Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Microsoft Office 2016 does not support Equation editor 3.0.

I am Maths teacher. After installing Microsoft office 2016, since it does not support Equation editor 3.0, all equations cannot be viewed and edited. That means Maths teachers from all around the world cannot edit their notes any more. So I sincerely ask for your help to buy the license from Mathtype again. Thanks.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

161 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. As noted in the Changes to Office 2016 article (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt715497(v=office.16).aspx) Equation Editor 3.0 is no longer supported by Office. These objects can still be edited if you have the MathType plugin installed. We are aware of the issues with Equation Editor 3.0 and are considering potential mitigations, though as this equation editing is no longer supported we encourage you to use Microsoft’s built-in equation editing tools instead where possible.

2. Drag and Drop navigation pane

The navigation pane on Word for Windows allows you to drag and drop entire sections to different areas of the document, which translates into a very efficient way to reorder all the different parts of a large document. This feature is entirely missing in Word for Mac and should be included as soon as possible.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add support for Latex to the equation editor!

I am a research scientist and it is really a burden to use the equation editor without support for Latex under Word365 for mac. Please add the Latex support! thanks!

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Detailed Compatibility Report with other Word versions

Office for Mac 2011 can generate a "Compatibility Report" to check a document's compatibility with other versions of Office - either for Mac and Windows. Microsoft has a URL that explains it all: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Check-a-document-for-compatibility-c5aa52e0-15c8-4da7-9942-379552795d90

This feature has been removed, please set it back as there are still some cross-version issues when sharing documents (Office 2016 with 2013, 2011 for Mac, 2010, 2007, etc.)

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. OS X Auto-save and Versioning

Use OS X's Auto-save and versioning capabilities, so you no longer have to Save documents.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) for Macs

Please add the Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) to MS Word for Macs. All of my work requires Word and this toolbar saves a lot of time!

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Reduce The Default Margin (www.reducethemargin.com)

The average office goer uses 10,000 sheets of A4 copy paper a year for printing.
And globally, the most favoured official software being Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word
becomes the automatic choice.

What is cause for concern is the fact that the default setting of Microsoft Word leads to each
printed page having a wasted margin area of approximately 38%.

A simple 25% reduction in this default margin setting on MS word can reduce the wasted area on every printed sheet and help save millions of trees in the long run.

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Proofing tools for Office (2016) for Mac

With reference to http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d9196232-2aff-40a2-a4ea-ca6241932395:

Apparently, proofing tools for Office for Mac are not available. I am Office 365 business customer and it comes a complete surprise that I can't proof my documents in Slovenian language on Mac -- but I am able to do so in Office Onlne and in Windows.

Additionally, there are language packs available for windows versions but not for mac versions. Why?!

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. When importing PDF into Word 2016 for Mac, allow choice of page as in Word 2011

When you place a multipage PDF in Word 2011, Word tells you "The file contains multiple pages. Select the page to insert." Word 2016 does not and only imports the first page.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Black theme for Office 2016 for Mac

Very frustrating as I enjoy this feature. NOT focus mode but the actual theme itself. Currently all that is available is Classic and Colourful

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I would like to see a larger range of highlight colours, perhaps a choose your own, because I find some of the colours too dark.

I would like to see a larger range of highlight colours, perhaps a choose your own, because I find some of the colours too dark.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Clear recent documents

Please add the ability to clear multiple or all recent documents.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. yeet

yeet

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Why is Office for the Mac 2016 the ONLY version of office that doesn't allow you to customize ribbons.

Why is Office for the Mac 2016 the ONLY version of office that doesn't allow you to customize ribbons. You took away the customizable toolbar that was in 2011, leaving 2016 customers with nothing, just a template of tiny icons at the top that aren't for experienced users. If you can customize the ribbon in 365, why won't you let us customize it in 2016? Why did you take this feature away? Is this a plot to get more money from your customers by forcing them to subscribe to the cloud-based Office.

Bring back a customizable toolbar or ribbon.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Page Setup which only apply to specific page(s).

In current version if we want to change page orientation, it will apply to all pages, in fact we need to change only specific pages. I know this capability exist in Word Windows version.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Additional Touch Bar Functions for MacBook Pro

Predictive text on Microsoft Office applications would be a massive improvement with the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add choice to NOT share diagnostic data

After the latest Office update, every time I open an Office app, I am presented with a window with the heading, "Share how you use Office" and given two choices: "Full diagnostic data" and "Basic diagnostic data." However, I don't wish to automatically share any diagnostic data, although there is no option for that. However, I am not forced to make a choice, as I can simply click the red "X" to close the window and continue to use Office as normal. The problem is this window pops up every time I open an Office app. Since this is obviously…

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dictate

Make a way I can disable dictate from auto shutting off. When I'm dictating sometimes I stop to think and/or read.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base