How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word count

Please bring back the "words out of total" view, which very easily shows us how many words we have of the total word count in a document. It's ridiculous that you have removed this option from Word for Mac 2016. I'm dumping it straightaway and going back to Word for Mac 2011.

267 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DeeCee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

113 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, as a writer, this feature is crucial for me. I just upgraded to the current version from Word for Mac 2011 and I'm very unhappy that it's gone.

• Greg McIvor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a writer and editor and the removal of this feature from Word 2016 is infuriating and I'm currently considering reverting to Word 2011. Please restore this feature!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a computer consultant. I have at least 6 clients in the last 2 months who have asked where to find their missing "live word count" from Microsoft Word for Mac 2016. Four of them have reverted to previous versions, one even going so far as to reinstall an earlier OS so they can use their old version of Word. One has stopped using Word altogether, and won't resume until "live word count" comes back. So multiply my 1 vote by 6. I'm sure there will be more.

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree. It was a ridiculous move to remove live word count. It's an extremely important feature for those of us who rely on it for our jobs.

Please bring this feature back, it was very useful to me. How fearful I have become of upgrading!

• Adam Logan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost 2018 and this feature still isn't here? This to me is the most conspicuously missing feature on their flagship product. I would like at least a hotkey to the word count feature. A modular option to show word count / character account was what I was expecting when starting to use Word for the Mac.

I used Word 2004 until very recently precisely because I was afraid of such "improvements" when upgrading. I can't for the life of me understand how you could leave this essential feature out. Very dissatisfied.

Another help would the ability to have Word count past 100,000. I write novels (when I'm suitably inspired) and it is a rare novel that is under 100,000; most are around 125K, so having a bigger count would be nice.

• Adeline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upgraded my desktop copy of Word and regretted it immediately so I have not upgraded my laptop copy to keep this valuable feature.

• Wil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolutely essential feature. Please put this functionality back in MS word 2016.

I am in university, and writing daily using word. desperate to have this feature back for assignments!

• JP Musselboro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this was removed! I'm trying to put an older version of word back on my computer just to have this feature back.

I am in academia and writing daily using word. desperate to have this feature back!

This is essential for professional writers and editors, for which word is standard RESTORE THIS NOW

• David Schneck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does Microsoft have against professional writers? We need the word count like on the old word. I won’t go to word 2016 for Mac until the feature is restored.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base