Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Mini tool bar needed

Mini tool bar needed

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Word 2016 compatible with MathType

As the the title implies. Sooner rather than later, please.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please re-instate automatic numbering for comments.

Please reinstate automatic numbering for comments. 90% of Word users are not macro geeks and just want this word processing tool to work and make their job easier. We bought Macs because they just work, unless MS gets involved somewhere along the line.
    MS have taken a good tool, Word 2011, "upgraded" it and made it worse. Please sort this.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Side by Side view of 2 documents.

Microsoft Word for Mac needs to be able to have a menu option and keyboard shortcut for arranging the windows of 2 documents to be side by side. The top - bottom arrangement is no good because of the small window space available to see both documents.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Save as PDF stays on "Processing" when overwriting previous PDF

Cannot overwrite a PDF file. I have to “Save As” as a new PDF every time. I have the latest version of MacOS and Word. This did not happen before. If I try to Save As with the same name as an existing file, I confirm that I want to replace the file, but then it freezes on “Processing” and I cannot use Word anymore.

Then I’ll have to quit Word (I don’t have to “Force Quit”, just regular Quit) and the problem keeps happening no matter where I save the file (locally or in my integrated Dropbox folder).

The…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reorder styles in the Quick Style list

It would be handy to have an option to reorder styles in Quick Style list. Depending on document's content and stage (e.g. creation vs final formatting), I need different styles to be accessed with a single click.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Put the Insert > Online Photo on Word for Mac.

The feature is missing on Mac version.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back auto-correct functionality in context-menu please

Office 2011 for Mac Word and earlier versions of Office for Windows had an 'autocorrect this word always to ...'-function in the context-menu. I find this feature essential for all good text editing software. But in the Office 2016 version it is gone! Why on earth? The contextual autocorrect-functionallity makes working with a text editor so much more comfortable when one can quickly add the automatic correction of a word e.g. with diacritical symbols like (in French): crème brûlée. Before you just had to right-click, go to auto-correct and click on the correct spelling of the word and in the…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Reinstate in Word Mac 2016 the Mail merge Helper (from Word Windows 2016) or Mailmerge Manager (from Word for Mac 2011)

Word for Windows 2016 still has the mail merge helper. I have the button for it in my quick-access toolbar. I know it is a legacy tool, but I drafted a trust with it just yesterday, so I know it still works. My copy of Word:Mac 2011 also has the Mailmerge Manager and that feature still works as well. I just cannot find it in Word for Mac 2016.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow to optional disable OneDrive - set the Save/Open dialog to permanently use local storage

let the user completely disable OneDrive integration so that the default open/save dialog point to the local store

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring Back Scrapbook (or similar functions)

Nothing in Word for Mac 2016 duplicates the functions of Scrapbook, which are essential to my work, and I will be stuck using the 2011 version until these are added.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Comments not numbered!

Showing numbers on each comment bubble was an absolutely essential feature of Word, and as a professional editor I am really upset to see it is missing from 2016. The workaround of using paragraph numbers within the comments is a terrible substitute, because it makes it harder to have multi-paragraph comments. The comment bubbles are also difficult to distinguish from formatting or insertion/deletion changes, and there aren't different colored bubbles for each commenter as far as I can tell.

Please, please provide options to reinstate the most useful collaboration features. It makes it much more difficult to collaborate in this…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. delete recent files

Enable multiple deletion for recently used files - not just Word but Excel and Powerpoint too. The list becomes so long they are no longer 'recently used' files. You should be able to delete as you wish with command+select as you can in Finder etc.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bug in Word 16.16 (180812)

Since update to 16.16, text boxes are broken. When printing or converting to PDF, the content of the text box is duplicated, enlarged several hundred percent, and overlaps the real textbook below. This all worked fine on previous versions. Every single document I have (thousands) has a text box at the top, so this is a real issue for me.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Auto recovery in Word when freezes or crashes

I understand that the auto recovery features has been removed from recent update to Word for Mac 2016, in the past when a file was forced to close, the recovered file would open with 'auto recovery file name' and give you the option of which version you want to restore and use, this feature has been removed, please please bring it back as the auto save and auto reocvery files are not working.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make Draft View the default when opening Word for Mac

Word for Mac version 16.10 no longer allows users to open documents in Draft View. You used to have a "Allow opening a document in Draft view check box." Go back to that. Or better, make Draft view the default once again.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Opening Docs in format of last use

Hi,
    The recent update of Word 2016 for Mac odes not appear to open the documents in the "View" or the position of last use. I am using the latest version of High Sierra, but doc all open in "Print" "View" in the middle of the screen at 100% size. It was a helpful feature to open in web view at the size I was editing and in the position last opened... especially since I usually have multiple docs open at a time.
    Thank you for all your hard efforts.
    Jim

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Reinstate numbering on Comments feature

Reinstate numbering on Comments feature. This version without numbers makes this upgrade unproductive!

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)