Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Restore (to Word for Mac 2016) ability to hide "reviewer, time stamp" in comment balloons

In Word for Mac 2011, I could set my Preferences > Reviewing to hide the reviewer, time stamp, and action buttons in comment balloons. I liked this because I am a writing teacher and I make a lot of comments. With my name and the time stamp on ever one, it takes up too much space, often spilling past the margins and into a sidebar or a bottom-bar.

In Word for Mac 2016, this function is removed, and I really need it back. Please. It's a simple little checkbox. I and my students are severely inconvenienced by this. Thank you.

95 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Patrick Madden shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should have the ability to turn on or off any part of the "Track Changes". Some people can't have their names for privacy reasons. Some find that allowing others to know what date the changes where made or what time (usually because it's embarrassingly late) is something they need to avoid. I often have to change the date/time on my computer when I'm working on a document just to get around this problem. (and if I forget, it's a lot of cutting and pasting so something like a 3:00am time stamp doesn't show up. Haha). It seems like a super easy feature to implement even if it isn't often used.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a professional editor and don't want the timestamp on my comments. This is really, really bad and frustrating. Please give us a way to remove the timestamp! Thanks

I'm an academic and I need to make anonymous reviewer's comments on a peer reviewed article. Please reinstall "The ability to turn off the author name and time stamp for comments on Office 2016 MAC."

I teach writing, too; same problem for me! Here's my work around: I went to Word>preferences>user information and in "Name" I entered a hyphen. When you insert a comment, it still adds a line for your name, but the name just says "-"

• Jackson007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But I do still want to have my name on the comment or tracked change - just not the time associated with it.

• Jackson007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want my clients or the counter-party to an agreement to know how long I spent editing or looking at the document/agreement. There should be an option to remove the time stamp associated with a comment or tracked change.

I am editor of double blind peer review journal and I absolutely need to remove personal information from reviewers comments so that I can send back anonymously to the author. Bring it back and let us know how to install.

You need to return the ability to turn off the author name and time stamp for comments. It has been removed from Office 2016 MAC. Why? There is no good reason to remove this option.

My problem is exactly the opposite. I want time stamp back as a standard feature. I write comments but no date or time stamps appear.

• Shprudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm absolutely with the first commenter: "With my name and the time stamp on ever one, it takes up too much space, often spilling past the margins and into a sidebar or a bottom-bar." It drives me crazy!! Thanks for considering this restoration.

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please bring back this feature! I often do checking of manuscripts for people, and by going through my changes at the end I could just add the minutes I spent working on a document and knew how much time to charge them for! I am seriously inconvenienced by the lack of this feature.
        Thanks!

• Ronald Ouwerkerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I frequently need to make the entire document anonymous to submit as an anonymous peer review.
        The recipe to achieve this is: In the tab 'tools', select 'Protect Document', mark the checkbox 'privacy' archives most of what you need to make the document anonymous, but unfortunately leaves the file path, which in my case is /Users/myusername/documents....etc. You can see this in document properties. So it can still be traced to me unless I save it on a USB drive before submitting (i.e. one that is not named MyNamesUSBdrive). Wouldn't it be great if the privacy checkmark really worked?

Hear! Hear! This was a foolish thing to remove. Important for any editor to be able to control what kind of information is shared with a viewer.

I'm a freelance editor who sometimes charges by time spent, and who sometimes works in short stints--1/2 hour at a time, then 2 hours, then 10 mins etc. The time stamp feature was essential to me in calculating how much time I spent on a doc so as to charge clients fairly. Oddly, if I open docs created in 2016, in 2011, I can then see the time stamps, meaning they're actually there in the computer's brain, but not being shared with me.

• Love Peoples commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely essential for grading papers. I don't want my students to know I was grading a 4am

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base