Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Comment Numbers

Please bring back the comment numbers to Word. I am a professor with a cerebral palsy, and I dictate all my comments for my students. I used to be able to say "comment 1, comment 2, etc." for my transcriber to easily follow my dictations. Now, I have to physically add each comment number to ensure that the correct comment goes in the correct box. By removing the comment numbers, it is now much more laborious of a task to comment on my student's papers. Please bring this feature back!

92 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dr. Alette Coble-Temple shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this 'Under Review' a hoax?? You have been reviewing this for YEARS. Please do something and fix this mess you created when you removed comment numbering!!

Microsoft shows this as 'Under Review' for a couple of YEARS..thousands of people have been complaining for years about his and Microsoft does not care...they blow off the problem they created with a statement saying UNDER REVIEW..what B.S. To appease a bunch of angry users. MS has no intention of fixing this as if they did, it would have been fixed years ago. Stop BS'ing everyone Microsoft!

• Moises Martinez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having numbers in the comment bubbles is a major issue! I routinely work on documents of 50-100 pages and they may contain over 100 comments. It is very hard to tell reviewers to look at the comment on page 58, 5th paragraph, 2nd sentence. In 2010 all I had to do was say to look at Comment 43.

Please add the comment numbering feature back! I understand that comment text can be added via the format feature, and that comment numbers can be seen in the "print preview" screen. However, the old numbering style numbered comments by user, and if memory serves correctly, numbering reflected new comments added at a later date with a new number rather than threading in a mid-document new comment and changing all numbers for any comment that follows in the rest of the document. Once numbered, a number should stay with that comment. This allows reference back to a particular comment (AC7, for example). With the current features, if an additional comment is added ahead of comment AC7, AC7 becomes AC8, thus making any reference to this comment useless.

Bring the comment number feature - why do you make it harder and harder to use the software?

This has been 'Under review' for YEARS..since 2016..will this be FIXED?? Please do something here Microsoft..we are crippled without this feature!

• JN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I may say so, the total removal of this feature is exceedingly stupid and, given that some people would desert Word over it, were it not for lack of good competition, cynical.

Please advise how long it will take to "look into it." Lack of comment numbering greatly reduces productivity. Workarounds work, but are unacceptable as a replacement and do nothing to increase productivity.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, loss of numbering is a major issue. My current edit has 330 comments, how the heck can i find them now???

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As stated by others who have commented here, the comment numbering feature is an important tool for making and referencing comments in a document. Removal of this feature from Word makes no sense to me. PLEASE BRING IT BACK ASAP!!

This 'looking into it' has been going on for many many many months..when will this be addressed..PLEASE!!!

It's extraordinarily difficult to review the comments and understand how they fit in, or to read the text and find the appropriate comment (other than hovering over the identifier and reading the superimposed text box). It's a general mystery to users why this was ever dropped, although presumably something to do with multiple simultaneous editors. Please bring it back!

• remo williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop wasting time here. This site is NOT affiliated with Microsoft in any way, shape or form. Phrases like "Allison S Admin, Office.com" under review, and "we are looking into adding XYZ" into MS Word, attempting to make visitors here believe this site is affiliated with Microsoft. Think twice about providing any personal information here. P.S, I created a quick Throw-away Gmail account to make this comment.

Looking into it?
    Why on earth was it ever dropped? Who could possibly have thought that was a good idea?
    Its not in the Windows version either.

All of a sudden the grammar and punctuation selection from the drop down menu under Tools disappeared. I use this tool often in my writing. Is it no longer available?

• Zahra Fraga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My MAC system is going to 64 Bits. The Microsoft Office I have in this MAC is 32 bits. How can I update my Microsoft Office to operate with 64 bits?

Thank you,
    Zahra Fraga

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base