Feedback by UserVoice

Word for iPad & iPhone (iOS)

Welcome to the Word for iPad & iPhone (iOS) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. A Night Time/Dark Theme Option For Night Time Writing/Editing

It would be awesome to have the option to switch to a night/dark theme in word app where the background is black and text is white, for those who write at night. It would be easier on the eyes. Even on the lowest brightness setting on my iPad isn’t enough. I would love to have the option to write at night without word being bright to look at during night time.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. be able to add watermark in

finally managed to work out how to remove watermark but would be great if I could add watermark in like on the desktop version?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Create an Optional Tutorial In the Microsoft Word App on ios Platforms

When you first download the app there is no tutorial on how to use the app since some of the processes are different on mobile this should get included to give the user a basic run down on how to use the functions of the mobile Word Application. Additionally, this would also be a good idea if you are brand new and just trying out Word for the first time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. serious flaw in “search” causes application to freeze

August 2018: the latest version of Word for iOS freezes on my iPad after a while when using the search feature. It is not possible to exit the search mode and you are not able to scroll anymore. The only exit seems to be a hard exit (i.e. kiling the application and restarting. This is very annoying and needs to be fixed urgently. I was able to replicate the flaw multiple times.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. serious flaw in “search” causes application to freeze

August 2018: the latest version of Word for iOS freezes on my iPad after a while when using the search feature. It is not possible to exit the search mode and you are not able to scroll anymore. The only exit seems to be a hard exit (i.e. kiling the application and restarting. This is very annoying and needs to be fixed urgently. I was able to replicate the flaw multiple times.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Option to edit and show table boundaries

Table boundaries do not show up on documents when not inside Word. So what you see is not what you get. Please correct bug

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Problems displaying Word files

The Word apps, downloaded from Apple and Android stores respectively, recognize a different file format and because of that, there are slips of sentences in the next pages, causing clutter, page augmentation, etc. It would be very useful if this discrepancy is resolved, so that there are no differences on the same file, whatever the device or operating system used.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Possibility to run simple macros

If you create simple macros on Windows or Mac it doesn't work on Ipad
    (go to Summary on a long document for example)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. JUST LET ME CHANGE MY DEFAULT PREFERENCES

I shouldn’t be forced to suffer through the garbage person font that is Calibri- No one should have to do that.

This has been been a default option for so long, and it makes so much sense. The reason you use a dedicated piece of word processing software is for powerful, adaptable word processing features.

Like CHOOSING A DEFAULT FONT.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Support for check boxes is needed

Word (iPad) needs support for checkboxes

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Word docs not saving when opened from outlook

I opened a word doc that was attached to an email and started editing it. When I went to exit the doc after I had finished everything, there was no option to save it, and I lost a whole night’s work on an assignment due tomorrow. I am furious! I see this bug has been around for 2 years, and Microsoft have not fixed it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msoimobile-msoversion_other/edits-lost-in-word-for-ipad-on-document-opened/d5cbaf6c-0500-4fea-9862-b37f8f4722cd

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Dropbox aeroplane mode accessing locally saved files

IPad office apps allows access to Dropbox files but only if there is an internet connection. With Dropbox you can save files onto your iPad. It would be great to be able to work with these files in the Office Apps while in aeroplane or if there is no internet connection

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Table of Contents feature to iOS version

Table of Contents (ToC) Is an essential function of generally all documentation, why is this not available yet? Please add this feature to all versions of word. I especially need it on iOS right now.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Navigation and editing hotkeys should work in the iOS Word app as they do in other apps

When using the Word app in iOS 11 with VoiceOver and a bluetooth keyboard I am finding that a number of the navigation and editing hotkeys do not work in the Word app as they do in other apps. This makes it difficult for the blind user to edit reliably in Word.
    For example, Option+LeftArrow will navigate backward by one word and VO will speak the word in all apps except when using the Word app. In Word, focus is not moved by this hotkey.
    Similarly, Shift+Option+RightArrow will move to the next word, highlight the word, and speak the word…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Insert date/time field

Seriously add the insert date/time function, this is really basic. Other fields would be nice, file path, etc., but at least the date/time.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide the Reference tab like it is on macOS

The Reference tab really needs to be a part of the iOS app for Word. This is especially true for Office 365 subscribers.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Word App won't display coloured fonts on iPad

The Word App on an iPad Air 2 won't display coloured fonts when you change the font colour only default black. Similarly if you use the highlighter it only displays white text on a blue highlight colour. If you download a document with coloured fonts it still only displays black. if you save the iPad Word document in Onedrive and open it on an iPhone using the Word App the font colour has actually been changed in the document, so it seems a display issue with the App on the iPad .
    I have deleted the App, reset the iPad…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Word App won't display coloured fonts on iPad

The Word App on an iPad Air 2 won't display coloured fonts when you change the font colour only default black. Similarly if you use the highlighter it only displays white text on a blue highlight colour. If you download a document with coloured fonts it still only displays black. if you save the iPad Word document in Onedrive and open it on an iPhone using the Word App the font colour has actually been changed in the document, so it seems a display issue with the App on the iPad .
    I have deleted the App, reset the iPad…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for iPad & iPhone (iOS)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base