Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please add a highlight option to the review menu. Editors want to highlight important points w/o switching to main menu toobar.

When in using "Review" toolbar, you cannot access highlight easily. You have to switch back to Home, which is an annoying and time-consuming step when editing a complex document. Please add a highlight button in Review menu (it exists in Adobe).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need a tool like search and replace to change fonts and its attributes specially for a single tech document that consist multiple fonts.

Generally in document we can have many fonts and as of now we need to select the text and change the font or its attributes like colour, size etc. I expect a tool which can change the font with single click in the document the way we change words using search and replace facility.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Open new documents in normal-sized windows, not miniature windows.

As of version 16.25 (19050200), Word now opens new documents in miniature windows that don't show the full Ribbon. This is a bad change from past versions and should be reversed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Remember preference for where to save files

I have never used OneDrive and save everything to my hard drive. In version 16.25 (19050200), if I try to close a document that has never been saved, Word prompts me to save it to OneDrive, even though I have never used OneDrive. However, if I manually save the document before trying to close it, Word remembers that I always save files "on my Mac" and prompts me to save it there. Whether you save your files to OneDrive or on your Mac, Word should remember your preference and always prompt you to save it in the right place, not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Change-tracked files open in All-Markup although saved in No-Markup(!)

As a remote editor, I receive documents as Word files from foreign clients, edit them with change tracking enabled, then to return to the clients two versions of their revised documents, one in “All Markup” mode to reflect the changes I made to the document, which is informative but often illegible and certainly not presentable, and a second in “No Markup” mode, which is legible and presentable.

My problem: When I save the legible version of the revised document in “No Markup” mode, I need the client to be able to open and view the document exactly as I saved…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cross-references - make them easier

When inserting a cross reference, then clicking within the document to find another place to insert the cross reference, don't have the list of numbered items reset to the top of the list. Chances are, I'm inserting cross references multiple times in my document to the same list item and having to scroll through every time is maddening.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. on-hover preview for format in Word Styles/Themes

On-mouse-hover preview for formats in Word Mac Styles/Themes

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Microsoft word logo v 16.24

Please figure out how to change the Word or Outlook logo so they are not so similar. 7 times out of 10 I click on the wrong logo on my Mac's dock.
    I have the possibility to look for the small letters "O" or "W" but this is not very user friendly.
    Excel still is nice and green and visually easy to detect.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Save As redirects to the wrong folder

Save As redirects to the wrong folder. If I have more than one document open in word and I try to save a new version of the first document I opened it defaults to the save location of the second document this is so annoying and sometimes if I don't catch it I have basically lost important documents. This didn't used to be a problem. Please fix!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. New Icon for Word

It's a small thing, truly. I realize that. Yet I find it disconcerting every time I open the Word software.

I got the new icon for Word a few days ago. For the first time in years, I find myself wondering if I can create a new desktop icon for software.

I have a visual processing disorder around certain shades of the color blue. What that translates to is that I feel literally queasy every time I go to open the new Word with the transitions of blue involved. It turns out that multiple visible shades makes it worse!

I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix copy & paste bug when Handoff (Universal Clipboard) is enabled

When Handoff is enabled (which also enables Universal Clipboard) and you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac and a nearby iPhone or iPad, Word will freeze when you try to copy any text. The spinning beachball will appear for 3-4 seconds and you can't do anything while this is happening. The bug also affects Excel. This happens even on a Clean Installed system so it is not a 3rd party conflict.

I've posted more details and a video of this happening on the Microsoft Community Forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/copy-cmdc-causes-spinning-beach-ball-delay-for-3-4/36e2e400-59c7-471b-b7d6-b5d5082a545a

I've tried to report this bug but it seems impossible to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Can you help to slove Microsoft Office Utilities?32 位元 app 與 macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 和以上版本的兼容性

Can you help to slove Microsoft Office Utilities?32 位元 app 與 macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 和以上版本的兼容性 how can i do? thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How can I get rid of automatic features that I don't want, such as automatic numbering on lists? Why isn't there an easy way to tell the use

Get rid of the ?%$##@??! automatic features(such as list numbering) as default settings. Give the user the choice of whether they are operational. I cannot easily find how to disable them. Just upgraded to High Sierra OS on my iMac and am going crazy!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It would be helpful if I could merge a PowerPoint presentation into a Word document. Please work on that.

I have a Word outline and a PowerPoint presentation. It would be helpful if I could merge the two into one document to send to someone.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Phonetics

I need to add phonetics to a word doc written in Chinese characters. I know how to do it but the command executes and adds the phonetic only for around one line of the doc each time. So it is quite an effort to add pho. to an entire document. Please enhance this feature. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Let users easily remove the "Welcome back" flag in MS Word 2016 for Mac.

Let users easily remove the "Welcome back" flag in MS Word 2016 for Mac.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix text boundaries for word 2019 with paragraph

I set boundaries in word 2019 is errors with paragraphs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable Read Aloud on print layout

Reading Aloud on Webview forces tables, and images to shift which makes reading a report, or book manuscript difficult. Allowing Read Aloud to work while on "Print Layout" helps keep the structure of the document as the original author intended.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Restore functionality of the Horizontal Line command

Hi Guys, can you please restore the functionality of the 'Horizontal Line' command under 'Borders'? 'Format Shape' (solid line) does not work. Changes can't be saved. This worked just fine on earlier versions, but not so after recent updates. A BIG problem for anyone who has existing document templates incorporating horizontal lines. Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base