Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Add choice to NOT share diagnostic data

After the latest Office update, every time I open an Office app, I am presented with a window with the heading, "Share how you use Office" and given two choices: "Full diagnostic data" and "Basic diagnostic data." However, I don't wish to automatically share any diagnostic data, although there is no option for that. However, I am not forced to make a choice, as I can simply click the red "X" to close the window and continue to use Office as normal. The problem is this window pops up every time I open an Office app. Since this is obviously not required, please add an option to NOT share diagnostic data in order to permanently dismiss this window.

41 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don’t understand why people don’t like this setting. We all use Word regular and when a bug arises we want it fixed. How can we know about bugs/performance problems if nobody contributes with analytics/diagnostic data. Trust me this setting is for your best interest so enable full diagnostic data.

Please add an option to not submit any diagnostic data. Respect your customers' privacy. We are keeping you in business.

• hcq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this forced feedback will not stop. i will cancel MS Office in my company and my (extented) family.
        Fed up with MS.
        Put instead more effort in making Office 365 (Word) more stable on Mac OS. It crashes ways too often.

Wholy ****, why do i need to agree to " I agree to the storage of my email address, name, and IP address. This information and any feedback I provide may be used to inform product decisions and to notify me about product updates. (You can opt-out at any time.) "

This company wants me to leave

• J J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now they are forcing everyone to share either 'basic' or 'full' data in order to use any of the Office packages.
        really invasion of privacy, with no way to 'opt out'!

• Richard Payne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been annoyed with Word and Excel for a while now. Excel has been crashing and losing my data regularly on my Mac. But this message popping up EVERY time I open the program is enough to finally have myself, and my company, finally get away from the Office Suite.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is surely illegal under GDPR, and is also just plain annoying. If there's no option not to share added in an update, I'll be uninstalling office and looking for an open source option instead.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The missing choice clearly violates Article 7 of the GDPR. The EU will happily fine you with some more billions of Dollars. That shouldn't be a problem for Microsoft. They are experienced in explaining such financial losses to their shareholders.

this is a kill switch for Office usage in public service in the EU.
        nice one, M$, nice one

I really wonder why they are thinking this would be ok for european users under the new GDPR. I doubt that it's possible to have even the "Basic" transmission of diagnostic data without transmitting and processing any personal data (the GDPR's definition of "personal" is very broad). IANAL, but I think if any personal data is transmitted that is not essential for the product to work, the GDPR mandates that there needs to be a way to opt out.

I would like to add my voice of disquiet to this thread. Here in Europe we have just had the largest overhaul of our on-line privacy rights in a long time with GDPR.
        Not only is it unacceptable to not allow me to use my paid-for software without being hassled every time to sign up to share my data, I suspect it is now unlawful under European law.
        It is not sufficient to say the data will be collected anonymously, as we have no way of knowing how that data will be used, as seen with the recent Facebook data scandal.
        There may be no intent to use the data illegally but we know from past experience that at some point it will be.

TOTALL AGREE!!! This needs to be disabled by default! Forcing users to submit diagnose data by default is not a option!

I don't mind if Microsoft anonymize those reports. This is totally unacceptable. Leaving no option is not a option. I don't know what Microsoft is even thinking. You didn't even consider a opt-out!

I am the original poster. I had to reinstall Office on my Macbook Air, and now if you close the pop-up, the Office application will quit. In other words, Office users are now being FORCED to share data. I encourage everyone, after they have accepted one of the two forced options, immediately click the smiley face at the top right of the application window and then select "Tell Us What Can Be Better" and let your disappointment be known. This is what I sent:

"Please add an option under Preference > Security & Privacy > to opt out of automatically sending diagnostic data. It is not right that users are forced to share data, anonymized or not, in order to use Office applications. Very disappointed in the way this new feature is being implemented."

I agree. This pop up is an eternal annoyance. Every time I open Word, Excel or PPT, it appears. No, I do not want to share data! Why is there not a single opt out of being annoyed ever again by this pop up option?

Feedback and Knowledge Base