Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Giving the option of customizing the quick launch toolbar

Well the topic ist enough :)

60 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nico Chiaro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very poorly implemented.

1. Not all commands are available and it seems arbitrary which are and which aren't.
        2. Icons are often missing or generic.
        3. Customization pane in Preferences doesn't provide descriptions or tooltips to make it possible to know what each command does.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK so I can now add a lot of differenet commands to the QAT, but most of them are given a generic circle icon, which cannot be edited or changed. Of the ten circles now in my QAT how should I tell which Circle does what????

• Pamela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is great to have this available, but why are the choices for what you can add to the QAT so limited?

• Chip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not great news. My business bought office not a subscription to,365. This provides NO VALUE. Based on recent behaviors in W10 deployment this is not unexpected. They do not care about individuals.

• Chris McKulka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad you are building this "now" but is this basic functionality really a seven month project? Any ETA? Ugh. This is my biggest frustration with the overall Office 2016 for Mac suite.

• Jan Oldenburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an essential feature for serious users and it is deeply frustrating that it is gone, making Word for Mac a poor stepchild of the Windows version. There are commands I use frequently that are simply not available on the ribbon and the only way to get to them (other than custom keystrokes) was to through the QAT--or they require multi-level clicking on the toolbar. Examples are "go to end of document" or "insert footnote." It is ridiculous to offer the minor functionality of including a few icons and allowing me to select or unselect them. That is not true customization. Bring back the full level of customization of allowing me to add any function I want to the QAT!

• Deborah Shadovitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customization of the Toolbar or Ribbon is essential. It was one of the top things that people thanked me for teaching them in the Office 98 Bible and when I taught Word/Excel. I am happy that this is coming back. At least the word processing (typing) functions should be customizable.

• Tony F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's essential to allow users of Word for Mac 2016 to add commands to the Quick Access menu. As it is now, the choices are VERY limited. It's possible to customize the Quick Access menu on the Windows version of Word. It should also be allowed on the Mac version.

• Sothea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The mini toolbar for Windows was extremely helpful but is not included on a Mac! As I review my document, cut and paste, it has become a tedious task to move my mouse between the Ribbon and the highlighted word!!! I like the convenience of the pop up mini toolbar under the highlighted word, it makes it very convenient!!!! Please give us the option of activating this feature, don't just take it out completely!!!!!!

The mini toolbar for Windows was extremely helpful but is not included on a Mac! As I review my document, cut and paste, it has become a tedious task to move my mouse between the Ribbon and the highlighted word!!! I like the convenience of the pop up mini toolbar under the highlighted word, it makes it very convenient!!!! Please give us the option of activating this feature, don't just take it out completely!!!!!!

The pop up mini toolbar was also never included in the Word for Macs!!! I have created many document and have relied on the ease and convenience of the pop up mini toolbar that I had with Windows. Now I have the annoyingly, tedious task of going up and down between the Font options in the Ribbon and the the highlighted word! You need to give people the preference of having this pop up option vs taking it out completely!!!!

For a word processor we lost features in this version..this one was a BIG one to lose!!

This is a serious problem that affects the usability of this product. I would uninstall and return to the previous version until this problem is fixed. This product should never have been released without a customizable tool bar.

• John Atkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customizing the Toolbar is Essential for how my company has been working in Word for at least a decade. The default interface makes it impossible for us to do certain essential functions. In addition, the Add-ins feature does not add in toolbars from an attached template, which makes it impossible to easily access functionality that we used to be able to do with just a button click.

• Rolf Pein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with Office on my iMac now for a few weeks but i do not understand why i cannot customize the Toolbars in Word or Excel like under Windows...WHY????

• Sri Aiyer Raju Sreenivasan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For God's sake please give us back the Toolbar driven word as we used to have till MS Office 2003. From Office 2007 onwards formatting a page, editing, has become a pain. For those esoterically inclined let them have the default-styles provided in 2007 onwards, but for the users of the Old, at least give us the option of having the Menubar [toolbar] back. Thanks. The idea should be to make the programme as much user-friendly as possible while improving the options available; it should never be to make things complicated and difficult. THANKS.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base