Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Improve stability when working in split screen view

Improve stability when working in split screen view as right now word often freezes when being used in split screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Autocorrect two CApital letters doesn't work for Russian/Ukrainian!!!

Autocorrect two CApital letters doesn't work for Russian/Ukrainian!!! You can not fix it for two years!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. right now i cant stand mac or word u have changed ur setting and it will not spell check my assignments i should hold u liable and as ur so

i cant get spell check to work properly they keep changing the bloody program and its ruining my life

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Restoring Word 2011 for Mac features in Word for Mac 2016

I am a teacher who recently purchased and installed the latest version of Word for Mac 2016. I was very disappointed to discover that three functions of the 2011 version that are essential to the reviewing and correcting of my students assignments, no longer exist:

► The floating (customizable) toolbar, which allowed for easy and quick access to frequently used fonts and tools is no longer available.

► The Focus View, which was available in the University subscription.

► The option to remove the reviewer’s name from the reviews appearing on the right side of the document is no longer…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow different fonts for different languages

I would like to set a template with one font & size (e.g. 16 pt) for Chinese and another font & size for English (e.g. 12 pt).

Currently it seems I have to keep the same font for both. Either the English is too big, or I can't quite see the details of the most complicated Chinese characters.

Chinese characters are much easier to read in the larger font.

I work with a lot of bilingual or even trilingual documents and this would make my life so much easier.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Luxemburgish proofing tools for Word & Outlook for Mac

Proofing Tools should be equal for Mac- and Windows-products. If Luxembourgish is supported in Word for Windows, it should be supported in Word for Mac too

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow to email from a different default mail account like Spark

I want to be able to easily share a word (or excel) document using a different email app than Outlook or Mail (Apple). When I use Spark, it doesn't work

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How to save files in OneDrive with special characters (" ?, etc)

How to save files in OneDrive with special characters (" ?, etc)?
    It's annoying to have to change or cancel them..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. citations

As a student, I need to pull together various sources of information, analyse, and produce a quality paper with correct citations. However, I can't join two or more single citations in APA format within the same parentheses. I can only complete the above by converting text to static and manually joining the citations, thus reducing productivity and requiring extra manual intervention than necessary if I need to remove, add or modify citations. For example, it is not possible to do the following...(Stone, 2008; Flintstone, 2007)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. number lines

Please I need to number lines within a text without an automatic page break (Word 2016 for mac).
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Word 2016: AppleScript "documents" wrong

Request to Fix: Word 2016 list of documents from AppleScript is not always correct.

The AppleScript interface into Word 2016 does not always provide a correct list of documents.

If you open several documents (let's say 10) and then close documents 3 and 7, running the AppleScript command to list open documents will often return an incorrect document list. One document will appear twice in the list and on occasion some won't be listed at all.

tell application "Microsoft Word"

set allNames to ""

set names to name of documents
    repeat with currentName in names
    set allNames to allNames &
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Reopen Windows on Restart

When restarting mac, we get the option to "reopen windows when logging back in." Historically this has allowed all open MS Word and other Office programs to reopen all of the files that were previously open on the desktop. In the 2016 version, this functionality has stopped working. When my mac is running slow, but I'm working on 4-5 different Word documents and I want to restart the computer to make it faster, it's a big challenge to remember the names of the documents that were previously open. Many of us have Word documents that we are referencing but are…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug report in Word 2016 for Mac: Select a figure inserted in Word, typing in new height of figure sometimes doesn't change the size

Bug report in Word 2016 for Mac: Select a figure inserted in Word, typing in new height of figure sometimes doesn't change the size

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I just got an email with Word Editor.

I called Microsoft and after receiving your email about Word Editor. It spoke of red line for spelling corrections, blue for grammar corrections. I have both working with 2016 edition. But I do not get the gold underline for style suggestions. Since I'm doing my autobiography I need to self-edit and it would come in handy. But when I called your technician, he consulted with supervisor and it's not available for Mac. I will also call Mac. Please send me email when you have it available for me. Put in subject line: Microsoft Editor for Mac available. If it is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring back blue background and permit Word for Mac 2011 saving. I am wasting hours just trying to SAVE

It appears that 30 years old war with Apple goes on. Like Germans, when they have no sex they go to war. Italians say: maybe next month I will meet somebody?
    I persuaded Microsoft in 1991, to use Polish fonts and spellcheck. Why was hate of the Polish language, which is understood by close to 100 million people?
    Allow Mac users to save into Word for Mac 2011, without endless compatibility checks with obsolete Windows versions. You lost in the Courts and in a stock market, exercise some humility if you want to survive. As a journalist I am tempted…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. MS Word spell-check correction

MS Word incorrectly suggests changing "well ordered" to "well-ordered." The hyphen is not necessary when the adjective is preceded by "well."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hyperlinking in headers and footers.

Microsoft Word needs to create a way to be able to include clickable hyperlinks in the headers and footers. You can certainly create a hyperlink in a header, however, once you click out of the header (no longer editing it), you can't actually click on the link. You have to go back into the header editing mode.
    Sometimes I need to make it so that every page in a very long document needs to be able to link back to a specific location within the document. I realize that there are loopholes that allow you to do this, but really....those…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. FIX THE STYLES EDITOR. It is so frustrating to make a style change and then have the document I am working on revert back to another style.

Quite frankly, the Styles function sucks. I change a style, e.g., I created a set of Headings in a certain format and sent the document to a colleague for comments. He added a note to the headings in red font. I changed all of those inputs back to black font but as I am going through the document, I find the numbers in red font. I change them back and they magically change back to red. There are many other examples but one will suffice. When I change a style, it should not revert to a previous style. FIX THIS!!!!!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)