Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Word for Mac 2016 needs to allow custom toolbars from template files

Our workflow uses macros, accessible by buttons on toolbars in Word 2003 and Word 2011 for Mac. These show up in an 'Add-ins' tab on Word 2007+ on PC, which is fine.
    In Word 2016, these are not visible at all! Toolbars don't show up, and neither does the Add-ins tab. At least one of these should be reinstated in 2016.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add full support do Content Control and XML in Mac, including VBA Functions.

Make Content Control functionalities, including XML links and VBA functions, available on Word for Mac also.
    Nowadays it is possible only to edit the values inside Content Control, but it's not possible to create nor edit the CC itself, and to get worst it do not have any VBA functions for it, so it's not possible to do value edition programatically.

It'll improve a lot the productivity!

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Smooth Typing Cursor on Mac

This is simply ridiculous. The Excel 2016 team has already successfully implemented the cell selection animations, why is the Office 2016 team falling behind them?

When typing on Windows, the text cursor GLIDES from word to word by default through smoothening animations. On mac this is not enabled by default and in fact is not even an option. Hopefully this is only a temporary setback and will soon be included in an update.

Unsure if you are willing to look at other website links but here is an image: http://www.laptopmag.com/images/wp/purch-api/incontent/2013/08/qbfox2.gif

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make footers, headers and numbering easier to configure

You removed so much of the header and footer options that it makes more accessible for individuals whom are used to having options.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Redesign the entire software :D

The app needs a revamp

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE UPDATE FOR APA 7 CITATIONS - PLEASE

Please update the MS Office citation feature to include the new format for APA 7

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Korean character input system is unusable and must be fixed

When typing Korean, Word and PowerPoint take "every single typing" as an event unit, and when clicking undo, the Korean characters will disappear by every single character. (Not the way as English character.)
    Because MSword refreshes or records its status on every event, MSword and MSpowerpoint become sluggish and unusable when I type Korean characters. Window version does not have the problem and other Mac applications either.

I hope the problem should be fixed soon.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Restore toolbar & ribbon customization

Restore the 2011 functionality to create custom toolbars, buttons, button icons, etc.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. macOS Sierra tab support for multiple documents

Add the ability for multiple documents to be grouped in tabs in a single window, similarly to other apps in macOS Sierra (Safari, Mail, Finder, iWork Suite, Maps, TextEdit etc).

Applies to Excel and PowerPoint too.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Impossibly small text size in the spell checking box unable to be changed to make readable.

Font size in spell checking box is impossibly small, and whereas with WS Word for Windows where you can increase size by doing a general zoom in on document, this method doesn't work on Word for Mac

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please fix intermittent jagged and horrible display of fonts in Word 2016!

In Word 2016 for Mac, many older files (that is, files not actually created in Word 2016) open with a very horrible and jagged looking display of fonts. Files created "fresh" with Word 2016 do not seem to have this problem. The really interesting thing about this, seems to be that this is exactly the same bug that was in Excel 2016 until November (until the 15.16 update); that is, as a user has pointed out on this Microsoft Answers thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macword/subpixel-antialiasing-doesnt-work-on-certain-docx/6c6b4cf6-f86f-4704-9e04-493e91e0cecc ), in affected files, if you highlight the jagged text with a colour from the ribbon, the…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Word 2011 for Mac not opening embedded files.

Getting error as : Word can not edit the microsoft excel sheet. Need Help
    For embedded pdf. : Word cannot locate the server application for object objects.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please fix autosave on Word for Mac

I am really frustrated by Word for Mac's autosave function. I used to have a PC and autosave worked perfectly: I configured Word to save my work every 3 minutes, and even though I had crashes, I would never lose more than 3 minutes of work. Now I have a Mac, and even though I set autosave to the minimum interval, it just doesn't work, in spite of my researching this subject and trying to figure out several different method for fixing the problem. I have also trained myself to manually save my documents frequently. However, this is not a…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Open Word 2016 for Mac Dos in Same View and screen position as last opened

Please, is it possible to restore the function in Woor 2016 for Mac that enabled documents to be opened with the same view and screen position as last opened. I have several documents open at once, and there is a process of continuing edting. THerefore the absence of this feature in the new version is VERY disappointing , to say the least.
    Kind regards
    Jim

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF WORD, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits,…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Dark background, light text and cursor option

Previous versions of Word had a "Blue background, white text" option that enabled people to read and write with a dark background and light text with a corresponding change in cursor/pointer color.

In Word 2016 for Mac, not only is this option no longer available, but there is no way to default to a dark background color. The user must change the background color every single time a new document is created or a document is opened. Furthermore, the cursor/pointer remains dark, which means it essentially becomes useless because it can't be seen.

Using my operating system to invert colors…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Spelling and grammar check just not useful any more

Spelling and grammar check used to be a great tool for improving one's essays etc., but now the suggestions are inappropriate and it has become a waste of time using it from my perspective.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add all pc features to mac version of Word

Full featured is great. But Current Mac version makes us feel like second class citizens. Offer at least most of PC features. You will sell more software! Many of the requests below come down to this. Put politics aside and serve eager users!

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base