Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

real-time co-authoring

real-time co-authoring is not available for word on mac, I'm trying to collaborate on a word document a college and it's very messy atm I have to manually refresh the document to get and send changes.

95 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The real tragedy here is the disconnect between marketing and PM - because I've had many updates for Office 2016 for Mac claiming "real-time" co-authoring - yet when I try to use the feature with a colleague it is worthless. Sure, I can see when someone is in the document, but if they have to push their changes first and I have to refresh my browser - what is that? It is not real-time collaboration.

So your marketing team is saying "yeah - co-authoring for Mac Office users available in this update - and the user (me) - gets a totally different experience.

• Jeff Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been under review since June 2017, is there any word on when this will be developed or not?

• Jeff Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature for Word on Macs and other Office programs without the need to hit refresh to see changes.

• Verners commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add real-time co-authoring for Office 2016 Mac. It is ridiculous to always look for changes manually.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems ridiculous that features in Word for Windows and Word for Mac are still not kept in sync with one another. I agree with Michael Verruto - go for platform irrelevancy!

PLEASE add real-time co-authoring for Mac!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this feature – we're looking at alternatives to google docs and this feature would have made microsoft word a no-brainer

• Michael Verruto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE REALLY NEED THIS!!!!!!! Most has been delivering more and more solidly oil the mac, and a LOT of senior level execs are moving to mac based laptops etc....you will OWN this space if you can get the co-authroing nailed down for us PLEASE. We are a mixed environment and this is sooooooo critical for us...the "online" apps just do NOT cut it!

GO FOR PLATFORM IRRELEVANCY

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this happen now! Your are hindering my office's work by not have this as universal feature!

i dont have Facebook so i can't LIKE this, but both thumbs up — so glad to see the the team responded just two days ago that this feature is now under review!!!!

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having files sharable and editable through OneDrive, but with neither the syncing of the Mac OneDrive app nor Mac Word having much idea about coauthoring, it ends up being a frightful mess. Scrambled text, lost changes, major confusion. The situation needs to be cleaned up – either by file locking, or by warning when you might overwrite changes or have your changes overwritten, or best of all: by implementing co-authoring properly on *all* clients. What use is OneDrive for collaboration if much of Microsoft's own software ends up corrupting files whenever authors collaborate?

We would adopt Office for Business if this feature was supported for our Mac users.

We NEED this! Is the BEST WEAPON agains google sheets users. I hate google sheets. I've been able to make my partners work on word instead of sheets when collaborating, but mac users keep refusing JUST BECAUSE OF THIS!
        its a win-win!

• Benni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why we pay so much for Office when it can't even do the things it does on a Windows. Is it time to move to another platform?

this is one of the best features the windows platform, we need this feature on the Mac ASAP

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base