How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Add or Enable Comment Shading (or otherwise improve comment visibilty)

There is a serious problem in the current version of Word with comments becoming lost among the various tracked changes. This was not much of a problem in Word for Mac 2011 due to the colored background of the comments. The colors made comments stand out and differentiated them from the tracked changes.

Really the only way to handle comments now is to turn off the visibility of tracked changes. This is a problem, both because it requires a learning curve for clients and (more importantly) because often the purpose of the comments is to explain a change. So one has to hide "insertions and deletions," find the comments and read them, turn "insertions and deletions" back on to figure out what the comment is talking about, etc. It's really a pain.

All this could be fixed by simply allowing comment shading as was present in earlier versions of Word.

I've even tried to duplicate this manually by modifying the styles for "Comment Text" and Balloon Text" and adding text shading, but for some reason this doesn't seem to work either.

Please help make our comments more visible!

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea