Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Please add an option to select "keep text only" as a default option for pasting text into word.

There used to be a setting in the previous versions where you can decide to choose "plain text" as the default paste option. Please bring it back.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. With black text on white, text selection color is anemic orange in Word 2016. Please let me change it!!!! Until then, it's a deal-breaker.

Allow me to change the color used for selected text. Anemic orange/pink is next to indistinguishable from white background.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Transpose two selections

I would like to see a way to make two separate selections of text and then transpose them in one action. The selections could be of any length and could be contiguous or non-contiguous. Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. APA References

There are formatting errors in the APA References tool. When using the built-in APA References tool, it uses the wrong heading format, font, and spacing. According to APA standards, the heading should read "References" and be centered, using black 12 pt. New Times Roman font without being bolded. The cited references also need to be black 12 pt. New Times Roman font. Within the Reference tool, the entire text (including the heading) needs to be double spaced.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Refresh Styles Pane after creating a new style

When I'm using the Styles Pane, displaying Styles in Use, and I create a new style, it doesn't show up at first. I have to select List: In current document, then it will show up, and I can go back to Styles in Use. (I was in Print Layout view and with Show styles guides and Show direct formatting guides selected when this happened.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Select Browse Object

The Select Browse Object feature was removed from Word 2016. This is a helpful feature for quickly navigating through a Word file. See here for a description.

http://wordribbon.tips.net/T010079UsingtheObjectBrowser.html

Please restore this feature.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Markdown mode for editing Word documents.

Many times I've wished that Word had a completely trivial method of changing text, especially when formatting section/document headers, etc.

Being able to work on a document in a markdown mode and then simply apply a document style/format to that document would make life so much simpler.

Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts, but anyone that has used markdown for more than a few minutes will understand just how much simpler using back-ticks around a word or phrase like this is so much quicker than going and changing the font to a monospaced format, and that putting n number of #…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make the help search more comprehensive.

Frequently, I find the search option under the help menu to be quite useless. Here's the most recent example. I wanted to remove a hyperlink from text, so I searched "removing hyperlinks." No help. I then searched "hyperlinks." Again no help. I don't remember how I finally found that if you control click and select edit hyperlink, there is a button for removing that link.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Embedded txt files cannot be opened

I use Office 2011 and in my work I use a lot of files with embedded txt objects. When I try to open them I see "Word cannot locate the server application for object objects". The objects are ".txt" files. Is this not ridiculous? Any device I have can read txt files, and my Word on Mac cannot. Absolutely intolerable.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Moving pictures

Trying to move images in a document around text is an absolute nightmare. The pictures are bouncing around mindlessly and not going where I drop them, then they won't go back with ctrl-z and my text is formatted all wrong now, and the images are in random locations. What a mess.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. horizontal viewing pane

Please bring back horizontal viewing pane. As a copyeditor, I realize we are among the least important people in your market, but we actually use most of the features Word has to offer. Or at least used to. When you have thousands of changes in a document, bubbles and vertical panes are the least effective way to view changes.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow the compatibility of Word documents with OneNote.

I believe many would want the ability to convert notes taken in a word document over into a OneNote document. This is a feature already accessible in Word for Windows so I believe it's important for Word for Mac to offer the same feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Page Setup which only apply to specific page(s).

In current version if we want to change page orientation, it will apply to all pages, in fact we need to change only specific pages. I know this capability exist in Word Windows version.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. A medium for Citations

Under the citations tab, there is no option for medium. When your writing research paper using MLA, this is a very important category to have, medium. The citation generator is amazing, but if you don't have all the options, it is useless.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Font Substitution should be a document setting

CSS includes font fallback settings for web pages. Office files need to work the same way. Instead of setting font substitutions in the applications, they need to be set in the documents.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Word is not supporting Urdu text Please Fix

Word is not supporting Urdu text Please Fix

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Embedding PDF

Is it possible to get a function to embed entire pdf files as an icon into documents instead of only single pages at the time

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Print Function

Have the Print Function available to add to custom tabs not just the quick print.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove the rule that we must rename a .pdf or else it locks up the word document. It causes frustration and wasted time.

Remove the rule that we must rename a .pdf or else it locks up the word document you were using. This causes frustration and wasted time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base