Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Bring back auto-correct functionality in context-menu please

Office 2011 for Mac Word and earlier versions of Office for Windows had an 'autocorrect this word always to ...'-function in the context-menu. I find this feature essential for all good text editing software. But in the Office 2016 version it is gone! Why on earth? The contextual autocorrect-functionallity makes working with a text editor so much more comfortable when one can quickly add the automatic correction of a word e.g. with diacritical symbols like (in French): crème brûlée. Before you just had to right-click, go to auto-correct and click on the correct spelling of the word and in the…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow to optional disable OneDrive - set the Save/Open dialog to permanently use local storage

let the user completely disable OneDrive integration so that the default open/save dialog point to the local store

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save as PDF stays on "Processing" when overwriting previous PDF

Cannot overwrite a PDF file. I have to “Save As” as a new PDF every time. I have the latest version of MacOS and Word. This did not happen before. If I try to Save As with the same name as an existing file, I confirm that I want to replace the file, but then it freezes on “Processing” and I cannot use Word anymore.

Then I’ll have to quit Word (I don’t have to “Force Quit”, just regular Quit) and the problem keeps happening no matter where I save the file (locally or in my integrated Dropbox folder).

The…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable Live Preview for fonts

Enable written text to preview what a new font would look like by rolling over the font list.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lose the 'Welcome Back' notification.

Please drop the 'Welcome Back' notification when a work in progress document is opened or, provide an option to turn it off. It is an inane annoyance. We are not children.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. side by side view for two open documents!

In Word 2016' View menu, there should be an option for a side by side view for two open documents! This exists in Windows; why not Mac?

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. delete recent files

Enable multiple deletion for recently used files - not just Word but Excel and Powerpoint too. The list becomes so long they are no longer 'recently used' files. You should be able to delete as you wish with command+select as you can in Finder etc.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring Back Scrapbook (or similar functions)

Nothing in Word for Mac 2016 duplicates the functions of Scrapbook, which are essential to my work, and I will be stuck using the 2011 version until these are added.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bring back formal grammar rules option in Word's grammar checker

Word used to have an option to use a standard grammar or formal grammar libraries. The option for formal writing is no longer there. Please bring it back

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I want to use the macros and the Autotext that I created in Word 2011 and earlier versions. Please allow us to do so.

I want to use the macros and the Autotext that I created in Word 2011 and earlier versions. Please allow us to do so.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. We need Custom Highlight Colors

The standard palette faces several usability problems. Nobody can read a black text highlighted with dark blue!!!!!
    We need new colors

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bug in Word 16.16 (180812)

Since update to 16.16, text boxes are broken. When printing or converting to PDF, the content of the text box is duplicated, enlarged several hundred percent, and overlaps the real textbook below. This all worked fine on previous versions. Every single document I have (thousands) has a text box at the top, so this is a real issue for me.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make the selection highlight color the same as chosen in the OS system preferences

The selection highlight color (the color that appears when you select text, etc.) is significantly lighter than the color I chose in my Mac's System Preferences. It's so washed out that the default color options are barely visible, making it appear that selecting text is not functioning. But in the file selection menus (the one that comes up when you open Word or go to File > Open Document) the selection highlight color matches my System Preferences choice. Please make the selection highlight color in the document (when you're writing or editing) match the highlight color chosen in System Preferences.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Auto recovery in Word when freezes or crashes

I understand that the auto recovery features has been removed from recent update to Word for Mac 2016, in the past when a file was forced to close, the recovered file would open with 'auto recovery file name' and give you the option of which version you want to restore and use, this feature has been removed, please please bring it back as the auto save and auto reocvery files are not working.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Post To Blog On Mac

We need the same feature that we have on Windows version but for Mac one. I am one of well-known blogger, I bought Mac specifically for writing and only to find out that my all-time favorite typing application Word doesn't have the post-to-blog feature I was disappointed. So please add that for Mac version so that some of us bloggers can do some work on Mac using the Office 365 Word 2016 for blog.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Option To Turn Off Cloud Fonts in Word for Mac

Please provide an option to turn off cloud fonts in the Mac version of Word as you do in the Windows version. I've had to return to version 16.16 to get away from such a large font menu.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make Draft View the default when opening Word for Mac

Word for Mac version 16.10 no longer allows users to open documents in Draft View. You used to have a "Allow opening a document in Draft view check box." Go back to that. Or better, make Draft view the default once again.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Opening Docs in format of last use

Hi,
    The recent update of Word 2016 for Mac odes not appear to open the documents in the "View" or the position of last use. I am using the latest version of High Sierra, but doc all open in "Print" "View" in the middle of the screen at 100% size. It was a helpful feature to open in web view at the size I was editing and in the position last opened... especially since I usually have multiple docs open at a time.
    Thank you for all your hard efforts.
    Jim

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)