Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

PLEASE! Bring Back notebook layout for Word for Mac 2016

OneNote is not ready yet to replace this wonderful feature that was previously included in Word.

Thanks!

48 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Eugenia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this Notebook view and found it very useful for collecting research info before preparing a final presentation. Suddenly it disappears. Please bring it back asap. Keith

Quite frankly I think it's BS that what I paid for now has less than when I bought it. I used Notebook all the time and now that function is gone.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word for Mac 16.12 keeps the features of Notebook layout, but can NOT name or rename the sections. I have to restore the previous version 16.11.1 to find the section names.
        So much trouble.
        Tried hard to use OneNote. It is not good for multiple, complicated project

• Farmamama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, this is awful. I had separate notebooks set up for my many clients and I do not want them all in one app like Onenote. Are you kidding me? Freezing and now my notebooks sections/dividers no longer hold their names.

• David Corsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like Microsoft has heard our pleas. Now under the View Menu in Word 2016 version 16.11.1 there is a "Notebook Layout" feature. Clicked on it and it worked.

Thanks Microsoft for listening.

Please bring back Notebook. Years of genealogy research and ongoing research are kept in various Notebook documents. Just updated to Office for Mac 2016. Not happy that Notebook format is gone. Perfect for what I was doing adding a tab for each ancestor. I am starting to Use Google Docs, Slides, etc. MS don't tempt me to jump ship from MS to another platform. P.S. No thank you for OneNote.

I've tried (because Word virtually forces me to do so) to use OneNote instead of Notebook layout, but OneNote does not work well for creating multiple articles for my magazine. It's too unstructured. Notebook layout was perfect, but now I'm getting the freezing that another commenter described. I'm now looking for an alternative to Microsoft products altogether, because I'm tired of Microsoft's games.

So frustrating. I like the super simple format of the notebook layout. OneNote has far more bells and whistles than I need or want and doesn't give me the info at a glance that I can get in Word notebook layout.

Meanwhile, the notebook layout is now freezing a lot. I'm sure it has to do purposeful obsolescence that Microsoft is working into updates, but that doesn't make it any more annoying. Why not give us choice?

• Stacey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whoever decided to get rid of the notebook layout should be beaten and cast into a fiery pit! One Note is not the same thing, the Notebook layout is so much better for what most people are looking for because it's LIKE A REAL NOTEBOOK! I am uninstalling Word 2016 and re-installing my 2011 version. I won't buy a new version until it has the Notebook layout like the previous versions did.

• Autumn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the notebook layout! With this new update on Word, I can't even use the template, which I saved from the previous version of Word, and I really miss not having it. I don't like OneNote as much. The layout just isn't ideal and not as easily accessible to me since I have to go online and I don't always have an internet connection when I work. So, please bring back the notebook layout!

• Caroline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like OneNote at all. Improving it won't make me like it. I just want the simple notebook layout. Please, bring that back as a template.

OneNote has some serious formatting problems and is no where near comparable to the notebook layout that word 2013 had

• Nabila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kindly bring back the notebook layout to Word, as the efficiency in note taking, audio recording with automated markers with every line, the convenience in saving it in several different formats if need be is what makes it irreplaceable. Losing this option has been a great inconvenience as even the layout alone doesn't have the same interface with recordings as the original did. Please bring it back.

• tolga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ITS JUST A TEMPLATE THAT WE ALREADY LOVED AND USED. PLEASE BRING IT BACK.

• Cindy P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am delaying updating because this format is very much a part of my work. I may try David's idea but very concerned about losing notebook format capabilty by upgrading.

• Mia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strongly agree that Microsoft should bring notebook layout for word 2016. OneNote is incomparable and difficult to use!

I don't want to use One Note. It freezes my account and wont let me create notebooks and I have to pay to use it. Which is highly annoying. If I have to pay for it once fine, so be it I'll buy it. But it is not worth a subscription.

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just downloaded what David posted and it worked! So glad to have notebook layout view back in my life. David, you are a lifesaver thank you!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base