Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

When importing PDF into Word 2016 for Mac, allow choice of page as in Word 2011

When you place a multipage PDF in Word 2011, Word tells you "The file contains multiple pages. Select the page to insert." Word 2016 does not and only imports the first page.

58 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Korchok shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Claudiu Vicol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a temporary workaround, I have seen a procedure which involves using professional PDF editors. One must select Save As>JPEG, and at that moment, all of your PDF pages will be converted separately into JPEG files, which, in turn, can be inserted in batch into the Word file. It works.

• Jill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Laura! Your suggestion SAVED THE DAY for the newsletter I am trying to get out. I can't thank you enough!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has the insert PDF feature gone backwards. In previous versions you used to get a preview dialog that allowed you to select individual pages from the PDF that you wanted to insert; however this feature was dropped in later versions and now you can only get the first page. This means you now have to split the PDF into individual pages and insert them separately - very clunky. Can't understand why the previous feature which was so user friendly got dropped

Another work around: Take a snapshot of the selected page of the .pdf and paste it into the document. More laborious, but it works. Still, this does not absolve Microsoft of its responsibility to add the previous functionality to 2016. I'll look for it in the next upgrade.

It takes two years to fix this?! A year to review it?! This is also needs fixed in PowerPoint and Excel.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just opened the pdf up in preview, then dragged each page across one by one. Worked very well. But would be a pain if it was lots of pages.

Oh my god did this get fixed?
        I can't work out how to do this and I am so frustrated.

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok I figured it out. If you download the app PDF Reader Pro Free you can do it. Have the PDF open in the app and then the word document open. You drag over one page at a time. Granted this is only really do able for short pdfs but its a start while Word is working on an update to help us

• helen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this missing feature is making life a nightmare for us who do company policies.
        please fix

Yup, this is broken. I use if for all of my documents. I've just upgraded from Word 2011 and see this as a big step backwards.

• Vicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I am trying to do a mail merge and send a Newsletter (multipage PDF) by email. Everything works but I cannot insert an object (PDF) into the word Doc. Disappointing. 'Insert' 'Object' does not exist and drag and drop opens the PDF's first page. Can we drag and drop an object in Office for MAC 365?

Please fix this issue as it makes it difficult for us who actually work in Word and pdf files.

Luckily, I have googled this thread before spending hours on finding the reason. I used to be able to select a PDF page to insert using word 2013. That's so stupid to not have this function anymore...

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe this facility does not exist, I am sure it was previously available :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base