Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Grammar checker is not working properly. It needs to be more like Grammarly. Also the APA citation is NOT APA. Need to correct the citation

Grammar issues. Loads of mistakes filter through. Grammar and spell check too limited. Also citation machine on this is way off. Not following correct citations.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. comment supprimer un modèle dans mes modèles

comment supprimer un modèle dans mes modèles

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow different languages for the Mac OS and the Office interface

For some people it would be useful to allow to have your Mac in one language and the Office interface in another. Now it's impossible to do that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. access privileges

Fix the access privileges bug. There are literally thousands of users who can't use MS Word 2016 (I'm on version 15.24) because we get the following error message when trying to open any document that's more than one folder deep: "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges." This is evidently a problem with Apple's sandboxing feature, but I don't have it with any other software.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. search within navigation bar

The navigation pane is particularly useful when dealing with documents that have a complex structure, in order to quickly navigate to the desired section. Problem is, there is no way to search within the navigation pane. The fact that the search icon activates the search in the whole document (not limited to headers) is very confusing, since there is already another place where that happens (top right corner, on the Mac version). There shouldn't be two ways to do the right thing. In order to maintain a backward compatibility with the previous releases (in terms of users' mental models) and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. reinstate footnote continuation separator

I think it's nonsensical that I have to utilize an old file format to retain the footnote continuation separator. I only use Word because it can adequately handle the (only slightly) advanced formatting I have to do for my PhD papers and dissertation. Recent updates to Word have brilliantly eliminated all the ridiculous workarounds needed for academic papers (which I love)...except the footnote continuation separator was discarded. To get it in Word, I have to utilize a .doc format in which I will have to do a bunch of ridiculous workarounds for other formatting requirements. I would prefer to stick…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bring back auto-correct functionality in context-menu please

Office 2011 for Mac Word and earlier versions of Office for Windows had an 'autocorrect this word always to ...'-function in the context-menu. I find this feature essential for all good text editing software. But in the Office 2016 version it is gone! Why on earth? The contextual autocorrect-functionallity makes working with a text editor so much more comfortable when one can quickly add the automatic correction of a word e.g. with diacritical symbols like (in French): crème brûlée. Before you just had to right-click, go to auto-correct and click on the correct spelling of the word and in the…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Word 2015 has removed the ability to customize the formatting toolbar.

The ability to customize a toolbar has been removed from Word 2015. This is a huge loss. It is vitally necessary to use the function to "go to next section" and "go to previous section" in writing a book. These functions are now no longer available. Word 2011 is thus far preferable to Word 2015. Word 2015 is less functional than 2011.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add to Mac Developer Tab

I would like the developer tab to have all the functions in Mac Word as it does in Windows Word. That would include date dropdown, picture insert box, etc.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add the drawing canvas feature please!! Also, improve shape tool

Add the drawing canvas from the Windows version of Word to the Mac! Also, make it so my cursor can keep drawing new shapes without having to go back up to the shape menu and selecting the shape every time I want to make a new one...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. More highlighter colors (that leave the text readable - orange, bright pink, bright red

Whose dumb idea was it to make three quarters of the highlighting options unreadable dark colors? Wheres the neon orange/pink/red?

Why is there a black highlighting option, if you need to redact something, you're not a lay person and you sure as hell shouldn't be doing this on Office Word.

Do you know anyone who highlights in dark red highlighter Microsoft?

The shading option would be okay if I had a spare kidney to sell for the money I'd need to spend on colored cartridges.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Track changes -only comments as bubbles

track changes -allow for only comments to be shown as bubbles, and all other changes in the text

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please bring back the Clipboard Feature for Office 2016 for Mac especially for Word

Using the Clipboard feature would benefit many Word users when we need to paste different words repeatedly in a document. Without this feature can be a hassle or daunting when I have to create same lesson plans for 2 different classes.

224 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Missing Arrange Window Feature in Mac 2016

I absolutely need ability to arrange document windows vertical side to side.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Date Picker

Please make this function, as well as other window functions available on MACs.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. speech read back of documents

With in the Mac/Apple environment we can 'read' a document back using 'speech' mode in many applications. This is particularly useful for sight impaired persons who might tire reading long documents. I find it odd that Microsoft Word does not permit this to occur for disability accessibility.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. autocorrect needs to add fractions automaticaly all of them. i use them and added them but font is set and will not allow to use my choice

more fractions added to autocorrect by word or allow to use font of document we want not the one set in symbols. please

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Proofing tools for Office (2016) for Mac

With reference to http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d9196232-2aff-40a2-a4ea-ca6241932395:

Apparently, proofing tools for Office for Mac are not available. I am Office 365 business customer and it comes a complete surprise that I can't proof my documents in Slovenian language on Mac -- but I am able to do so in Office Onlne and in Windows.

Additionally, there are language packs available for windows versions but not for mac versions. Why?!

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. It's complete idiocy to make the scroll control on the right side of pages disappear unless you move the cursor particular ways!!!!

Suggestion: a) Whoever had this design "improvement" idea should be fired. b) Maybe you all should consider that we don't actually need a new version every year or two that makes our computers run slower and that we have to relearn, that your work and pay is more wasteful than direct welfare paid to honest people without work and that all the Microsoft make-work is part of the waste that will disappear when the extremely wasteful aspects of capitalism are finally laid to rest for good either via evolution or planetary destruction.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. signature

Enable the digital signature feature in Word for Mac like it can be done in Word for Windows

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base