Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Word for Mac 2011 - Bring back the ability to customize the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen.

The Status Bar for Word for Mac 2011 used to be able to be customized. It showed page width, and layout options, etc.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Trouble saving files in latest version

There have now been three occasions when I have been unable to save a new document in Word. I prevented myself from losing information the last time around by saving as a .txt file. This is a new problem. Wonder if you have heard this from others.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve Table-of-Contents feature so that it can be used with right-to-left languages

The automated Table of Contents is a fantastic feature that has been very helpful to me for recent projects. Would be wonderful if it were compatible with Arabic!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. language in footnotes

the language in footnotes keeps resetting to the language set for my keyboard (Dutch in this case), even though I need it in English (UK). At times, it even autocorrects, which is deeply frustrating.

Having looked online a bit (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/footnotes-default-to-keyboard-language-not-the/306667d9-9f70-4342-b34f-7b703e90bc09) this seems to be a problem MS must have known about, but just never fixed for some reason...

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Tab does not work for bullets and numbering. I marked a text as bullets,

WOrd 2016 for mac: The tab key does not work with bullets and numbering.
    I marked some text as bullets, then wanted to make "sub-bullets" which you usually do simply using the tab-key. now that does not work, instead the cursor moves to another part of the text. FIX THIS!!!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Is it possible for Word 2016 on Mac to have same citation features of Word for Windows?

I love my Mac and have noticed that using citations for my college papers, both during my undergrad and now working through my second graduate program, that Word doesn't allow all of the formatting for different reference styles. For example, when I use a reference to a journal article I retrieved from online campus library, I cannot put in the URL to show where it was retrieved from. I loved this on my Windows system and now I either lose points or lose productivity by having to manually add things into my "References" page. Also a minor piece is that…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. "No credentials The system requires that you sign on to a valid account."

Open Directory Accounts are now faced with "No credentials The system requires that you sign on to a valid account" when opening any Office app. This seems to be a common issue with the latest release of 365. Your engineers have told us (after about a week of going back and forth), that Open Directory users are no longer supported with Office 365, and that this issue is by design! We are an IT consultancy who build server/ client solutions for our customers on the Mac platform, and we will now be forced to suggest Office alternatives.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I am reporting a bug in the new Version 14.6.5 of MS Word will not print selected pages in "Notebook Document" only prints all pages.

I am reporting a bug in the new Version 14.6.5 of MS Word will not print selected pages in "Notebook Document" only prints all pages.

MS Developers Please fix bug!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a "Title" case option to easily reformat titles and citations in research papers and essays

Please add a "Title" case option so that I can easily reformat citations correctly. It would also be helpful for titles and headings as well in varying types of documents. "Title" case would exclude words typically not capitalized in a title such as 'a', 'an', 'the', 'of', etc.. except for the first word.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please return document inspector for blind peer reviews!

Please bring back Document Inspector. It is needed in educational settings and the academy at large both for double-blind review projects of professional papers and when students need to swap anonymous peer reviews. Thank you for your consideration.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Problems with microsoft office 2011 update function for mac

How is it possible to solve the problem above, since the update function and the help function in microsoft update doesn't work?

This is a little while after a fresh installation. Is it possible that there is a relation with some kind of problem with the files I have opened in word or excel (some were very old files from another office version (windows) and maybe some files I opened are corrupt.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Since the last update, Microsoft office in all its parts malfunctions. Word crashes repeatedly. The icons at the top misiidentify their fu

Recent updates (2016) have made Office 2011 malfunction. Word crashes and displays error messages about saving unspecified files. Excel wants to open all my files, regardless of format and constantly produces an error message about being unable to open some unidentified file because of formatting problems.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. A $60,000 Challenge to Microsoft Teams...

Yes, I challenge anyone at Microsoft to add page numbers to a Word document with, for example, unpaged front matter and different chapter headers... and to do it in under 1 hour.

Easy, right? Having worked with helpline supervisors many times in attempts to do this I finally grasp why it can eventually be "done".... but you can never, technically, understood how to do it or repeat it next time. Why?

The reason is that it entails three variables. And as Poincare showed in the context of gravity, three variable can produce technically insoluble complexity.

In the above Word "paging…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Complete Deletion of Document

I was working on a ten-paged research paper for a class, and word completely closed out my document without saving it. It is absolutely ridiculous that the program could not recover my document, and completely crashed out of the blue. I am disgustingly disappointed, and will be using Google Docs from now on.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. add pinyin on word on the version 14.6.4 will have shadows on pinyin and Chinese characters.

add pinyin on word on the version 14.6.4 will have shadows on pinyin and Chinese characters.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. In V 15.23.2 you cannot delete a "Section Break (continuous) either in Print Layout view or Outline view.

Section Breaks (Continuous) do not show in Print Layout view. Although they show in Outline view, you cannot delete them in either view. With a MS Support Technician using remote access on my Mac, we determined that the ONLY way to delete the Section Break (Continuous) was to select View > Web Layout, then click before the section break, hold down the shift key and click after the section break and hit delete. BTW, I figured it out. The technician did not. This "bug" took two hours out of my day on a very large, very complicated document. Ridiculous that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Why can't I change the year date in calender. it keeps returning to 2015.

Why can't I change the year date in calendar. It keeps returning to 2015.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add all pc features to mac version of Word

Full featured is great. But Current Mac version makes us feel like second class citizens. Offer at least most of PC features. You will sell more software! Many of the requests below come down to this. Put politics aside and serve eager users!

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Symbols and equations do not transfer from Windows to Mac!! As a math teacher, my Macbook is now obsolete!

Equations written in Office for Windows do not open or look normal now on my Word for mac 2011 14.6.3. Symbols like pi and theta appear as empty boxes. This is unacceptable.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base