Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

PC vs Mac features

Make all features that are available in Microsoft PC also available for Mac users. I am fortunate enough to have both a PC and a Mac but it is very frustrating having to go between the 2 operating systems ... the function in particular is the Developer tab. I apparently cannot restrict editing on individual features in a document (say an image), only restrict editing by sections.

66 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Melana Hobbs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian Stollery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I have numerous word documents open, and I restart my computer , the documents USED TO come back in Microsoft Office 11. They no longer reopen in Microsoft Office 2016. PLEASE bring back this feature.

• Robert Lehnen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have MS Office for the Mac and Windows. MS should have made the interface for Office the same for the Mac and Windows versions. Not having this functionality doubles my work time. I hate this software with a passion. Please, please improve this product so that I can recover my sanity.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the publishing view in Word 2016 please. Mac users are not able to use Microsoft Publisher. We need the publishing view to efficiently create things like flyers and newsletters.

• Zach Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vector Image Support please. I can make vector images or pngs on a program I use a lot, but I have to save high resolution pngs that take up space and bloat word documents right now that I would much rather have as svgs.

• Allison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't Word for Mac have ALL the same features as Word for Windows? What is the problem? Is it due to inept Mac engineers or inept Word engineers? Either way you look at it, Mac users are getting the crap end of the stick and I for one am tired of it. It wastes so much of my time, that I'm tempted to file a lawsuit. Someone needs to do something!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ribbon & QuickAccess Toolbar are different/inferior: e.g., I cannot choose the "font" or "font size" boxes from Home Tab to put in QAT, as they aren't listed in "commands from Home Tab" even though they are in the tab. I can't find anywhere the very similar box to select styles. There is no option to move the QAT below the ribbon. I cannot effectively customize QAT bec majority of commands are only accessible to the ribbon, not the QAT--and for the ribbon, I have to put any particular commands in a separate new tab, can't add to existing tabs (e.g., Home tab). Many commands show up in QAT as blank circles, so can't tell what they are. There is no way to select either ribbon or menu items without using mouse. Is there a key combo to apply a diff style? on PC I use [ALT]1 and type the style name, very easy, no pause to use the mouse.

• PBA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you guys. In addition to this there's a bug in the handling of form documents. Ever tried to lift a password from it? All entered data (checkboxes) will be gone when you re-enable the password protection. Does not happen with Word for Windows and this issue exists for years, but nobody has ever fixed it.

• Mr Stephen Elmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very frustrating to see how many features in Office are not available to MAC users. We pay the same price but get a second rate product.

• Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Specially when it comes to integrating vector images into a word document, the new word 2017 for Mac is kind of a p... i. t.. a.. . If you want to integrate a vector image on mac, you are lost (completely lost). There is no longer a supported format (while in Word 2010 for mac pdf was widely useable).

On PC i can integrate an svg file - but in the background, word uses svg for PCs and changes the svg into a png for macs. The file then contains both files - which makes it bigger in filesize.

Not being able to use vectors on a mac is a bit weired, because macs are made for good looking grafics... And: in PPT i can integrate vectors via the clipboard with ease - why is this not in word?

Feedback and Knowledge Base