Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Symbols and Special Characters

Make finding symbols easier to find, and add a keyboard shortcut for copyright.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Dead PDF hyperlinks in Office 2019

Ten years later, and we still can't save a Word document as a PDF that retains its live hyperlinks.

I've paid £120.00 for Microsoft Home & Student 2019, and this bug still hasn't been fixed.

What a joke.

Microsoft's Mac coding team should hang their heads in shame.

Instead of designing ever more bells and whistles, how about resolving this BASIC issue?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. PDF hyperlinks in Office

Ten years later, and we still can't convert a Word document into a PDF that retains live hyperlinks.

I've paid £120.00 for Microsoft Home & Student 2019, and this bug still hasn't been fixed.

What a joke.

Microsoft's Mac coding team should either hang their heads in shame OR RESIGN.

Here is Adobe's simple drag and drop solution:

https://www.adobe.com/au/acrobat/online/word-to-pdf.html

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Convert all documents in compatibility mode

I upgraded from Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 to Office Home & Student 2019. All the documents are in compatibility mode. I literally have hundreds of them. It would be great if there was a way to convert all documents in compatibility mode to the newer version instead of having to convert them all individually. To take it one step further it would great if you could select which documents you'd like to convert (check box next to each document) with an option to convert all documents. Hope that helps!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please improve 'Open Recent'. It's clunky to say the least and often drops files I've been working on very recently.

Rewrite Open Recent to make it work reliably across Mac operating systems. It's got to be reliable to be any use at all. Nor does open recent transfer lists to a new Mac computer, despite both being on the same Microsoft 365 subscription.
    I think this bit of software has been left behind in the rush to produce new bells and whistles, but for me, it's important

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Navigate through headings using arrow keys.

Navigate through headings using up, down, left (collapse), right (expand) arrow keys.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Suggestion Option for Viewers

I think it would be great if, like in google docs, another person who has access to the document could suggest ideas instead of just viewing and editing. It would be very helpful and easier to work with.

Thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improve dark mode for white text on dark backgrounds

Make fonts more readable when viewing in the new dark mode option. I cannot distinguish between bold and normal as easily. Perhaps the boldness can be sharper than the normal boldness in the conventional black text on white background.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. a tab just for writing formats

it would be nice to have a tab that you can choose from the different writing formats such as mla and then the doccument twould be set up for that specific writing format.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. a tab just for writing formats

it would be nice to have a tab that you can choose from the different writing formats such as mla and then the doccument twould be set up for that specific writing format.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. a tab just for wryting formats

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create a way to retrieve an old version of a file that you saved over with a new name

If you have a job like I do that prevents you from uploading documents to a cloud-based service, you save them to your Mac. But then if you accidentally save over a file, there is no way to get the original Word file back. There should be!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Because features are missing, charge less for it.

Features are missing, and even features that we had a few versions ago have been removed, even important features such as the equation editing functionality. But the price hasn't dropped to match. Please reduce the price to reflect that Word for Mac is a cut-down, inferior app.

Or, better still, bring it up to standard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. have the paragraph you're working on always stay at top half of screen

a way to customize the format so that the area that you're typing stays in a certain range of the document. in other words, i hate that as i'm typing a document whatever i'm writing will ALWAYS be at the bottom of the document, even though it would be way easier for me if it was in the middle or top part of the screen. i would like to be able to choose to write exclusively in the top half of my screen -- it's way better for my neck

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. please make it easier to FIND where to change gridline specs

i have to go to the internet to figure it out since i do it so infrequently. i know how to SHOW and HIDE gridlines.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Custom citation creator

The ability to create and utilize a citation style that is not built in to the word reference options would be great. I use citations that follow the journal of forensic science format and the numerical reference works well but the final reference list needs a lot of tweaking to be correct.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Navigation Pane for Mac - Need to be able to rearrange headings

I am writing a book and trying to arrange the chapters by moving the headers on the navigation pane. I saw this on Youtube. When I do this on a Mac, it does not work. It is taking a lot of work to organize the chapters by hand. I wish I could have switched them around through the navigation Pane. I hope you update this feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Navigation Pane for Mac - Able to move headers around

I am writing a book and trying to arrange the chapters by moving the headers on the navigation pane. I saw this on Youtube. When I do this on a Mac, it does not work. It is taking a lot of work to organize the chapters by hand. I wish I could have switched them around through the navigation Pane. I hope you update this feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)