Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Arrange windows vertically, and synchronous scrolling

Please, incorporate these two features, which existed in Word for Windows. They are invaluable to compare similar documents side by side.

83 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ana Mozo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY is it taking so long to process this request if you have it in the windows version why not in the Mac Version??

• Stacy Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very nice to be able to use synchronous scrolling in Draft view with the style area pane displayed as well. We use to be able to do this and with the move to Word 2016, this functionality has been removed. Vital for checking styles applied between documents!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely crucial to have a vertical split screen for editing documents, especially given all the monitors are wider than they are tall!

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolutely vital feature. I have to go and use word on my clunky parallels when I am proofing or checking original against translated version...

• alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the same as another request - maybe should be combinded to show how many people need this feature?

• alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. These are a deal breaker for me. I have been experimenting with a new MacBook but I'm rapidly finding that I'm ghoing tio have to go back to my old PC laptop

• CB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate having to drag my files to an old, small dell laptop to try to compare long documents if only this feature was activated in 365 for mac, I could use my 27" iMac to breeze through this work. Sad.

• Eric Rosenbloom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Essential for my editing work, too. Interestingly, the macro command "NewWindow" still works in v15 (2016). But irritatingly, the ribbon is duplicated as well. In v14 (2011), I completely eliminated the ribbon and use undocked custom toolbars only.

• Mark Lech Jaworski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also a translator and have to use two computers, iMas 21.5 and 17 inch MacBook Pro to see two documents clearly.
        Please incorporate synchronous scrolling

• Ed Tuggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Minarik! Let me tell you what I do: I put my text in a two-column table. This works very well. Each original paragraph is in a cell in the left-hand column, and each corresponding translated paragraph is in the cell in the right-hand column of the same row. I put the paper in landscape mode, set the table to 10 inches wide and each column to 5 inches wide. You can use whatever column width works best for you. This way you won't have to wait until Word provides synchronous scrolling in side-by-side view.

• Minárik Vanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! As a translator, I would really need side-by-side view with possibility of synchronous scrolling. Pls, incorporate it!

Can't imagine why you removed this feature; it's essentially useful for real-time scrolling and review.

In office for Windows I was able to compare the same document and scroll independently and simultaneously to preform complicated edits . That feature was missing inMac Word 2011 and now also 2016. This was an exceptionally useful feature.
        The compare feature in Word 2016 is not the same.

Feedback and Knowledge Base