Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word count

Please bring back the "words out of total" view, which very easily shows us how many words we have of the total word count in a document. It's ridiculous that you have removed this option from Word for Mac 2016. I'm dumping it straightaway and going back to Word for Mac 2011.

288 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DeeCee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a professional writer and need the live word count. I installed Word 2016 and it's not there. It was also removed from Word 2011, that's why I installed 2016. Please bring it back!

• Jeromy Caballero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a marketing copywriter with specific word counts to adhere to, I was always using that feature. I'm disappointed that it's not in the 2016 version! That was a big oversight by Microsoft. This, along with a few other features, is pushing me back to the 2011 version.

• Alex Planidin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just upgraded and now find this essential feature missing (and googled it to find out what happened). Why remove it???
        I'll be going back to Word 2011 too. Please add this feature asap.

I am an editor and I absolutely need to be able to see a live word count of the partial document at any point. Please restore that feature.

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see this was described as "Under review" way back in 2016!!! It is now 2018. This is an ESSENTIAL tool. I have just upgraded from Office 2004 to 2016 with a new MacBook and wish I had not done so!
        PLEASE bring it back. Surely It cannot be difficult to do so.

• Amanda M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently "upgraded" to Office 365 and see this still hasn't been resolved. Please add this feature back--I am a professional editor and writer who often works with documents that are hundreds of pages long. It is essential for sense-checking pacing, etc., that this feature be added back in. If it isn't added back in, I will have to cancel my Office 365 subscription and revert back to an older version of Word.

• Anonymous Editor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also an editor and writer. I just upgraded to Word 2016 and see that this essential feature is missing. I'm planning to switch back to an earlier version. Microsoft: Please return the essential feature of dynamic word count.

Just had to update to the newer version of word due to having to replace my old macbook . I agree with everyone here- this is terrible for professional writers. I'm an academic and having to think about word counts as I go along. The new word seems ugly to use but maybe that's one of those things you get used to after a while and you come to like it. But this is just pointlessly removing something that was a small thing but immensely useful if you actually use this programme for writing.

• sands commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is extremely useful when you want to copy the first 5k or 10k of your document. How can I do this without highlighting pages and pages of the document? please bring it back

• E. Weller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a fiction writer using word, this was a main feature that I used constantly. I'm disappointed and extremely frustrated that this function was removed! Restore it immediately please!

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, as a writer, this feature is crucial for me. I just upgraded to the current version from Word for Mac 2011 and I'm very unhappy that it's gone.

• Greg McIvor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a writer and editor and the removal of this feature from Word 2016 is infuriating and I'm currently considering reverting to Word 2011. Please restore this feature!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base