Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Remove the edit lock on read-only files

This new 'feature' means all docs opened in read-only mode (like every attachment from Outlook) are unfortunately locked for editing until they are duplicated/saved. I definitely don’t want to save the dozens of attachments I access on a daily basis, but sometimes you want to tweak some spacing to print a document or jot down some notes to take a call. This just adds extra minutes to every day and contributes to file bloat.

190 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this read only fiasco! Or at least let us turn off this very annoying "feature". Presently it is clumsy and a waste of time to have to first rename and then resave every document you open from trusted coworkers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this feature, or at least allow it to be switched off. It is highly annoying to be forced to save a document before being able to edit it. It should be my choice as a user, not being forced into it by MS Outlook/MS Word.

There needs to be an option to turn it off. It is maddening and wastes time.
    This is awful Remove ASAP.This is a very irritating the time consuming attribure. Please give us the option to remove it.

Agreed. Please remove this "feature." It's a time-sucking, unnecessary, and unhelpful tool.
    Thanks,
    Jason

This is a very irritating the time consuming attribure. Please give us the option to remove it.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would prefer the default to open to allow edit unless there is a conscious choice to lock the docuement by the sender. There is no need for MS to make this decision on behalf of the sender.

• PB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Common Microsoft - Under Review since 2016 and still no solution!

This is extremely frustrating and a waste of time and effort. It appears that this has been "under review" for almost 30 months. Does "under review" actually mean "go away, we couldn't give a **** about this problem"? If not, when will Microsoft release a "fix" for this?

• Linda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I swear I'm about to throw my computer out of the window. There is no Trust Center on a Mac. This feature is killing me. Can we please get an answer how to disable this?

this is a huge time waster for those of us who open lots of documents every day. Please remove this default.

read-only files add unnecessary steps. Totally unacceptable and there is no possible rationale for this that would make sense to me

One more ****** off user. Seriously. and for those who have offered a solution. Check again, this is word for MAC and the solution you suggest does NOT exist.

Please count my vote... fix this problem as soon as possible. Files should open and be editable immediately.

• will palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would request that any word document mailed by Outlook be unlocked on Mac. If I use Mac Mail instead it opens fine. This becomes an incentive to stop using Outlook on my Mac and use Apple mail instead.

How has this not been addressed in 3 years? If its due to prioritizing security then why do I not suffer the same on windows version?

Please give us the option to access files without having to make needless copies and waste productivity and time!

+1. I understand the rationale but this is maddening, and you've got to give the option of turning it off!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my name to this - it is driving me MAD! It is typical of the arrogance of MS to dump this on users a) as a default and b) with no option to remove it. Even Open Office is starting to look attractive :-(

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base