Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. include line space when you click paste and match formatting.

When pasting text using paste and match formatting, it does not match the line spacing I have set.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Work menu

Work menu - this was a feature prior to Office 2011 - it was so very useful! Why did you remove it? Please restore. For those who don't know - it created a hot-list of docs that you frequently use rather than having to scroll through your entire "recent docs" list.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Could you add Nepali proofing tool to the Word 2016 Mac?

I frequently type in Nepali. There's a proofing tool for Nepali for Word 2016 on windows, but there's no proofing tool for Mac.
    I think it is unfair to have certain features only for the windows version only.
    Please look into the matter.
    It will help me greatly!
    Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fix generating tagged PDF

Currently tagged PDF can be generated only using online service in Word 2016 for Mac. This service does not work with custom fonts, it replaces all custom ones with defaults, thus messing up a PDF file. Relying on online service requires active Internet connection which is not always available.

Using a regular print-to-pdf renders fonts correctly but does not generate tagged files.

So now the only solution in this situation is to use only Windows version of Office to generate tagged PDF files with proper font rendering.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. The maximize shortcut <shift><command>M doesn't fill the screen in Office 365. Kinda odd. Can you fix?

The maximize shortcut <shift><command>M doesn't fill the screen in Office 365. Kinda odd. Can you fix?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Word Crashes when I Press Command, O and I (Bug)

When I try to italicise my work, in addition to "Command + I", I often press "O" as well. This key combo generates a crash.

More info at: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msomac/word-for-mac-2016-crashes-when-i-press-command-o/a6e9de69-cf39-4483-919a-88f9cda036b3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please create a note-taking section

I would like to suggest an addition to Word:

1. What and Where?
      A note-taking section to run alongside the right and left side of the page.

2. Why?
      To be used to keep record of thoughts and ideas while writing a paper or typing a document. I often have to create two word documents when writing a paper. One for book references, ideas, and thoughts; the other is the final paper. It would be much easier and convenient is I could keep my note right alongside the Word page so I can look at it as I am writing my final…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Zoom In Zoom Out keyboard shortcut

Zoom In/Out keyboard shortcut of: CMD +, CMD -, CMD 0 (zoom in, zoom out, reset zoom) for all Office apps.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add command that allows you to jump back to previous cursor points

Suppose I'm reviewing a document, jumping from point to point. Now suppose I realize I need to go back to a spot I was reading several jumps ago. It would vastly speed up document navigation if there were a command that allowed me to successively jump back through my last (100, say) cursor points (and another command that allowed me to go forward). Good choices might be SHIFT-F1 for back and SHIFT-F2 for forward — or maybe SHIFT-F7 for back and SHIFT-F9 for forward, since those are already labeled with backward and forward symbols (for music and video) .

Basically,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Export from word modifies extensions (doc to docc, pdf to pdff, ...)

Please fix the following bug:
    exporting word files (not tried with excel, probably the same behavior) containing accented chars like "ü", doubles the last extension chars like in the title.
    Thanks in advance

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. APA bibliography not sorted alphabetically for Word for Mac

I'm using the built-in bibliography, but the bibliography for APA is not sorted alphabetically by author, which it should be, according to the APA style guide. Furthermore, when I open a Word Document that was created in Word for Windows, and using the APA citation style, the citation style is shown as '(unknown)' on Word for Mac. Can this be fixed

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please bring back autosummarize

Previous versions of word have had this feature but for some reason, 2016 doesn't. Please bring it back, it was a large reason why I use word.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Tables: Make 'Default Cell Margins' globally customizable

When importing tables created in Excel, the outermost left- and right-hand columns of text are by default always indented .45 picas, but all horizontal rules within the tables come in at full width. While it's simple to remove the indents to make everything align (by going to Table > Table Properties > Options > Default Cell Margins, and changing left and right margins to zero), it's a cumbersome process in a Word document containing hundreds of imported tables. A better procedure would be to add this to the customizable features of the Normal.dotm file, so that a one-time adjustment becomes…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Converting Word 2011 files to PDF changes formatting

When I convert a Word 2011 v.15.32 file to PDF, it changes the formatting: font changes; text changes from bold in Word to regular in PDF, and vice versa (regular in Word changes to bold in PDF); italicized text in Word is not italicized in PDF. This is a new problem that didn't occur in earlier versions of Word. When I open the Word doc in Word 2008, it converts properly to PDF.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The whole 2016 Office Suite for Mac needs a rethink

Here is yet another a major problem.  I wrote a report of 47 pages (5 MB) in WORD 2016 (Mac) for a client.  The client made some comments using track changes and sent it back to me.  Although the size of the file (5.2MB) is indicated for the returned file, the file shows only up to Page 4.  I notified the client and he resent it.  Same result. So I opened the file in WORD 2008 and all the document (47 pages) opened.  This is just yet another problem that I have been reporting with the 2016 Office programs. Both…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. RTL

Why is there no RTL option in Word for Mac such as exists in Word for Windows??? Or, if such does exist, where is it to be found?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix needed: Can't merge or compare documents

Just migrated to a new iMac running Sierra. I was on El Capitan previously. Word fir Mac V 14.7.2. Moved the entire contents of the old Mac to the new one using Migration Assistant. Things are normal, execpt:

I have lost the ability to Merge documents. I get "Word is unable to compare the documents" whenever I try to use the merge function. This happens even on brand-new documents created on the new computer.

I found a cryptic note in the support forum about resizing the document windows for the two docs I want to compare; but nothing I've tried…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Why does Word CONSTANTLY change my default language to US English. It is such an unbelievably obvious example of US-centrism

Word continuing to have this issue after constant complaints is baffling.
    It is beginning to feel as thought the purposeful objective is to wipe out other English forms. US English is not correct English for the majority of other English speakers. Stop forcing this as the 'default' in Word.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base