How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word count

Please bring back the "words out of total" view, which very easily shows us how many words we have of the total word count in a document. It's ridiculous that you have removed this option from Word for Mac 2016. I'm dumping it straightaway and going back to Word for Mac 2011.

243 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DeeCeeDeeCee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

96 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in academia and writing daily using word. desperate to have this feature back!

This is essential for professional writers and editors, for which word is standard RESTORE THIS NOW

• David SchneckDavid Schneck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does Microsoft have against professional writers? We need the word count like on the old word. I won’t go to word 2016 for Mac until the feature is restored.

• Jo KempJo Kemp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spent ages looking for how to turn this feature on as I couldn't believe it would have been removed! So useful when it was there and a great loss now it's gone.

• MHMH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe I upgraded and this basic feature is missing! Please restore it.

• KeithKeith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really really really want this feature back!!!!! It's critical for professional writers, and it was in past versions.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key feature for professional writers, and it come close to rendering this version of Mac completely useless. I am going to revert to an earlier version until this is fixed. I cannot believe that MS decided to leave it out!

• Pat ReussPat Reuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out where/when this feature "disappeared" and how to get it back, only to find my way here. I'm a copyeditor and the lack of this functionality makes my work day much more frustrating than it needs to be. And coming up on two year of "reviewing"? How ridiculous.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Live Word Count is essential for editing! How can Microsoft not figure this out—and what need was there to remove it?!

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this essential feature - I am an academic and write to word counts all the time, and still miss this feature every single time I use Word. Surely it's a basic fix to put it back?

Yes please bring this feature back. I had gone back to Word 2011 just because this feature was lacking in what 16. But now, the bug of 2011 which makes all the data in a file suddenly changes to asterisks is repeatedly tormenting me. That's why I'm again considering 2016 version with its updates. Am appalled to see that it has not been added even now. Can't understand at all why it was removed in the first place and why despite so many requests has it not been brought back. If it is not going to be included, I may well have to look beyond the world of office for my word processing needs.

I'm an editor and I really miss this feature. My worklife would be much easier if you restored it!

• KathyFKathyF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need this feature. Have just spent an hour of valuable writing time trying to figure out how to get it back. While there are certain features on Word 2016 I love, this may be the deal breaker for me and force me back to previous version. Please fix!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base