Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word for Mac 2008 crashes in Mojave when asked to print. How is that progress, and what can I do about it?

Word for Mac 2008 crashes in Mojave when asked to print. How is that progress, and what can I do about it?

41 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daniel Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It isn't Microsoft's fault that Apple has continued to update its operating system since 2008. If you want your software to run in the current OS on current hardware, you sometimes have to be willing to upgrade your software.

• Joyner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word 2008 base components are build specifically for the current Mac OS at that time so there's no guarantee that it'll be fully functional on a Mojave OS. This version has been faced out by Microsoft and will not get updates necessary to keep it at par with Mojave.

• Thet Khaing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Microsoft Word 2019 on my Mac it is operating Mojave OS. I am having one problem in showing Myanmar 3 font error. Let me know the solution on how to solve it.

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, using printer icon works, but only for one copy.
    SaveAs PDF first, then open in Preview to get all printing options.
    Works but a pain.

I have two Macbook Pros, both with same version of Word 12.3.3 and Mohave 10.14.2

The 15" Retina, late 2013, exhibits the crashing behavior when printing from Word

However the 13" Retina, early 2015, does not crash

The error message when trying to print from Word on the 15" near the beginning says:

Dyld Error Message:
    Symbol not found: _PMSessionPrintDialogInit
    Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Word
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon

Sure enough, when I look at those two "Carbon" files on the two machines they are different.

Both are "Unix Executables" 34K bytes, in the same place

The one that doesn't crash is dated Nov 29.
    The one that crashes is dated Sep 20.

I opened the files up and got a terminal window where I could see some differences, but decided not to either edit the crashing file or copy in the one that's not crashing, a little over my head and didn't want to break things further. If someone's interested I could post the contents of the two files.

The error message

• Dorothy K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having same problem. Should i upgrade to a new version of Microsoft word?
    DK

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot retrive documents stored in recent file folder once inadvertently cleared. Can those files be retrived, if so, how and if not a procedure should be added. Thanks

• AYoung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1/8/19 - Everyt ime I try to print or print to PDF in Word 2008 it crashes. Using MacOS Mojave 10.14. SO VERY ANNOYING and NO HELP FROM APPLE OR MS!! Please fix or advise what to do to stop crashing every time I try to print or save to PDF????? Please help!

• Steven Desmet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem that I cannot print.
    Another thing that isn't working anymore...its impossible to insert a picture from your picture, even if you allow acces to your pictures. If i try to make an update it says the the server is not accessible.
    Is there already a solution for these problems?

• Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally found the workaround in a post on November 10. Use the print icon at the top of the Word document, and it prints. It does not provide any other capabilities, like convert to pdf.

Hello Microsoft and Apple: are you listening? Why aren't you fixing this?

Isn't anyone from Microsoft listening to us on your Microsoft website? We can't print from Word docs on our Macs with Mojave. Hello Microsoft, are you there?

YES, Word 2008 quits when I try to print from OS 14 (Mojave). Has there been a fix?

I'm having the same problem too.....this stinks. Hoping someone will post a fix. Had 100+ Christmas labels to print, now I have to hand write them. Oh well.

Was advised to contact Microsoft regarding a problem I'm having with Word on a MAC computer and not being able to print. Have never had this problem in the past and am wondering if there is a compatibility problem between Microsoft and MAC's Mojave update. Looking through the comments below, it would seem that by now this issue would have been fixed.

Office 2008 and 2011 are 32-bit applications. Apple announced that High Sierra (OS 10.13.x) would be the last OS that provides complete support for 32-bit applications. Mojave is supposed to support them but they are not promising that everything will work. After Mojave it's curtains for 32-bit applications. BTW, I am using Office 2011 and bought Office 2019 in anticipation of this transition. But Office 2019 is awful and ugly, particularly if you customize the toolbar. I tried Office 2016 as an alternative and it is even worse. So the future does not look bright.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base