Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please remove the 'nag' update ribbon!

I am an Office 2011/365 user and recently updated to Office 2016.
    I found it to be totally horrible & a hindrance to my work-flow.
    Some tasks I was in-fact not even able to complete in the 'new & improved' version as standard features from 2011 have been removed.
    Needless to say I went back to 2011.
    Now, every time I open an app in the suite, I have to dismiss the seriously annoying yellow ribbon that is telling me to upgrade.
    PLEASE remove this annoyance from the next update as it just serves as a daily reminder of how…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. What happened to double-clicking to highlight a word?!

As a writer, I am frustrated that we can no longer simply double- / triple-click on a word or paragraph to highlight & edit it.

No, now I have to carefully place the cursor and drag to highlight the word or passage, or use "fancy" key combinations. This needless change wastes my time. Grrrrr!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Word for Mac 2011 - Bring back the ability to customize the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen.

The Status Bar for Word for Mac 2011 used to be able to be customized. It showed page width, and layout options, etc.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Word 2008 Updates? It says 'NONE, yet there are many!

Any time I check for 'updates' in WORD, it says 'None', yet I know that there is -- 2011! Why?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please make it possible to use "them", "their", and "themselves" as a singular non-gendered pronoun.

Right now it is only possible to use the singular pronouns "him" and "her". While this is not intentionally excluding a large number of people, it is not inclusive. Also, it is frustrating to write "himself and herself" instead of "themselves" when we use the latter in conversation and writing all the time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Word 2011 version for iMac 14.6.2(160219) don't runs well with printer Brother MFC-J5320DW (OS X Yosemite 10.10.5)

Word 2011 version for iMac 14.6.2(160219) don't runs well with printer Brother MFC-J5320DW (OS X Yosemite 10.10.5)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Complex script font support as of Windows version

Word for mac doesn't come with complex script font selection dialog as of Windows version. When will Microsoft update the font selection dialog to be consistent with Windows version?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Faster horisontal scroll

Let the horisontal scroll be as fast and fluid as the rest of the environment in os x. Take note from e.g. the native Preview application. Now it is just slow. And while you're at it, "lock" the horisontal scroll when doing a vertical scroll - just like preview!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to insert images in mail merge

I'd like the ability to insert images in mail merge by means of a path field and an image name field. There simply is no way to do this now, and imagery is a large part of any merged document or email.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search bug with cmd+G and cmd+shift+G

Hello in version 15.20 is a big bug.

If I do a search and I go through the hits with cmd+G or cmd+shift+G and I do it fast then Word is hanging.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [Alt] click on the Navigator-triangle opens or close all on this entries of this level

Hello I would love to see a easier navigation in the Navigator. So if I press [Alt] and then click on the Navigator-triangle opens or close all on this entries of this level. So its a lot faster to find the right entry. If you have a lot of headings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Latvian spelling bugs

Some words in the Latvian spell-checker are wrong and need to be replaced with correct forms. For the start, here is a short list (sources: Latviešu valodas pareizrakstības un pareizrunas vārdnīca, LLVV, LPE, Svešvārdu vārdnīca):
    tādejādi -> tādējādi
    priviliģēts -> privileģēts
    intraverts -> introverts
    ekumēnisks -> ekumenisks
    Sokrāts -> Sokrats
    Hipokrāts -> Hipokrats
    nomaldas -> nomaldās

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How about fixing the bug in Track Changes that won't allow you to get rid of changes markup?

Problem: Unselecting Track Changes markups in Word, saving, and then storing (or even worse - sending) a document. When opening the document again, Track Changes magically are back. Nothing in the meny system allows you to get rid of the markups.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can't see "Save" button in File Save / Save As dialog box in Word on MacBook Pro 13"- this is NOT GOOD!

Can't see "Save" button in File Save / Save As dialog box in Word on MacBook Pro 13"- this is NOT GOOD! I can't cancel after I've asked to go to the save menu!! I paid for Microsoft Office for Mac - please fix!!!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 'Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full' - this is rubbish, plenty of space on both of my Macs. Please fix.

Please fix incompatibility of Word with Mac El Capitan. Tired of losing files of my macbook and iMac. Looking for alternative to Microsoft programs to switch.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Crashes too often, keyboard shortcuts don't work AT ALL, and foreign key is unstable

Currently I'm using Word 2011, after the last two updates, the program progressively got worse.

First, when I use the keyboard shortcuts, they fail to change what I typed into what I want. For example, I type --> or <-- and it doesn't change into an arrow, as it used to with the previous updates. It is annoying because it used to be a basic format change, but now I have to manually find that arrow in symbols.

Second, I could be working on something and suddenly it crashes or when I close one of the Word windows, the entire…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. combine

Capacity to combine any number of word documents to create a single document as in the Windows version

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Save button for Word for Mac

I can't click "save" when using the "save as" feature as the mac dock at the bottom covers the "save" button

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. We need to be able to Copy-Paste into the Find function!

It is quite frankly idiotic that I have to type every single letter of every word or phrase into WORD's Find function instead of being able to copy & paste them as before. What's up with that?!

After using this update for several months, I can safely say it is NOT an upgrade in any way.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base