Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Restore the "classic theme" option on Mac

It seems the option of switching from the "colourful theme" to the more subdued "classic theme" was removed from Office for Mac earlier this year.

It would be wonderful if this option could be restored, as myself (and I believe many other users) find this much easier on our eyes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. On Launch: Priority should always be given to the File a User requested to open

I consider this behavior to be an egregious bug. Almost an assault on your users.

Bad Scenario 1: Double click a file with an associated extension. Action opens Word, Word opens requested file then opens most n number of most recent unclosed documents.
    Bad Result 1: User is left looking at a document from a prior session that may have absolutely no current pertinence. File requested by the user is 4 windows below and has to be tracked down.

Bad Scenario 2: Double click a file with an associated extension. Action opens Word, A change to Word or exciting news…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Quotation Marks

Hello

I would love to have a switch to change the Quotation Marks.

From French Style, to the Swiss German Style and the German Style. They are all different, but I have always to change the Language to get the ones I want. So it would be cool if in the Preferences it has an option to choose which one we want.

Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Restore the option to hide the status bar and/or provide a color scheme where no elements are the terrible blue color.

I have no idea why Microsoft removed the option to hide the status bar. It can be useful if you want it, but it takes up valuable screen space. Why remove a useful option? And even worse: both color schemes mean that you have to work with a distracting blue color--for "Colorful", it is the title bar and for the ribbon, but for the "Classic" the gray status bar turns blue. For god's sake, bring back a gray-non distracting theme--at least for draft mode!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Vim bindings

Writing is really slow without the capability to perform Vim's text object operations. Still, I want to keep using Word for taking notes and writing papers because it's nicer than a .txt or .md file in Vim. Please add Vim bindings to Word!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improvement tip re Translator English to Romanian

The translation of the English verb "rethink" is consistently misspelled in Romanian. For example" We need to rethink [...]" is wrongly translated to "Trebuie să regândăm [...]" instead of "Trebuie sa regândim [...]"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. office 全系列产品,更新后,最小化窗口快捷键与段落快捷键重叠

office 全系列产品,更新后,最小化窗口快捷键与段落快捷键重叠

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Lose the 'Welcome Back' notification.

Please drop the 'Welcome Back' notification when a work in progress document is opened or, provide an option to turn it off. It is an inane annoyance. We are not children.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring back Drag and drop for images into picture placeholders!

drag and drop images onto picture placeholders has been removed from Word for Mac 2019 and now forces me to replace images with much more time consumption through navigating to locate the image I wish to now use. HUGE backward step and very very frustrating

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Having to remove the backlog of recent files in Word and Excel one at a time is very time consuming. It is also a security risk to have all

Having to remove the backlog of recent files in Word and Excel one at a time is very time consuming.
    It is also a security risk to have all your files being left for easy access. Would be good to have a way to bulk delete.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Option to DEACTIVATE Recent Documents in Word for Mac

I have Word 2016 for Mac and there is no option to completely deactivate the recent documents feature on the Mac. You can do it on a PC as it has the Options Tab. Mac doesn't have the options tab to be able to set the number of recently saved docs to 0. This is a huge security issue, especially if you share your computer or other devices with people in your home. It is not enough to simply clear the items. You should be able to have the option to permanently disable this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. microsoft user data document

When using Office on Mac, a Microsoft User Data folder is created in the ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft instead of the Document folder.

Since the folder is huge (3 Go), it make it hard to enable the iCloud drive synchronization for the Desktop and Document folder

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove author's name and entry time from Comment balloons in MS Office for Mac 2019.

MS Office for Mac 2011 enabled the removal of the author's name and entry time from Comment balloons in the margin. Regretfully, the 2019 version does not. Please restore this important feature in the 2019 version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. See w/ whom I have shared a file

When sharing a file from Word- I would like to be able to quickly see and confirm the users I have shared the file with. For instance coming back to a file later and not sure if someone has access...

Would be great to be able to click somewhere up on the right top menu and see the users (even if they aren't currently in the document)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PLEASE BRING BACK NOTEBOOK LAYOUT TEMPLATE!

This template was so convenient for taking notes during lectures, to edit later and section of topics. Even the lined paper was amazing! But now with one note there's no quick way to do that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Window menu - Separate commands from names of files

I just upgraded Word and the list of open documents in the Window menu is no longer just a list of document names - its' a mixture of document names and menu commands. This is a terrible idea. If you want to add menu commands, fine - but don't mess up my list of document names please!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When I downloaded MS Word 16.31 (11/15/19) I lost the ability to show selected text. Running Catalina 10.15.1 on Mac. Many incompatabiliti

Many incompatibilities between MS Word 16.31 and Catalina. 3 Calls to Support. Finally got MS Office/Word 16.31 removed and 16.16 installed. I can now select text, cut, paste and edit. Bugs between new MS Office and Catalina need to be fixed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When I downloaded MS Word 16.31 (11/15/19) I lost the ability to show selected text. Running Catalina 10.15.1 on Mac. Many incompatabiliti

Many incompatibilities between MS Word 16.31 and Catalina. 3 Calls to Support. Finally got MS Office/Word 16.31 removed and 16.16 installed. I can now select text, cut, paste and edit. Bugs between new MS Office and Catalina need to be fixed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search for drop cap

Word has the ability to search for Page, Section, Line, etc., but Drop Cap is not on this list. Please add this capability so we can edit or remove all drop caps throughout a document. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base