Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Comment Numbers

Please bring back the comment numbers to Word. I am a professor with a cerebral palsy, and I dictate all my comments for my students. I used to be able to say "comment 1, comment 2, etc." for my transcriber to easily follow my dictations. Now, I have to physically add each comment number to ensure that the correct comment goes in the correct box. By removing the comment numbers, it is now much more laborious of a task to comment on my student's papers. Please bring this feature back!

49 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dr. Alette Coble-Temple shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup..I have over 35 dissertation students, each with documents ranging from 250-1200 pages..the inability to have comments autonumbered for the committee and students to use is an enormous problem. I had to revert to version 2011 for Mac that is not supported and frankly problematic with using Apple High Sierra..it's a disaster all because Microsoft eliminated the auto numbering feature!!

I am currently editing a document that has 4 reviewers and 140+ comments, and I need a way to organize them. I am shocked that the ability to number comments has been taken out of Word 2016, and is making me regret my upgrade from 2010 to 2016, as every other feature I use is exactly the same except for this one, which is causing me a lot of problems.

Please bring back comment numbering. It is impossible to work on manuscripts without this feature. Often an editor will refer to see comment #, and we can no longer function as a writing team. Whoever thought that collaborative writing would work without this feature, clearly does not understand collaborative writing. Microsoft fail.

• Virginia Tilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Dr. Alette - Is your problem in the oral command interface? Sorry, I don't know about that, and I don't know about MAC. But in PCs, there's already a way to bring numbers into Comments: I found it on line. It's labor intensive, but for long documents it's worth it. Basically, you just modify the Comment Text style, through the Styles interface.

In case you can't find it, here's a summary:

With the cursor in the Comment, click on Styles to get the Style list. ITo see it, you may have to click on "options" at the bottom in order to get a box that lets you enter "all styles" in the top dropdown box "Select Styles to Show". Go back to the Style list and scroll down until you find Comment Text. The "Comments Text" style should have a block around it.)

Click on the little symbol to the right of the words "Comment Text" to get its drop-down menu. Click "Modify..." and in the box that opens click on "format" tucked down in the very bottom left-hand corner. On the list that opens, click "Numbering."

In the Numbering box, click on the style of numbering you like. (You can also click on "define new number format" underneath the options to fine-tune this -- I added a space after the number as otherwise it crowds into my Comments text and reduced the font size to match the Comment text font size.) Click OK and then OK again. When you close the Modify box, you'll see the numbers in your bubbles.

The problem I have is that, if I open a document already created by someone else -- which is obviously what one is doing when one is grading papers -- then the numbers don't appear and I have to go through all this again. There's supposed to be a way to do convert existing Word files to the template you want through the Options button under the File tab, but I can't figure it out. Word People, please advise - with a SIMPLE QUICK way to do this. Faculty grading papers don't have time for elaborate steps while grading hundreds of papers.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this comment numbering feature back in..this MS Word for Mac 365/2016 is no longer working for me or any of my doctoral students in terms of dissertation editing/publication collaboration. Comment number is the only effective way to collaborate with others and have common reference points! HELP!!!!!!!!!

• Vladimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, this is is something that is missing from Word on Mac OS. This is particularly painful when colleagues who are using Word on Windows write comments like "Referring to comment #12" -- there is no way convenient way to figure out.
        Thank you!

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please bring this back. Much more effective than trying to use "third comment on pg 58"...

Yes, please bring this feature back. Comment numbering is an important function for a copyeditor and for writers.

Without this feature this product is useless..for a company always trying to offer tools to collaborate not having comment numbering causes users to NOT be able to collaborate on document edits!! Bring back comment numbering PLEASE!!

• Annalisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally agree,
        It was a very useful feature, and I really do not understand why it has been removed.
        I change the comment style in order to have numbers, but it is not the same, as you cannot have two paragraphs in the same comment.
        Also, it would be extremely useful to have the possibility to extract all comments (numbered) into a separate document.

• Ralph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. As a lawyer negotiating contracts with houndreds of pages everyday, I am highly dependent on being able to reference to comments.

Plus, if you work with colleagues who use older versions of word, they will only refernence to comment numbers while you can start counting manually...

I agree! We use comments to show support for text and the removal of comment numbers greatly inhibits our ability to quickly locate text.

Feedback and Knowledge Base