Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Word count

Please bring back the "words out of total" view, which very easily shows us how many words we have of the total word count in a document. It's ridiculous that you have removed this option from Word for Mac 2016. I'm dumping it straightaway and going back to Word for Mac 2011.

404 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

157 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. having emojis

you could have access to emojis on word

383 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Return Writing Styles in Grammar Checker in Word 2016

In Word 2011 You could go to Spelling & Grammar Preference and Choose from several Writing Styles:
    Casual
    Standard
    Formal
    Technical
    Custom

In 2016 this has been completely left out. Many Doctors, Lawyers College Personnel and student, Technical Manual Writers, Government agencies will have to find another Product take up the slack.

314 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

135 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 242 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Remove the edit lock on read-only files

This new 'feature' means all docs opened in read-only mode (like every attachment from Outlook) are unfortunately locked for editing until they are duplicated/saved. I definitely don’t want to save the dozens of attachments I access on a daily basis, but sometimes you want to tweak some spacing to print a document or jot down some notes to take a call. This just adds extra minutes to every day and contributes to file bloat.

233 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please bring back the Clipboard Feature for Office 2016 for Mac especially for Word

Using the Clipboard feature would benefit many Word users when we need to paste different words repeatedly in a document. Without this feature can be a hassle or daunting when I have to create same lesson plans for 2 different classes.

227 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 188 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Mini Toolbar

Where is Mini Toolbar (appears on selecting any text to change font etc.). Missing badly needed feature..! Please give attention Monks!

184 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back a fully functional VBE (visual basic editor)

We need to import .bas files containing macros prepared in Office 2011and cannot do it.

183 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. I would like to see a larger range of highlight colours, perhaps a choose your own, because I find some of the colours too dark.

I would like to see a larger range of highlight colours, perhaps a choose your own, because I find some of the colours too dark.

182 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Why can I still not convert documents to PDF, while retaining hyperlinks AND font/formatting??

Really? How is this still a problem? I see comments about this problem all over the internet for the past 5 years.

If I export my document, it either retains hyperlinks, but formatting is all messed up. OR formatting and fonts are correct but hyperlinks do not work.

It is severely hampering my productivity and discouraging me from using Word. So frustrating.

166 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a Delete Page Button

When working on some Word documents, I sometimes end up with a couple blank pages at the end (with the header / footer). I wish there was some sort of easier way to delete these blank pages instead of backspacing all the way up from the bottom. I think it would be a good ideas to incorporate a page delete function, similar to deleting unwanted slides in powerpoint, which is very easy and straight-forward.

159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Comment Numbers

Please bring back the comment numbers to Word. I am a professor with a cerebral palsy, and I dictate all my comments for my students. I used to be able to say "comment 1, comment 2, etc." for my transcriber to easily follow my dictations. Now, I have to physically add each comment number to ensure that the correct comment goes in the correct box. By removing the comment numbers, it is now much more laborious of a task to comment on my student's papers. Please bring this feature back!

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Khmer Font Broken in Microsoft Word with OS X Sierra

With the Sierra OS X update on the Mac, Khmer Unicode no longer fully renders correctly in Microsoft Word. This is a regression bug as Khmer Unicode previously worked on Mac OS X El Capitan.

Sample Khmer text that renders incorrectly in Microsoft Word:
    ស្រស់
    ប្រើ

Please fix this ASAP as it makes Microsoft Word useless to those of us who use it with the Khmer language.

154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Why don't you keep the same functions as in Word 2011?

Office Mac 2011 is very complete. However in Office Mac 2016 we miss various functions (such as import .bas files in VBE, etc.). It makes the application very incomplete. Sometimes I find it unusable. To this, we must add tons of crashes when working with the Word, Excel, etc.

Do keep same functionality as in Office 2011.

Regards,

John

151 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Restore (to Word for Mac 2016) ability to hide "reviewer, time stamp" in comment balloons

In Word for Mac 2011, I could set my Preferences > Reviewing to hide the reviewer, time stamp, and action buttons in comment balloons. I liked this because I am a writing teacher and I make a lot of comments. With my name and the time stamp on ever one, it takes up too much space, often spilling past the margins and into a sidebar or a bottom-bar.

In Word for Mac 2016, this function is removed, and I really need it back. Please. It's a simple little checkbox. I and my students are severely inconvenienced by this. Thank you.

137 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Reduce The Default Margin (www.reducethemargin.com)

The average office goer uses 10,000 sheets of A4 copy paper a year for printing.
And globally, the most favoured official software being Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word
becomes the automatic choice.

What is cause for concern is the fact that the default setting of Microsoft Word leads to each
printed page having a wasted margin area of approximately 38%.

A simple 25% reduction in this default margin setting on MS word can reduce the wasted area on every printed sheet and help save millions of trees in the long run.

135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Embed fonts in Word documents

I want to be able to embed fonts in Word Documents so that I have the fonts on any computer I open that document on. This feature is in Word for Windows but not Word for Mac.

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Embedded html link from .doc to .pdf

I'm using Word 2016 on Mac, but when I save a .pdf file from a .doc document it lost hyperlink.
    In details, if I want to create an hyperlink starting to a simple word (ex: industry name) who take me to industry's website, saving .doc as .pdf will lost the hyperlink, but formatted word remain ad an hypertext.

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)