Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Mac

Welcome to the Word for Mac feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Mac version is missing Apply Styles dialog box from Windows version

Word for Windows has an "Apply Styles" dialog box with "Autocomplete style names" checkbox. This would be VERY helpful on the Mac version, so that we can apply styles by typing with autocomplete.

Please add this feature to the Mac version!

For details on how it works in Windows, see: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/word-2013-styles-in-depth/applying-styles-using-the-apply-styles-dialog-box

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Word locking up and attempting to connect to network drive from Recent Items list

Word (or Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is locking up and then producing an error stating it is attempting to connect to a previously used network location in the Recent Items list, when opening the application when off the network. This renders the application useless, and after acknowledging the error, the application must be force quit.

To reproduce:

- Open Word documents from a network share, work on it, close the document and application

- Take the computer off the network (i.e. - Take it home), open Word. Word will then lock up for about 3 minutes and then produce an error…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Word: Fix freezing issues when selecting text in Catalina

Since updating to Catalina, Word freezes whenever I select text—even just a few words. I have to manually backspace if I want to delete something and it takes forever if I have a lot of text to delete. If I forget and select text, it freezes for a good few seconds. Sometimes I have to force quit.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Word for Mac 2008 crashes in Mojave when asked to print. How is that progress, and what can I do about it?

Word for Mac 2008 crashes in Mojave when asked to print. How is that progress, and what can I do about it?

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. After updating to Mojave 10.14.5, Word for Mac does not retain Window Size when closed and re-opened.

After updating to Mojave 10.14.5, Word for Mac does not retain Window Size when closed and re-opened.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. In the advance Find and Replace re-instate Cmd-F for Find Next, Cmd-R for Replace, and Cmd-A for Replace All

Removing the capability in the upgrade from 11 to 16 is a a retrograde step to productivity, plus excessive use of the mouse, now required, leads to RSI

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. In the advance Find and Replace re-instate font changes in the text boxes via Ctl-I, Ctl-B and Ctl-U

In Word 2011 in the advance find and replace box the font of the word to be searched for and replaced by can be changed by the standard key strokes of Ctl-I etc.

This was removed in Word 2016, a retrograde step for professional editors

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Building Block Content Control Support

Most Content Controls are supported in Word for Mac, with the exception of Building Block controls. Word for Mac has AutoText and the Building Block control accepts AutoText as a content type, so there's no evident reason why this doesn't work. Please add support for this.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I just spent two and a half hours trying to find "view side by side" on my mac. I need it for my my work. enough said....

ADD "VIEW SIDE BY SIDE" TO THE MAC VERSION OF WORD!! I just spent two and a half hours trying to find it. I need the function in order to do my job. What's the deal?????

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please update Word for Mac with the option to Disable the Recent Documents list

I connect to a windows server via smb at work, and when I access word docs stored on that server they are added to my "Recents List." Then, when I open the word app later and when not connected to the office server, the word app tries to auto load all my recent documents, some of which it cannot access because they are stored at the office server locally. This caused my Mac to auto attempt to connect to my smb server, and when it can't because I'm no longer there, the word app crashes.
    Also, when I open the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow to check two languages at once. Not only english but also Latin

Allow to check two languages at once. Not only english but also Latin

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Auto-Complete When Sharing on Mac

Sharing Word Docs on a Mac should be the same experience as on a Windows machine. Currently, Mac sharing requires you to put a name or email but does not auto-complete to show a dropdown list of users from your organization. Typing a persons name or email should bring this list up as it does in Windows Word, as well as Outlook.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Restore Session / Re-open Documents from Last Session on App Launch

Similar to a browser "reopening tabs from last session" it would be extremely helpful to have word automatically re-open any documents that were being edited when it was last quit. Older versions of Word could do this and the native Apple apps like Preview (for all its many other issues) typically do as well. This is a badly missed feature in my workflow and is something that I know a lot of people at work miss dearly. We still have one Word 2008 holdout as a result. (A security issue at this point I think). Thank you.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Increase the file size limit for exporting to electronic PDF in Word.

Currently, it seems the latest version of Word supports a maximum file size of 40MB when exporting electronic PDFs. This appears to be an arbitrary limitation, as the error message states: "This version of Word can't be exported to this type of file because the file is too large. Generally, a file that is larger than 40 MB is too big to export".

I don't remember this being an issue before PDF conversion went to the cloud. It would be extremely helpful to be able to convert big files — I'm currently having issues with finalising my mixed-media PhD thesis.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 希望设计的与win版本的office 更加的一致,更加扁平化一些,祝越来越好

希望设计的与win版本的office 更加的一致,更加扁平化一些,祝越来越好

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Word for Mac Default Opening Format

Every New Document I open in Word opens in a format whose margins far exceed the page I'm working on. Thus I mush manually shrink the useless open space to each side of the working Word page every time I open a document and it is tiring. Allow users to have a standard size document they work with and set that size as the default size for all new documents. Support for Word for Mac told me today that no such command exists now, but it should. Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) for Macs

Please add the Mini Toolbar (Floating Toolbar) to MS Word for Macs. All of my work requires Word and this toolbar saves a lot of time!

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I would like word documents to remember the state in which they were last viewed such as outline or Print View.

I would like word documents to remember the state in which they were last viewed such as outline or Print View. For example, I have one document that I always want to view in an outline format, and each time I open it, it opens in Print View. I change it to outline and the next document I open, opens in outline view and I need to change that to print view. Is there any way to resolve that?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. For multilingual documents: option to apply a different language while running spell check

When editing a long document (such as a book) with an occasional word from another language, the user has to select "Ignore", "Ignore All", or "Add". Or, before running spell check, the user has to go through the document and select each word of a different language and apply the language to it (not feasible timewise). Another strategy has been to create separate character styles for each language (again, not feasible to use in our environment, where we have maybe 50 custom styles).
    This would be handled much better with the option to apply a different language or no proofing,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Different Last Page Option in Headers and Footers

A lot of the company documents I create require different header and footer information and manually adding this to working documents, where pages are regularly added and removed, takes up too much time (this also includes images so IF commands don't cut it).

Having a "Different Last Page" tick box in the Header & Footer section the same way we have the "Different First Page" would be incredibly helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 124 125
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base