Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Remove the edit lock on read-only files

This new 'feature' means all docs opened in read-only mode (like every attachment from Outlook) are unfortunately locked for editing until they are duplicated/saved. I definitely don’t want to save the dozens of attachments I access on a daily basis, but sometimes you want to tweak some spacing to print a document or jot down some notes to take a call. This just adds extra minutes to every day and contributes to file bloat.

176 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

136 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

read-only files add unnecessary steps. Totally unacceptable and there is no possible rationale for this that would make sense to me

One more ****** off user. Seriously. and for those who have offered a solution. Check again, this is word for MAC and the solution you suggest does NOT exist.

Please count my vote... fix this problem as soon as possible. Files should open and be editable immediately.

• will palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would request that any word document mailed by Outlook be unlocked on Mac. If I use Mac Mail instead it opens fine. This becomes an incentive to stop using Outlook on my Mac and use Apple mail instead.

How has this not been addressed in 3 years? If its due to prioritizing security then why do I not suffer the same on windows version?

Please give us the option to access files without having to make needless copies and waste productivity and time!

+1. I understand the rationale but this is maddening, and you've got to give the option of turning it off!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my name to this - it is driving me MAD! It is typical of the arrogance of MS to dump this on users a) as a default and b) with no option to remove it. Even Open Office is starting to look attractive :-(

Saving documents and then reopening them is such a colossal waste of time for users. If MS is concerned about viruses etc., make this feature optional and let Word users decide for themselves.

While I appreciate the concerns of posters here and I think this should at least be an opt in option with the software, I have a few staff wishing to turn this off but I have survived with it for 2 years and adapted my practices accordingly

A few notes:

As a writer, would you not want incremental saves of your writings after each edit so you can have an archive of your writings progress, maybe if you didnt agree with an editor you could go back and not have the edits in your writing?

If you are working on collaborative documents and emailing copies to each other instead of working from a cloud service or server then you need to work on your workflow not criticise this bug.

If you weren't already opening a document and saving it before changes were made again, thats a workflow issue.

Finally: If microsoft fix this you wont use their onedrive space where this issue doesnt occur, so why would they?

• Moe Rock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!!! So annoying. So now I have tons of saved files I have to go back and delete!

It's incredibly frustrating to have to save every document, then go back/delete. Often I just need to make a couple changes to a document before printing... I don't need to save it.
        How can I not have permissions do things on my own computer????

• Bill Deakin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

completely agree. It has only just started happening with my Mac. I don t want to save hundreds of copies. Really annoying. I never had a problem when opening and editing directly. Whose idea was this???

It's very frustrating to only be able see 365 email attachments (word, ppt and excel) in read-only mode. How can we change this please?

For the love of God, fix this problem. I am going nuts having to unnecessarily duplicate documents.

Attachments opening as read-only and then forcing us to duplicate and save the file is a nuisance. PLEASE let us disable this.

• Ted King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're reviewing your suggestion - Jul 6, 2016. . . says a lot there, doesn't it? Please remove all restrictions on incoming documents.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base