Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Embedded html link from .doc to .pdf

I'm using Word 2016 on Mac, but when I save a .pdf file from a .doc document it lost hyperlink.
In details, if I want to create an hyperlink starting to a simple word (ex: industry name) who take me to industry's website, saving .doc as .pdf will lost the hyperlink, but formatted word remain ad an hypertext.

112 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminWord Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Word now provides the option to generate a tagged PDF (which preserves hyperlinks) in version 15.23.1 and above. This functionality is available for many languages, and we’re working on adding support for the remaining languages.”

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Macness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still nothing happened and now we are at Word for mac 16.16.2 (on a macOS Mojave 10.14). All workarounds are not working if you have a complex document with a certain font (in my case Helvetica Neue), graphics and formatting. Is a solution planned or does microsoft simply not care? For me this is of utmost importance.

• Rick Lecoat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Word version 16.12 (Mac) here and the issue STILL persists. You can choose to have your fonts properly retained within the PDF (and let’s remember, retaining design fidelity was a major reason for the invention of PDF in the first place) OR you can choose to retain working hyperlinks. The fact that having both options in play simultaneously is, apparently, not supported is just ridiculous. In this day and age it's just amateur hour, and Microsoft should be embarrassed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Word for Mac ver.16.9.1 and currently have these two options for exporting to PDF:

1. use "Best for printing" option and lose the hyperlinks, or
        2. use "Best for electronic" option and lose images quality and changes tracking marks!

I hope a solution will be offered soon to overcome this serious limitation.

• Mika Lodsman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Word Product Team. I am using Word for Mac version 15.41. Respectfully, the information you provided above is bullshit.

I currently have two options:

1. Loose all hyperlinks including mailto: and URLs.
        2. Save PDF as "best for online distribution" and lose my font settings.

I am going with option 3: open PDF in Adobe Acrobat and recreate the links. This is a right pain and an unworkable solution for documents over 3 pages long. It's a process I have to do over every time I update something in the original Word file.

Option 3 is only available to Word for Mac users who have access to Adobe Acrobat, which is SaaS incurring a monthly fee. So basically, we're paying to waste our time.

I have now installed version 15.35, However, I have a proposal that is roughly 120MB. We need to make a PDF that retains the hyperlinks and remains below 5M. However, when I try to write the PDF it tells me that it cannot handle a file over 40 MB. Will this functionality be available in upcoming versions? If so, how soon?

• Nachum Kanovsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some companies do not allow sending documents to Microsoft's server, sometimes I do not have internet access (flights), some documents are too long and get rejected by the server. PLEASE make this available natively without server support.

This has been an issue since 2011, and this seems to be a MICROSOFT issue generating pdfs from WITHIN the Word environment. Seems that some users comments below have indicated that even upgrading to the requisite "Word version 15.23.1" is suppose to fix this, but the tone is generally not endorsing. This is nuts. When creating a pdf from within Word, it is CRITICAL that links (recognized by http, https, www, and to cites like drive.google) should be retained.

• The Ranger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Online service does not work correctly when using custom fonts. All non-standard fonts are replaced with defaults so this service is more or less unusable.

• Peter Goedtkindt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitively not resolved - on version 15.32 (170208)
        If multiple hyperlinks are placed one after the other, only the last one seemed to function in the pdf.
        Even clicking the checkbox to produce a document best for electronic distribution (uses a Microsoft online service), it does not produce a good pdf with clickable links. A quote of Donald Trump "Total Losers" is appropriate as this problem exists since 2011!

My preferred workaround: Libre Office: allows much finer control of pdf creation, including digital signing of the document - all for free, and without having to send your data to Microsoft's prying eyes.

• John Spady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem STILL exists in (English) version 15.29 of my recently downloaded version of Word 2016 for the Macintosh. Refer to ticket # 1370355767 -- only fully written hyperlinks (that start with http://) are clickable after PDF conversion. Text that has been highlighted and given a URL using CMD-K (on a Mac) does not have its tagged link "clickable" after conversion to PDF. It appears underlined to the viewer as if it were an active link but the cursor does not turn into a hand and the link is not clickable.

• Kayo Graco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the online conversion option the style of my document is also converted to a mess! this is so annoying!!

If my formatting is correct, my links don't work. If my links work, my formatting is incorrect. HELLO? IS ANYONE FIXING THIS?

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You say you did this already, but I'm running 15.25 and it does not work for me either. Is the functionality not available in English yet?

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All hyperlinks disappear when saving as pdf. Ditto for Powerpoint 2016 for Mac! Apparently this has been a problem for five years. Hello??

Hello

Many Thanks for the new PDF functions.

BUT the TOC and is not working to jump in the file to the right headings.

BUT URI’s which came in Word 16 for Mac didn’t work either, like "accord://[action]/[item];[field]?[Query]"

Please active both!!!

Greetings

O.K. Hyperlinks now works and links like mail-to.

But not URI Links which works now in Word 16 for Mac, to open another App
        No active Table of Content from Word,
        No Crossrefs
        No internal links
        No Footnotes
        No Endnotes
        Etc. Etc.

Please add this all.

• Kiril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new option is a rather cheap and ineffective solution (not to mention that it requires using some online service, making it unusable when not connected to the Internet). While hyperlinks are preserved, cross-references and the links in the TOC are still lost. Really, this defeats the whole purpose of using Word and wasting one's time to set up all of the afore-mentioned.

Not to mention that, if there are any custom fonts in that document, they are LOST when the new export to PDF option is used, which may result as in my case in significant changes in the layout of the document.

• Andrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks to the team for making an attempt to tackle this long standing issue with Word on the Mac platform. I hope to see further effort on this issue in the future.

The request here is really specific (html link from .doc to .pdf). There is another request which covers the broader application of tagged PDFs, which I suggest others vote for as well if this is a big issue for you:

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304942-word-for-mac/suggestions/11650266-embedded-active-links-from-docx-to-pdf

I'm still having trouble accessing the newly added "Best for online distribution and accessibility" option (15.25). This may be because I am using a volume license of Office (from my university).

The workaround I am using is to upload my documents to OneDrive and export a PDF from Word Online. This seems to work well for me (I have vector formatted figures, equations, and TOC/headings in my documents, although I only use the most basic of fonts). Can anyone confirm whether the output from the newly added export function is the same as from Word Online?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base