Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. MicroSoft word for Mac - 2008 Version 12.3.6 (130206) is to slow to react to selected actions. It takes too long to open and to save.

The Version 12.3.6 (130206) does not perform very well. It takes too long to open, close and save. My computer is an iMac 21.5 inch Mid 2014 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor with 8GB 1700 MHz DDR3 memory, so it is not an "old" machine! I think this version of Word is pretty feeble.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Word is near useless for mathematical documents

I am using OSX 10.9.5 and Word for Mac 2011 14.5.8, which I purchased from the university for university work.

Typesetting mathematics is fine, but after a few pages Word can't handle it anymore. It stops saving, corrupts documents, and I have to start all over again. I've saved backups, but I can't compile them into one complete, uncorrupted document.

I have wasted many, many hours on this, and it's disappointing that Word can't handle 7 pages of mathematics without barfing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add names to database to avoid embarrassing situations!

My name is normally changes to "Sushi" and both my colleagues and students find it embarrassing. Could you please add less known names to the database so that autocorrect or red squiggle are not triggered?
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. latest updates has broken the "show all nonprinting characters" preferences.

spaces show up as black dots (instead of blue) and you can turn them all on or all off but nothing in between.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The search function is inadequate

The search box does not even let me find the word I was looking for. It limits me to replacing a word which is not what I intended to do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Audio recording in Notebook Layout (Mac 2011) regularly freezes Word

This has happened for years, both with my Macbook Pro using OS 10.6.8 and now OS 10.11.2. After stopping and starting the recording 3-10 times, WORD freezes. And in agreement with another comment, please don't lose either Notebook Layout or the recording feature. Both incredibly useful!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow dialog boxes to be properly navigated by keyboard, not only mouse.

For example, ⌘+D brings up the Font dialog box but the only way to select a font is to page through the list using the mouse. It should be possible, as it was in Word 2011, to start typing the name of a font and be taken immediately to the place in the list of fonts that corresponds to what one types. I should be able to type TA and immediately be able to use the arrow keys to get right to Tahoma, rather than having to page or scroll all the way down from the very top.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow font management

Word 2016 has fonts stored in the application package, making font management very difficult. The overwhelming majority of users probably don't need foreign-language fonts and those who do certainly don't need every single one. So we shouldn't have to page through an endless list of fonts we'll never use.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow all keys and modifiers to be used for custom keyboard shortcuts.

Arrow keys on MacBook Pro cannot be used, unlike in Word 2011. Please restore this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Sharepoint options to Quick Access toolbar

I miss the "Check In" "Check Out" and "Discard Checkout" options that are available on the Windows side. They make workflow a bit faster when editing many documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Visible Save button on Windows 2008 for MAC

When saving a file, the file save screen allows me to choose all features and options. However, I can click on the save button because it is below the screen. This problem began when I upgraded to Yosemite.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please test Office 2011 program interaction over OS X El Capitán

Hello. I've working to input data from questionnaires into an Excel spreadsheet (two screens open at the time) and the headers and toolbars of the Word questionnaires keep disappearing! This is annoying as the documents header contains coding information and I can't check, handle, resize or close them after a few minutes without having to go to the menu bars. Latest installed update: 14.6.0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. iCloud Drive Support

Allow the option to add iCloud Drive to the online locations menu and create a designated folder in iCloud.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When having 2 or more documents open, they should be open in tab form (just like an interest browser), not in separate windows.

I usually have many word documents open at the same time and I feel like they're all over the place and not organized at all. I think an option should be added where when having 2 or more documents open, they should be open in tab form (just like an interest browser), not in separate windows.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Normally I love microsoft office products, but I have some serious problems this time. The last two time I bought office, I bought it at th

Since I haven't been given enough words to give my opinion, it seems evident that listening is not your strong point. For the first time in history, I would anxiously entertain the possibility of an office competitor to replace microsoft. Please stay out of my personal documents and please don't ask me to allow you to connect to my work in progress. I already had to pay twice for one office program, but your system refuses to admit microsoft error.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bring back auto-correct functionality in context-menu please

Office 2011 for Mac Word and earlier versions of Office for Windows had an 'autocorrect this word always to ...'-function in the context-menu. I find this feature essential for all good text editing software. But in the Office 2016 version it is gone! Why on earth? The contextual autocorrect-functionallity makes working with a text editor so much more comfortable when one can quickly add the automatic correction of a word e.g. with diacritical symbols like (in French): crème brûlée. Before you just had to right-click, go to auto-correct and click on the correct spelling of the word and in the…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Word 2011 works better than Word 2016

It is a pity that Word 2016 can not open a file of 12 MB on different computers. Office 2011 opens on three kicks with the same hardware.

And I say that is a real shame because the UI was lovely but applications Excel, Outlook and Word weak in its programming, as well as consume more resources.

They should bring to the attention of those responsible for programming this comment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please allow for more comprehensive use of search function

Such as the ability to see the number of search results, and being able to automatically change one bit of text to something else (like an editor would use). I find myself constantly switching between word processors because this feature is in another word processor and causes me a lot of trouble.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Word for Mac 2011 [14.6.0 (151221)] in El Capitan [10.11.2] crashes if wrong password

When opening a password-protected document but entering the wrong password, WORD crashes, always, without exception. Just created and sent you about 10 instances in a row. Please help bad typists!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base