Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Mac? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Microsoft Office 2016 does not support Equation editor 3.0.

I am Maths teacher. After installing Microsoft office 2016, since it does not support Equation editor 3.0, all equations cannot be viewed and edited. That means Maths teachers from all around the world cannot edit their notes any more. So I sincerely ask for your help to buy the license from Mathtype again. Thanks.

88 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. As noted in the Changes to Office 2016 article (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt715497(v=office.16).aspx) Equation Editor 3.0 is no longer supported by Office. These objects can still be edited if you have the MathType plugin installed. We are aware of the issues with Equation Editor 3.0 and are considering potential mitigations, though as this equation editing is no longer supported we encourage you to use Microsoft’s built-in equation editing tools instead where possible.

150 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bolso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes that's a complete shamble, years of notes thrown in the loo, followed by MS word 2016, back to latex

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"we encourage you to use Microsoft’s built-in equation editing tools instead where possible."

I would be more willing to do this if Microsoft's built-in equation software wasn't sinfully ugly, and **** near entirely impossible to use.

• Yossi Barkan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not solving the problem? it is essential tool. Just bring it back and correct the mistake you (MS) made

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super frustrating....as a math teacher, I'm furious that I now have to redo equations with your equation editor 3.0. FIX THIS ISSUE!!!

• Loreli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft's Equation Tool is seriously lacking and only uses a font that NO publisher on Earth uses. This is not acceptable in any way, shape, or form. I literally have thousands of documents with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of equations that are now unusable. Maybe the scientific and engineering community is a niche group, but, I would think that we are an important part of your business.

• Acerbic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello. Can this be seriously the best approach to solve a 'security' issue? Would you apply the same stup*d standards for Office apps and built-in apps everytime you discover vulnerabilities? You guys are becoming the Ford motors in the industry. This is a botched update, fix it.

• Nothing seems to work commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there Microsoft. I have tried all of the suggested work-arounds (Install Math Type Plug-in, Install MT Extra font) but still I cant view Equation Editor 3.0 objects. Hopefully a solutions is around the corner. Cheers

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As another teacher I want to said that Microsoft Equation 3.0 was much better, but therewith the main reason to recover this editor is a very hard work in the thousands of documents accumulated for many years. The only answer of Microsft is we have to create again all these documents, it's another sign of its arrogance. Someone must declare Microsoft as an enemy of the Teaching and the University, and to report damages in a court.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Angry and frustrated, as another teacher I want to said that Microsoft Equation 3.0 was much better, but therewith the main reason to recover this editor is a very hard work in the thousands of documents accumulated for many years. The only answer of Microsft is we have to create again all these documents, it's another sign of its arrogance. Someone must declare Microsoft as an enemy of the Teaching and the University, and to report damages in a court.

• Angry lecturer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a lecturer and a researcher. I have 20 years worth of lecture notes and scientific papers. As a matter of fact, I have just received two revisions to my latest submitted papers. I was given 2 weeks to submit the corrections - and guess whet? I cannot edit the original paper as the MS Equations are no longer supported. moreover, half of the equations cannot be viewed properly. Which means that in the two weeks instead of revising my papers to make them better I will have to retype every single one. Apart from the fact I cannot as the font does not match the journal template, neither the random equation formatting rules that one cannot change! I am really screwed and am urgently switching to Latex.

This is a major *****-up where people are left completely helpless, hopeless and angry. Miscrosoft are already well known for doing this sort of thing, but for me this is a step too far where I lose the ability to use properly the entire output of my career as a result of one sneaky unnecessary update. Will consider switching to Linux altogether.

• Frustrated Buyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also a teacher, and after upgrading to mac os High Sierra my powerpoint began exhibiting many problems, and I bought the office 2016 for mac... Now I can't open my MS equations... this is incredibly unrespectiful... unbelievable that MS powerpoint simply can't at least convert automatically from one format to the newer! Frustrating! I hope an update for Office 2016 would provide a solution for this as soon as possible!

• Margo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I use the the "Microsoft's built-in equation edition tools?" I don't want to just use one of your standard equations. I am a retired math teacher. How are teachers managing?

• Kate Dodge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am disappointed that Microsoft Equation 3.0 is not supported by Office 2016. Along with many others on this thread, I am also a math teacher and I have hundreds of documents using Microsoft Equation 3.0. The Office Equations is TERRIBLE! There are NO SHORTCUTS and so you have to click and use arrow keys to add in a simple exponent. In Microsoft Equation 3.0 all I needed to do was hit "control h" and it created an exponent. It takes two to three times as long to write an equation and it does not look half as nice as Microsoft Equation 3.0! Please, bring it back!

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is some visionary advice. It appears my workplace knew about this problem already two years ago. They pushed toward using google docs and Co. I thought very bad choice not even half as good as the Microsoft product. But at least I know it is bad. I am still reluctant to swap to any of the google things, but if this problem persists, it is probably good bye Microsoft, Hello Google - not sure if that is a good move, but perhaps that is what Microsoft wants. Let's go Google. NO, bring back equation editor 3.0. Just bring it back how hard can that be. As many posted I have so many documents that I cannot even look at the equations any more - this is out of this world. So irresponsible.

• Sebastien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those interested, a version 6.9 of MathType is still available on the web (use google). This version is giving 30day of trial and then transform in a LITE Mode forever and you can still edit equations.

• Sebastien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft leave thousands of people with their back against the wall, no choice other than to buy MathType software if they want to be able to edit their existing equations.
        I smell non legit partership between these two company :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UNBELIEVABLE !!!: I just bought a new Notebook, paying for Office 2016 and I cannot edit anymore HUNDREDS of documents I have made during the last 15 years with Microsoft Equation 3.0. I’m a maths teacher and I spend 90% of my time on Word editing Equations… How can you suppress a functionality that WE PAYED FOR ? Please put it back quickly !

• fuck you Microsoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you all are an asshole motherfucker.

all you do is a cheating tricking us to pay for a bullshit program that is not even working reliably.

office 16 is bullshit without math. all windows is abour OUR MONEY without having a reliable good software. MSWIN is not safe, slying, full of ads, full of viruses, obviously to pay for eliminate...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base