already been trained in how to create these forms using the tools that they are
- They can be easilly edited and traced in the SharePoint environment, and are used as audit trails for processes.
Currently, this can only be done with "Full" windows. Just about all of my clients do not use Windows tablets or phones, so they are
forced to look elsewhere (e.g. Google Docs, etc), which starts to lead them away from O365 and makes them question their investment.
Would be nice to get a definitive answer from MS about whether these capabilities are coming, planned, been considered and discarded, etc. Not
knowing the direction that MS is going to take with this makes it very hard as a partner to assist customers
John Korchok commented
Forms with Content Controls and protected area exceptions are fillable in Word for iOS. Legacy Form Fields are _not_ fillable.
Roy Boffo commented
I agree! This feature is very much needed!!!