Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. I need a computer for Mac.

My idea is very good.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I am unable to update my MS Word for Mac. Please help me in this regard. I am getting a message that "AutoUpdate cannot connect to the updat

I am unable to update my MS Word for Mac. Please help me in this regard. I am getting a message that "AutoUpdate cannot connect to the update server
    The server might be too busy, or there might be a problem with your network connection. Wait a few minutes and then try again. I am doing the same for last two weeks. Please do the needful

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Welcome back" not welcome

I really think the “Welcome back” thing is a terrible idea – first because it’s a pointless irritation for almost everybody, but second because it comes across as Microsnoop surveilling our activites (down to the level of how much we read our own stuff!), an impression I would think Microsoft, if it has three brain cells, would go out its way to avoid, not to reinforce.

There should be a way of getting rid of it, forever.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Auto save for files not on OneDrive

Hello, I am using Word Excel and PowerPoint with my Office 365 subscription and am overall very happy with it. But there is one inconvenience I noticed that matters a lot to me. I use iCloud on my Mac to organise all my files and folders. However, the "save automatically" function only works when die files are stored on OneDrive. Is there any way or future plans to be able to store my files on different locations (e.g. on iCloud) and have the "save automatically" function on as well?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The 2017 version of word for Mac was so awful. I had to delete it and return to the old version.

Functionality and animation was choppy and jarring
    Documents covered to PDF would not print with clients

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Update geht nicht

Ich kann kein Update einspielen
    Der Update-server ist nicht verfügbar

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I have gone back to using Word 2011. Word 2016 is a disaster. Many go eliminated many good functions. Please continue updates and suppo 2011

I have gone back to using Word 2011. I have found repeatedly that Word 2016 is a step back in time. Many good functions have been eliminated and not replaced with anything better. Please resume updates and support for 2011. It is a better program in many many ways.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide way to insert Style Separator.

There is no way to insert a style separator in Word for Mac. This cannot be a difficult function to implement, and it makes the Mac version unsuitable for editing highly structured legal documents. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please allow images in PDF format to be pasted into Word (/Powerpoint) without destroying their quality

(also posted for PowerPoint)

I love being able to take PDF screenshots or figures and paste them into documents, so that the quality of the documents remains high and the images aren't pixilated.

Unfortunately, with the latest updates to Office 2019 / Office 365 (at least with 16.21 190117), images inserted into PowerPoints and Word documents as PDFs become pixilated and desaturated as soon as the file is saved. The results look awful on any high quality display, and are unusable for presentations or reports (even sometimes illegible altogether).

This has made it capturing screenshots on a Mac or exporting…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The spelling and grammar option not functioning

On typing even if the spelling is wrong my Mac doesn't show any sign indicating its wrong.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Spelling & grammar check = grey box on 10.14

Ever since I updated to 10.14 (macOS Mojave), Spelling & Grammar check will only show the first word correctly.
    Words after that can't be seen because the spelling check box is all grey.

Need to close and do it again and again and again since only the first word isn't covered by grey.

This is with Word 16.16 fully updated and 16.17.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. MS Word for Mac File Creation Date changes every time document is edited/viewed on OneDrive/Office 365

This is a particularly annoying bug. Please find a solution?

I've put a large number of older files I'm currently working on on my Mac into OneDrive. Every time I view/edit one of them using another device with MS 365 connectivity, or OneDrive online, the Creation Date changes to the current date and time.

I'm referring to the creation date of the file itself, the file metadata. It becomes the present date every time it's viewed on a different device.

For instance say I've created a file in August 2012 linked to research that is necessarily date ordered, I put…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Word 2016 on macOS hangs up when opening document which has non-existing data source referenced via AppleScript

Steps to reproduce:

* Create recipent list CSV file and save it anywhere
    * Create new blank Word document
    * Start mail merge as letters and attach previously created recipient list CSV file
    * Save and close the document
    * Delete or rename the previously selected CSV file

When now opening the Word document again, Word claims about missing data source as expected. Do not save the Document when trying this to keep the non-existing data source referenced.

Execute the following AppleScript (e.g. in Script Editor, adjust path to Word document):

set mergefile to POSIX file "/Path/to/Document.docx"
    tell application "Microsoft…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Accept / Reject in comment and track changes balloons

Please, please, please bring this functionality back. I'm wasting so much time having to mouse up to the top navigation bar every time I want to close or accept a tracked change or comment.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Insert Single Contact in Word for Mac.

Have option to insert single contact or quick insert of contact in Word for Mac. This feature was available in Word 2011. Also, have the option to shorten the list of recent file for all applications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Hyperlink to paragraph in document, similar to OneNote

Hyperlink to paragraph in document, similar to OneNote

In OneNote I can copy a link to a specific place in the note. This link in a Word doc works quickly and reliably without on any device (not OneDrive dependent).

Word needs the same functionality. Some exists -- bookmarks work very well. It is possible to hack a link to a specific place, but it creates warnings. Word should just have this functionality built in – especially with OneNote which is designed to play nicely with Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I just had a WONDERFUL experience with tech support and marketing...

... and wanted to see that credit is given to the people who helped me.
    Date: May 24, 2019
    Time: approximately 2:15 PM, Eastern
    Chandra at tech support gave me excellent information and was VERY helpful when we discovered I had purchased the wrong version of Office 365 for my needs. He then went the extra mile in explaining all of this to Maya in billing, who quickly and cheerfully refunded the "wrong" product and allowed me to purchase the right one (Office 365 Personal).

I was with IBM Tech support from 1981 through 1991 and only hope that I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please bring back fill option in page colour.

The image distorts with every other work around. i dont understand why you would get rid of the only thing that works for apply backgrounds.

you have provided no work arounds for this and your support team can not advise of options to help or workarounds because they have no idea. instead they ask me to pledge to you to bring it back.

Please bring it back you are causing unnecessary headaches for your customers and if you plan to get rid of a tool or options you need to train your support team of the work arounds and what…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. activation

Reformatted my MAC however when I reinstalled office 2011 and try to activate it says Microsoft server not available. Keep getting message to activate every time I open word, excel, powerpoint or outlook?

Any ideas please

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. word window

Before I updated Microsoft when the Word window opened it would be a large window. After the update Microsoft Word opens up in a small window to the left of my screen instead of spread out across my screen. I called Microsoft three times and no one knows how to fix this I am very angry. Took away hours of my life to try and fix the annoying problem when the solution is a better Microsoft update!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base