How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word count

Please bring back the "words out of total" view, which very easily shows us how many words we have of the total word count in a document. It's ridiculous that you have removed this option from Word for Mac 2016. I'm dumping it straightaway and going back to Word for Mac 2011.

256 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DeeCee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

104 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used Word 2004 until very recently precisely because I was afraid of such "improvements" when upgrading. I can't for the life of me understand how you could leave this essential feature out. Very dissatisfied.

Another help would the ability to have Word count past 100,000. I write novels (when I'm suitably inspired) and it is a rare novel that is under 100,000; most are around 125K, so having a bigger count would be nice.

• Adeline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upgraded my desktop copy of Word and regretted it immediately so I have not upgraded my laptop copy to keep this valuable feature.

• Wil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolutely essential feature. Please put this functionality back in MS word 2016.

I am in university, and writing daily using word. desperate to have this feature back for assignments!

• JP Musselboro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this was removed! I'm trying to put an older version of word back on my computer just to have this feature back.

I am in academia and writing daily using word. desperate to have this feature back!

This is essential for professional writers and editors, for which word is standard RESTORE THIS NOW

• David Schneck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does Microsoft have against professional writers? We need the word count like on the old word. I won’t go to word 2016 for Mac until the feature is restored.

• Jo Kemp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spent ages looking for how to turn this feature on as I couldn't believe it would have been removed! So useful when it was there and a great loss now it's gone.

• MH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe I upgraded and this basic feature is missing! Please restore it.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really really really want this feature back!!!!! It's critical for professional writers, and it was in past versions.

This is a key feature for professional writers, and it come close to rendering this version of Mac completely useless. I am going to revert to an earlier version until this is fixed. I cannot believe that MS decided to leave it out!

• Pat Reuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out where/when this feature "disappeared" and how to get it back, only to find my way here. I'm a copyeditor and the lack of this functionality makes my work day much more frustrating than it needs to be. And coming up on two year of "reviewing"? How ridiculous.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base