Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow Draft View as a default option in Word

Why would Print Layout be the default in a 2016 release? 98% of the docs I create in Word are never printed. The description of Draft View from a support article: "Use draft view to edit and format text quickly when you don't have to see how the content looks when you print it. Draft view shows text formatting but simplifies the layout of the page so that you can type and edit quickly." QUICKLY AND SIMPLY are better.

31 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Irwin Chusid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWord Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

We’ve heard your feedback loud and clear about wanting your documents to open into Draft View in Mac Word.

In an earlier release we had adjusted the default view logic to align with Windows behavior, but recognize that this disrupted many of your workflows on Mac.

For Insider Fast starting in build 16.12 (Build 180314), if you open a document it will open in the last view you used in Word – between Print Layout, Web, Draft, and Outline. (The exception is for new documents, which continue to open in Print Layout view).

Please let us know how this works for you. Your feedback will help us continue to make improvements.

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kalman Brauner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem though I am a PC user. I seem to running “MS Word for Office 365 MSO (16.0.10827.20118) 32 bit” though another place it says, “Version 1809 (Build 10827.20150).” I think that I recall seeing somewhere else that it was “Word 2016.” When I open a Word document I am always thrown into "Print Layout" view even if I saved it in "Draft view." I have (many times) followed the suggestion at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/919599/how-to-change-the-default-view-to-draft-view-in-word. It doesn't work for me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I create a new doucment ... I want the normal template to open in draft view ... not print for all the reasons expressed by others.

It's OK, if existing documents open in the view in which they were saved ... but what about NEW DOCUMENTS ???

HOW CAN I GET NEW DOCUMENTS / e.g., in NORMAL TEMPLATE TO OPEN IN DRAFT VIEW ???

• mona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am tech support and one of our customers thought that i can't fix it and he Insulted me !!!!!!!!1

I dislike using Print Layout to read and write documents that will never be printed. Still, you want Print Layout to be the default view. So be it. But to force my documents into Print Layout every time I reopen them is not just annoying, it's a violation of the basic principle of not interfering with the user's work flow. It's bizarre. Please return our ability to view our documents as we wish.

Yes, the recently removed feature (to reopen a document in the same view as it was saved) makes my work with Word documents so unhappy, that i'm slowly thinking of switching to an alternative writing software.

Yes, Microsoft, this is really frustrating...
        ...and so far I found NO reason at all for having taken away the option "reopen file in same view..."!

• Stewart Wolpin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just spent 45 minutes with tech support trying to solve this very issue! C'mon, MS! Fix this ridiculous issue!

I agree.
        At least a document should be able to be reopened in the same view as it was closed/saved before.

Yes, it is a shame!
        i bet millions of (mac-)users out there are working in "Draft View" every day!
        Microsoft, please react now!

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll just agree with all the other comments. What possible benefit is it to always open in Print View, no matter how the document was saved?

why did you cancel this option a few updates ago?
        i can't find any reason for such a step down!

auch ich finde es schlecht, dass der folgende fehler nach dem letzten update vom 14.02.2018 noch immer nicht behoben wurde, obwohl er schon mit dem 3. update DAVOR erschien:
        seit jenem vergisst jedes word-dokument nach dem schließen und wiederöffnen seine ansichts-einstellung und wird immer in der ansicht "Drucklayout" geöffnet.
        darüber hinaus muss dadurch jedesmal zusätzlich die seitenbreite des word-programm-fensters manuell in der breite verkleinert werden, da es durch die genannte ungewollte automatische umstellung der ansicht mit-verändert wurde.
        das ist unzumutbar.

i use "draft view" almost all my documents and i would like to be able to open any saved document in draft mode, as it was usually possible since decades!

i do agree as well,
        dear developers,
        please at least restore the lost feature "re-open document in the last saved layout again" a.s.a.p.!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base