Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Bring Back Scrapbook (or similar functions)

Nothing in Word for Mac 2016 duplicates the functions of Scrapbook, which are essential to my work, and I will be stuck using the 2011 version until these are added.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please make it possible to use "them", "their", and "themselves" as a singular non-gendered pronoun.

Right now it is only possible to use the singular pronouns "him" and "her". While this is not intentionally excluding a large number of people, it is not inclusive. Also, it is frustrating to write "himself and herself" instead of "themselves" when we use the latter in conversation and writing all the time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow to optional disable OneDrive - set the Save/Open dialog to permanently use local storage

let the user completely disable OneDrive integration so that the default open/save dialog point to the local store

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add support for force click on words to view definition, synonyms, wikipedia entries, etc.

OS X has a built in feature that lets you view information on something when you force click it. Word does not allow this feature (and I'm assuming the rest of the Office suite does not either), but it would be great if you could add it.

View more info here: https://developer.apple.com/osx/force-touch/

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Insert page numbers function

Please return the insert page numbers icon back where it used to be in previous versions of Word. It is currently buried under headers and footers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. PLEASE make preferences sticky in track changes.

I'm being told there is no current workaround for this issue in Word for Mac 2016: Using Word for Mac 2011 we were able to set preferences for track changes. However, now we cannot, and Word "resets" to the default each time for markup options, balloons, etc. Please change this to provide another or an expanded existing icon in Word/Preferences so that we (who edit hundreds of documents per month) can tell Word that in EACH document I edit, please make the changes this way. Even when setting preferences in a given document, once that doc is saved and re-opened,…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. You should be able to delete custom document properties via Applescript

As I mentioned at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macstart/deleting-custom-document-properties-with/295e6685-5285-4ee5-a0fa-cb592da36ae1

You can add and edit custom document properties via Applescript but don't seem to be able to delete them. Seems a bit inconsistent that you can't?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make it launch quicker :) Please, as quick as the windows version :)

Launching the microsoft apps is quite slow on macs, while it qui quite instantaneous on windows ...
    Could you do something to help with that ?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Equation Editor not working properly in Word for MacBook

The features are not all working, for instance, you cannot put in exponents using the MacBook. So disappointing...
    I am a math teacher and NEED this tool.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I'm so sick of saving documents and then having them disappear on my computer.

I'm so sick of saving documents and then having them disappear on my computer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Faster horisontal scroll

Let the horisontal scroll be as fast and fluid as the rest of the environment in os x. Take note from e.g. the native Preview application. Now it is just slow. And while you're at it, "lock" the horisontal scroll when doing a vertical scroll - just like preview!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When having 2 or more documents open, they should be open in tab form (just like an interest browser), not in separate windows.

I usually have many word documents open at the same time and I feel like they're all over the place and not organized at all. I think an option should be added where when having 2 or more documents open, they should be open in tab form (just like an interest browser), not in separate windows.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Mac OS X built in dictionary look up with three finger tap.

In OS X you can tap on a word (e.g. in safari, Preview and many other apps) with three fingers and this looks up the word in macs built in dictionary. I would like to use this feature in Word and all the other Office apps too.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improve support for fonts that did not come with Office 2016.

A large number of fonts that work with Office 2011 do not show properly in Office 2016. This issue has got worst post 15.14 update.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to insert images in mail merge

I'd like the ability to insert images in mail merge by means of a path field and an image name field. There simply is no way to do this now, and imagery is a large part of any merged document or email.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I switched on my Mac, and found a number of Word Documents have just disappeared. Please tell me why?

I switched on my Mac, and found a number of Word Documents have just disappeared. Please tell me why? I opened Word like I always do, and the Documents were just not there anymore. After a Microsoft error report, I clicked "Send" and days later, still nothing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix the bugs for Word for Mac

This new version is terrible. I have been trying to insert a chart into a PPT and have had either PPT or excel quit five or six times. I am finally giving up and going to the library to finish my work. Ridiculous.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow images to be pasted into word and displayed correctly please

Please bring back the ability to paste/insert pictures into Office programs without having to change the wrapping in order to see the image. This is very frustrating, especially with documents produced before the recent software updated

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. a COM exception was occurred

The word (word for MAC 15.22) appeared “a COM exception was occurred" when insert citation from endnote

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow orienting the Ribbon vertically

Laptops with their limited screen size are much better suited to having toolbars positioned to the side of a document to maximize the view of a page. Same thing applies to the Ribbon, and since Toolbars are apparently dead for Office 2016 Mac, it would really be nice to be able to orient the Ribbon vertically.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base