Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Return Writing Styles in Grammar Checker in Word 2016

In Word 2011 You could go to Spelling & Grammar Preference and Choose from several Writing Styles:
Casual
Standard
Formal
Technical
Custom

In 2016 this has been completely left out. Many Doctors, Lawyers College Personnel and student, Technical Manual Writers, Government agencies will have to find another Product take up the slack.

290 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Phillip M. Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

135 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found the functions for two spaces after sentences!
        Open Word click on File and click on Options.
        Click on Proofing and go down to "writing style"
        Click on "Settings"
        Then scroll to the bottom of that window and you will find the drop down to select two spaces after the period.
        :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE return the writing styles, and other more advanced options to the Grammar Check in Word 2016. Removing them was a terrible mistake!!!

• Annie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the passive voice checking and inclusion in the readability stats back. These are essential business writing tools!

• Rick Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I do not generally like the Grammar Checker in Word 2016, I have to say that the option to check for 1 or 2 spaces between sentences is there. So far I haven't checked that it works. I do know that some of the other checks do not work, eg. the use of an adjective when an adverb would be correct.

I used to be able to pick between my preference between 1 or 2 spaces after a period for proofing help. My job requires all my document writings use 2 spaces after the period and now with Office 2016 I have no way of checking this with the proofing tool. Please bring back this functionality.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I revert to a lower version of Word that still has this functionality? Updates are supposed to add functionality, not remove it? This is easily the most used feature for APA writing. I used to have Word 2013 with this function.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please bring this functionality back. Most advanced users depended heavily on many of these features to make their writing more efficient.

Technology-savvy APA-style writers are very disappointed.

• Maria Stroemer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Comments state that passive voice can be identified w/ a new update but I'm not seeing that option on my screen. Are we still waiting for that feature?

• Adeline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are using Word 2016 through MAC you can search "." in the top right corner search box. Then click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass, then select replace and it will guide you to the "find and replace" pane. Two boxes will be displayed, type a ". " plus a space in the first box and then type a "." plus two spaces in the second box and select replace all. This has worked well for me. Just don't forget to add two spaces after the period. You may have to try a few times with deleting the spaces but you can use this function to automatically correct your whole document. You can also go tools>spelling and grammar>options>settings> select two spaces after sentences so that it will not display as an error.

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a doctoral student writing a dissertation in APA 6th edition which requires two spaces after a period. Please bring this functionality back and put out an update.

• JMK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please put this back! AND please return the ability to specify how many spaces are after each sentence. APA requires 2.

• Heidi L. Dempsey, Ph.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need two spaces after a period since I am a psychology professor and require all of my students to write in APA style for every assignment in every class. And we now have Office 365 for the whole university, so students are almost entirely writing in Word. It has been very frustrating this semester to deal with this issue. The other major issue that is problematic with Word is that it automatically adds a space between paragraphs which I have to try to tell every student how to turn that off in Word. Why is that an automatic feature? That is not how any formal papers using paragraph-style with any style guide are written. It is only technical writing where you skip a line when you don't indent paragraphs. Thus, the default to should not be to skip a line between paragraphs. I also agree that the passive voice checker needs to be added back.

• Gini Mc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Woo Hoo! Passive Voice and some other options are back. Came in with the latest update (about 2 weeks ago). Still no Styles as listed above.

• Christofer Michaels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had known Office 365 dropped the Writing Styles from Office 2011, I never would have lost $99 to Microsoft. Office 2011 was MUCH better!

• Go F yourself commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Word Product Team: Go F--- yourselves for removing writing styles and, especially, the passive voice checker. You are contributing to the dumbing down of the American public.

I hope this is close to implementation. I am graduate student wherein my academic papers all require APA format - two spaces after a period. I was flabbergasted when I learned the option was removed. Please create an add-in or integrated back into the Word software. THANK YOU

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base