Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. On Launch: Priority should always be given to the File a User requested to open

I consider this behavior to be an egregious bug. Almost an assault on your users.

Bad Scenario 1: Double click a file with an associated extension. Action opens Word, Word opens requested file then opens most n number of most recent unclosed documents.
    Bad Result 1: User is left looking at a document from a prior session that may have absolutely no current pertinence. File requested by the user is 4 windows below and has to be tracked down.

Bad Scenario 2: Double click a file with an associated extension. Action opens Word, A change to Word or exciting news…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Quotation Marks

Hello

I would love to have a switch to change the Quotation Marks.

From French Style, to the Swiss German Style and the German Style. They are all different, but I have always to change the Language to get the ones I want. So it would be cool if in the Preferences it has an option to choose which one we want.

Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Restore the option to hide the status bar and/or provide a color scheme where no elements are the terrible blue color.

I have no idea why Microsoft removed the option to hide the status bar. It can be useful if you want it, but it takes up valuable screen space. Why remove a useful option? And even worse: both color schemes mean that you have to work with a distracting blue color--for "Colorful", it is the title bar and for the ribbon, but for the "Classic" the gray status bar turns blue. For god's sake, bring back a gray-non distracting theme--at least for draft mode!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add Option to DEACTIVATE Recent Documents in Word for Mac

I have Word 2016 for Mac and there is no option to completely deactivate the recent documents feature on the Mac. You can do it on a PC as it has the Options Tab. Mac doesn't have the options tab to be able to set the number of recently saved docs to 0. This is a huge security issue, especially if you share your computer or other devices with people in your home. It is not enough to simply clear the items. You should be able to have the option to permanently disable this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Lose the 'Welcome Back' notification.

Please drop the 'Welcome Back' notification when a work in progress document is opened or, provide an option to turn it off. It is an inane annoyance. We are not children.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Version number is not being updated when update is installed.

"Word>About Microsoft Word" shows that my version of Word is out of date. (Currently showing 16.16.10.) So Microsoft AutoUpdater shows that it needs to be updated. Yet when I Control-click on the Word icon and select Get Info, it shows the current version, 16.16.15. The problem is that Microsoft AutoUpdater appears to check the version number shown in About Word to determine whether or not an update is needed, so it's constantly trying to update what is already the latest version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Duplicate and unnecessary files

Dear Microsoft Team,
    There are duplicate and unnecessary files (2.2 GB) in Microsoft Office Mac (3 GB). Delete these files can slim Office to less than 900 MB. Here is how:
    1. Copy all the fonts in Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/DFonts into /Users/Your Name/Library/Fonts;
    2. Delete all DFonts Folder in the Microsoft app;
    3. Create soft-link into Microsoft app, for example: sudo ln -s "/Users/Your Name/Library/Fonts" "/Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/DFonts" You can change Word to PowerPoint or Excel;
    4. Delete unnecessary files in Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Shared Support/Proofing Tools, for example, you can select all non-English proofing tools and delete them;
    5. Create soft-link in to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Speed-up Office launch time

Please consider to accelerate Office Mac launch speed. Currently Word bounces five times, Excel five times and PowerPoint four times.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Get away with the Ribbon and apply the layout of Pages for Mac

Because of the Ribbon, the working zone height of Word is really small. Please consider to apply the layout of Pages, which put toolbars in the right side of the window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. How to create "continued on page XX" for text that continues many pages later

I have multiple articles within a book that continue many pages after the first page and use "continued on page XX". Currently I must manually re-figure out what XX should be every time the book changes length. This is tedious! Is there a way to have Word figure out the correct page and insert that number in the "continued on page XX" sentence?

I don't want a hyperlink to the next page because this is a print document. I just want the correct page inserted into the "continued on..." sentence.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. The word is missing something that prevents text from going to one page to the next due to lack of formatting for all windows.

The word is missing something that prevents text from going to one page to the next due to lack of formatting for all windows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Microsoft office for mac word 布局-文字方向-传统蒙文 office 2016 for mac

office 2016 for mac

Microsoft office for mac word 布局-文字方向-传统蒙文
    普通的Microsoft office 从2007版本开始支持了传统蒙古文的书写格式了。

因为传统蒙古文的书写格式是竖写。从左上角开始竖写。

但是普通的window office里是需要设置一下的。

如果没有设置,在布局里没有传统蒙文的排板格式额。也就横的两个,竖的三个。共5种格式。
    但是Windows office2007版本开始可以语言里可以添加传统蒙文了。

具体步骤为 设置里进去可编辑语言里增加传统蒙文。
    添加完这个语言选项后

在布局里就多了一个文字排列方式了。总共有六种排列方式。

所以在Windows里的Microsoft office里语言里添加传统蒙文。就能调出来传统蒙文竖写格式。

但是Microsoft office for mac 是默认带全部语言的。所以没有可以设置语言的选项。也在文字布局里看不见传统蒙文排板格式。

反过来说,如果在Windows office里设置好传统蒙文的格式,作为模板复制到mac下。用Microsoft office for mac编辑的话,能保留传统蒙文的书写格式,并且能继续正常编辑。所以说明这样的格式Microsoft office for mac 是支持传统蒙文排板格式的。

只是mac里新建一个word文件,就设置不了。

我的想法是想办法可以设置这个。 mac office里。

求大神解答,并且能找出解决问题的方法!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Link to specific headings

This is possible in Google docs but not available to Word. Similarly, the ability to link to a specific cell in a sheet would also be great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Resolve the envelope printing issue of "The number must be between 1 and 31"

Resolve the envelope printing issue of "The number must be between 1 and 31".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Scripting command is broken

Within the Word scripting dictionary, the ability to send the contents of a word file as a message, but not as an attachment is broken. Fixing this would be really welcomed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Document Inspector

Where can I find the document inspector? How do you check for issues and inspect a Word document on an iMac? please add this option on Mac

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ou sont les cases a cocher dans la barre des menu ?

retrouver le mode fenêtre sur le coter pour crée des fenêtres ou barre menu.

ou et le mode modifier barre menu ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Getting Header and Footer in True Colour

Is there any way that I can get a custom made letterhead for my organization which is showing true color while we are typing. is it possible

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Word 365 does not offer the opportunity to hyperlink one Word document to an inserted bookmark in another Word document.

Word 365 does not offer the opportunity to hyperlink one Word document to an inserted bookmark in another Word document. This was managed by the 'Anchor' function in previous versions of Word. Why has it disappeared? I found it useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base