Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Add Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) for Macs

Please add the Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) to MS Word for Macs. All of my work requires Word and this toolbar saves a lot of time!

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Command Click title of document window to access the document in Finder

I would like the standard MacOS behaviour of Command Clicking on the title of the window to display the folder hierarchy, so I can access my document's location in the finder.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Word for Mac 16.31 OS Catalina cann't any file save

I cann't save any file with Word 16.31 under Catalina. Excel works. I receive always the error " {directory} cann't open wenn I tried to save a Word file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Incluir a ECO FONTE em todas as versões de word.

Considerando a constante preocupação que existe com a disponibilidade de recursos, está mais que na hora de incluirem como fonte no office, em todas as versões, a ECO FONTE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Recover password protected word documents when forgotten

Please create an option to recover password protected documents, where the person has forgotten the password and is unable to access it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Azure Citation Database/Source Manager Collaboration

More people are using tablets and word online; why is there not a citation capability in this format?

In a world where automation is more effective for productivity, formatting citation should be almost automatic, seamless. Researchers, education professionals, and students can create a database and up-vote on the format or down-vote. Additionally, you can attempt to establish a partnership with associations with this proficiency.

You can start by creating an individual cloud citation source manager database on Azure. Enable the user to filter through and categorize their resources, by the style of writing, subject, and date.

Furthermore, the citation manager…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I would like word documents to remember the state in which they were last viewed such as outline or Print View.

I would like word documents to remember the state in which they were last viewed such as outline or Print View. For example, I have one document that I always want to view in an outline format, and each time I open it, it opens in Print View. I change it to outline and the next document I open, opens in outline view and I need to change that to print view. Is there any way to resolve that?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. For multilingual documents: option to apply a different language while running spell check

When editing a long document (such as a book) with an occasional word from another language, the user has to select "Ignore", "Ignore All", or "Add". Or, before running spell check, the user has to go through the document and select each word of a different language and apply the language to it (not feasible timewise). Another strategy has been to create separate character styles for each language (again, not feasible to use in our environment, where we have maybe 50 custom styles).
    This would be handled much better with the option to apply a different language or no proofing,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Different Last Page Option in Headers and Footers

A lot of the company documents I create require different header and footer information and manually adding this to working documents, where pages are regularly added and removed, takes up too much time (this also includes images so IF commands don't cut it).

Having a "Different Last Page" tick box in the Header & Footer section the same way we have the "Different First Page" would be incredibly helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please create a simple way to disable the "Welcome back" message that appears when I re-open a Word document.

I understand that the Welcome Back message is supposed to be convenient, but I find it irritating. Please create a simple way to disable this feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. deplacer une photo sur un document word

revenir a ce qui ce faisait avant pour déplacer une photo sur un document word, c'est juste impossible maintenant, je ne comprends pas pourquoi vous avez compliqué la façon de faire. Avant il suffisait d'utiliser la souris ou les flèches, maintenant on n'a plus le choix du positionnement d'une photo. très déçu

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve Word Online

It is laggy, not updating properly, not saving changes and so on. See what Google Docs did, it works much better

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Documents on SMB server become hidden files on save

This applies to: Word for mac documents when opened across a network from an SMB share.

If the word document is large, say a few MB in size, saving the document will result in the document becoming a hidden file.

This does not happen if the document is only a few kb in size.

Because the mac system does not show hidden files, users think their word documents have been deleted. It is possible to show the document again by un-hiding it using a windows computer, however the document will become hidden again anytime a mac user opens and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Restore the "classic theme" option on Mac

It seems the option of switching from the "colourful theme" to the more subdued "classic theme" was removed from Office for Mac earlier this year.

It would be wonderful if this option could be restored, as myself (and I believe many other users) find this much easier on our eyes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. On Launch: Priority should always be given to the File a User requested to open

I consider this behavior to be an egregious bug. Almost an assault on your users.

Bad Scenario 1: Double click a file with an associated extension. Action opens Word, Word opens requested file then opens most n number of most recent unclosed documents.
    Bad Result 1: User is left looking at a document from a prior session that may have absolutely no current pertinence. File requested by the user is 4 windows below and has to be tracked down.

Bad Scenario 2: Double click a file with an associated extension. Action opens Word, A change to Word or exciting news…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Quotation Marks

Hello

I would love to have a switch to change the Quotation Marks.

From French Style, to the Swiss German Style and the German Style. They are all different, but I have always to change the Language to get the ones I want. So it would be cool if in the Preferences it has an option to choose which one we want.

Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Restore the option to hide the status bar and/or provide a color scheme where no elements are the terrible blue color.

I have no idea why Microsoft removed the option to hide the status bar. It can be useful if you want it, but it takes up valuable screen space. Why remove a useful option? And even worse: both color schemes mean that you have to work with a distracting blue color--for "Colorful", it is the title bar and for the ribbon, but for the "Classic" the gray status bar turns blue. For god's sake, bring back a gray-non distracting theme--at least for draft mode!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Vim bindings

Writing is really slow without the capability to perform Vim's text object operations. Still, I want to keep using Word for taking notes and writing papers because it's nicer than a .txt or .md file in Vim. Please add Vim bindings to Word!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base