Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Restore toolbar & ribbon customization

Restore the 2011 functionality to create custom toolbars, buttons, button icons, etc.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. macOS Sierra tab support for multiple documents

Add the ability for multiple documents to be grouped in tabs in a single window, similarly to other apps in macOS Sierra (Safari, Mail, Finder, iWork Suite, Maps, TextEdit etc).

Applies to Excel and PowerPoint too.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. horizontal viewing pane

Please bring back horizontal viewing pane. As a copyeditor, I realize we are among the least important people in your market, but we actually use most of the features Word has to offer. Or at least used to. When you have thousands of changes in a document, bubbles and vertical panes are the least effective way to view changes.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option To Turn Off Cloud Fonts in Word for Mac

Please provide an option to turn off cloud fonts in the Mac version of Word as you do in the Windows version. I've had to return to version 16.16 to get away from such a large font menu.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please allow us to set all new documents to open in draft mode

It's really difficult to have to click to this mode every single time I open any document.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix normal.dotm from breaking when customising keyboard shortcuts

As soon as I customise any keyboard shortcuts e.g. for zooming or inserting lines into a table, it’s not long before Word comes up with the error message that it cannot load the normal.dotm template on startup, and fails to save the template on closing the app. I have to trash the file from the template folder every time to stop this from happening. And then all my shortcuts are gone.

This behaviour happens on all versions of Office 365 for Mac both on Sierra and High Sierra; it's completely reproducible.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF WORD, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits,…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring back comment box shading

The comments are now almost impossible to differentiate from revisions. Please bring back the shading for comment boxes so you can find comments faster. As a professional editor, I find all the track changes modifications in Word 2013 and beyond make my job much, much harder. I don't need photographs of people next to comments; I need comment numbers and different formatting to easily distinguish comments from other revisions.

I also need to have comments in deleted text showing in the markup area instead of having to hunt them down through a weird "chase the pop-up box" process. If you're…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix saving bug with El Capitan

Bug on Mac and other MS Office applications when running on El Capitan OS prevent saving.
    Pop up message:

Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected.
    Try one or more of the following:
    * Free more memory.
    * Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged.
    (Document1.docx)

This has happened to many users (see e.g. this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macword/error-message-on-mac-when-saving-word-2016/d660ed3f-02b3-4708-a7bf-ea5441c606dc)

Even using an older version of Word is an issue. NB: there is certainly enough space, seems that the issue is MS Office attempts…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "Welcome back" not welcome

I really think the “Welcome back” thing is a terrible idea – first because it’s a pointless irritation for almost everybody, but second because it comes across as Microsnoop surveilling our activites (down to the level of how much we read our own stuff!), an impression I would think Microsoft, if it has three brain cells, would go out its way to avoid, not to reinforce.

There should be a way of getting rid of it, forever.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I want to go back to an older version of Word for Mac! Word for Mac version 16.10 no longer allows me to open documents in Draft View.

You used to have a "Allow opening a document in Draft view check box." Go back to that. Or better, make Draft view the default once again.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac & EndNote X8

Microsoft Word was working with EndNote X8, but after the updating, it is NOT working with it. EndNote is essential to write the references.
    All in all, please fix this problem to make it compatible with EndNote X8.
    Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please fix autosave on Word for Mac

I am really frustrated by Word for Mac's autosave function. I used to have a PC and autosave worked perfectly: I configured Word to save my work every 3 minutes, and even though I had crashes, I would never lose more than 3 minutes of work. Now I have a Mac, and even though I set autosave to the minimum interval, it just doesn't work, in spite of my researching this subject and trying to figure out several different method for fixing the problem. I have also trained myself to manually save my documents frequently. However, this is not a…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reopen Windows on Restart

When restarting mac, we get the option to "reopen windows when logging back in." Historically this has allowed all open MS Word and other Office programs to reopen all of the files that were previously open on the desktop. In the 2016 version, this functionality has stopped working. When my mac is running slow, but I'm working on 4-5 different Word documents and I want to restart the computer to make it faster, it's a big challenge to remember the names of the documents that were previously open. Many of us have Word documents that we are referencing but are…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Customizable menus, not just ribbon.

As a writer and editor, I need fast access to menu items I use all day every day, and to make life easy, hide the rest. That way the ones I need are visible and easy to click, without scrolling down a long list of items I DO NOT WANT OR NEED. This is still a techie's dream, not a product with which users can earn a living.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Select Browse Object

The Select Browse Object feature was removed from Word 2016. This is a helpful feature for quickly navigating through a Word file. See here for a description.

http://wordribbon.tips.net/T010079UsingtheObjectBrowser.html

Please restore this feature.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add-in in office 2016 for mac

we need add-ins to work in office 2016 mac !

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base