Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. OS X Auto-save and Versioning

Use OS X's Auto-save and versioning capabilities, so you no longer have to Save documents.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Drag and Drop navigation pane

The navigation pane on Word for Windows allows you to drag and drop entire sections to different areas of the document, which translates into a very efficient way to reorder all the different parts of a large document. This feature is entirely missing in Word for Mac and should be included as soon as possible.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add support for Latex to the equation editor!

I am a research scientist and it is really a burden to use the equation editor without support for Latex under Word365 for mac. Please add the Latex support! thanks!

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When importing PDF into Word 2016 for Mac, allow choice of page as in Word 2011

When you place a multipage PDF in Word 2011, Word tells you "The file contains multiple pages. Select the page to insert." Word 2016 does not and only imports the first page.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) for Macs

Please add the Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) to MS Word for Macs. All of my work requires Word and this toolbar saves a lot of time!

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Proofing tools for Office (2016) for Mac

With reference to http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d9196232-2aff-40a2-a4ea-ca6241932395:

Apparently, proofing tools for Office for Mac are not available. I am Office 365 business customer and it comes a complete surprise that I can't proof my documents in Slovenian language on Mac -- but I am able to do so in Office Onlne and in Windows.

Additionally, there are language packs available for windows versions but not for mac versions. Why?!

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Black theme for Office 2016 for Mac

Very frustrating as I enjoy this feature. NOT focus mode but the actual theme itself. Currently all that is available is Classic and Colourful

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Why can I still not convert documents to PDF, while retaining hyperlinks AND font/formatting??

Really? How is this still a problem? I see comments about this problem all over the internet for the past 5 years.

If I export my document, it either retains hyperlinks, but formatting is all messed up. OR formatting and fonts are correct but hyperlinks do not work.

It is severely hampering my productivity and discouraging me from using Word. So frustrating.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Why is Office for the Mac 2016 the ONLY version of office that doesn't allow you to customize ribbons.

Why is Office for the Mac 2016 the ONLY version of office that doesn't allow you to customize ribbons. You took away the customizable toolbar that was in 2011, leaving 2016 customers with nothing, just a template of tiny icons at the top that aren't for experienced users. If you can customize the ribbon in 365, why won't you let us customize it in 2016? Why did you take this feature away? Is this a plot to get more money from your customers by forcing them to subscribe to the cloud-based Office.

Bring back a customizable toolbar or ribbon.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Page Setup which only apply to specific page(s).

In current version if we want to change page orientation, it will apply to all pages, in fact we need to change only specific pages. I know this capability exist in Word Windows version.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add choice to NOT share diagnostic data

After the latest Office update, every time I open an Office app, I am presented with a window with the heading, "Share how you use Office" and given two choices: "Full diagnostic data" and "Basic diagnostic data." However, I don't wish to automatically share any diagnostic data, although there is no option for that. However, I am not forced to make a choice, as I can simply click the red "X" to close the window and continue to use Office as normal. The problem is this window pops up every time I open an Office app. Since this is obviously…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Embedding PDF

Is it possible to get a function to embed entire pdf files as an icon into documents instead of only single pages at the time

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Re-introduce a way to easily delete a comment in the margin

Comments on the text: it used to be possible to tick them off (deleting them) easily in the previous version of Word by clicking on the cross-button in the comment balloon. Now one has to use a right-mouse-click, which is inconvenient, or the ribbon somewhere, which would most of the time require several clicks.

And BTW, while you are at it: why not re-introducing proper balloons rather than unclear flat white comments for which it is unclear to which section of text they refer and for which one can hardly see the difference with the next comment of review-edit.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Word for Mac 2008 crashes in Mojave when asked to print. How is that progress, and what can I do about it?

Word for Mac 2008 crashes in Mojave when asked to print. How is that progress, and what can I do about it?

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bring back Publishing View

Word 2011 had publishing layout which was much more user-friendly for flyers, etc, especially since the Publisher application isn't available for Macs. Can Publishing Layout please be brought back asap?

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. AutoSave

Replace AutoRecover with AutoSave. Also keep a history in the file similar to if it was saved as a OneDrive file.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Stop making it so complicated!

Why do you need to make it entirely different from the PC version and make it a hassle everytime you need to switch between Word on PC and Word on Mac? It's incredibly frustrating and stupid. It's not even remotely close to being the same product. Rubish.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Clear recent documents

Please add the ability to clear multiple or all recent documents.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow Mac OS X built in dictionary look up with three finger tap.

In OS X you can tap on a word (e.g. in safari, Preview and many other apps) with three fingers and this looks up the word in macs built in dictionary. I would like to use this feature in Word and all the other Office apps too.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Additional Touch Bar Functions for MacBook Pro

Predictive text on Microsoft Office applications would be a massive improvement with the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base