Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Enable mail merge of Excel data saved on OneDrive.

Make it so I can use Excel data on OneDrive in a Word document.

I can collaborate in real time on Excel and Word documents stored on OneDrive. I can see changes as they are being made. Very advanced. But, I cannot use the data in the Excel document saved on OneDrive to mail merge to a Word document because and I quote from Microsoft's community support page, "It is not feasible to use Mail Merge with files stored on OneDrive."

Believe it or not you cannot use one MS program to create data and save that data on a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Quick Access Toolbar Icons

I have been putting off moving from Office 2010 to 365 or 2019 because of this issue.

In Word and Excel I have extensive QAC entries saved in exported files. In my trial of 365, the icons are too large and lacking color, which makes them hard to read/find, and puts too many on a second level that goes away when focus shifts back to the document.

Until this is fixed, I will stay with Office 2010, even though is will no longer be supported soon.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. international shortcuts option

Please make an global option to set Keyboard-Shortcuts to "International" = US-English. So you can use these keyboard shortcuts no matter which language version you are working on.
    Same for Excel including Formulas!!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Require option to remain signed out of Office account without having to reactivate it everytime I wish to use the full functionality.

Require option to remain signed out of Office account without having to reactivate it everytime I wish to use the full functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ribbon - Should be able to change the look and feel of the ribbon buttons. Give users the option.

Ribbon - Should be able to change the look and feel of the ribbon buttons in O365. Give users the option change the icon /picture on the buttons.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Toggle ability to see who has a document open (Co-authoring) (Focus Assist)

Whilst Document Co-authoring is a fantastic tool, it can in some cases be a cause for distraction and inability to focus when you see that others are either constantly in a document that you need to focus on or jumping in and out of it.

Therefore it would be great if I as a user could have a toggle option allowing me to decide to show whether or not another user is in the document to allow those that may feel that this can be distracting to go into a better focus mode without feeling distracted or over-watched

This thread…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option to fix 'Set as default Text Box' to work across documents instead of only on the specific document you are on.

Using the 'Set as default text box' or 'set as default shape' rarely works, and it does not work across documents. Only sometimes on the document you set it on. This would save so much time so please consider it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. why am I forced to autosave on the cloud on word 2016?

"AutoReovery" doesn't word and saves nothing, while I am VERY not interested in saving my files in the cloud. it's slow, its internet-dependent and is very troublesome. I have just upgraded from office 2013 and totally regret it!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make the integration of titles as PDF bookmarks the default option when exporting PDF

A lot of PDFs out there are created using Word and most people seem to ignore PDF bookmarks exist. Hence a lot of PDFs are lacking the bookmarks that would make them more navigatable. There is no drawback to creating bookmarks, if people don't want to use them they can just ignore them. There is however a drawback to not including them by default, which is that most PDFs created in the world are now lacking them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When you create a new document, you should be automatically prompted to save your doucment so you don't lose your work!

When you start working on a new document in Word, I think it would be a great idea to make Word ask you where to save it first, so then you won't lose your work and if you save it to OneDrive, it will AutoSave all the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Better dictionaries with more words in it.

I think that Word needs to improve on its dictionaries, especially foreign languages that isn't used worldwide. Most of the words I often use in my native language isn't considered correct, even when I have tried using the correct dictionary.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Adding Engineering Dictionary to Word

I suggest Microsoft word to include an engineering dictionary to recognize all the engineering terms instead of putting red line under it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Reinstalling Office With The Same Key

Allow Office To be reinstalled on another device with the same product key while kicking off the old device. This way if you have a 1 device license like me and you need to reset windows, you can without losing a £80 product.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Is it possible to add a section on formatting the entire document for the writing styles such as APA, MLA for students

Is it possible to add a section on formatting the entire document for the writing styles such as APA, MLA for students

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Pls include Harvard (Australian) style of referencing

Pls include Harvard (Australian) style of referencing in MS Word, so that it helps students studying in Australia

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ring when someones not on teams or not on there dives

let the phone ring when there not on teams

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make available latex style, tables and math symbols to Word

I prefer using Word over Latex. However, Latex style currently has much more prestige for publishing research in some academic journals and fields of study. Many students and researchers feel pressured to switch to a Latex editor by their colleagues, supervisors, etc. There is a rumor within academia that Latex written papers have a higher acceptance rate in journals than Word written papers.

Most of my colleagues still work with MS Word. And I hope I do not need to learn Latex. It just seems to be too much effort all the time to research for packages and functionalities. It's…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Word application

I having issues with Word not responding. Its crashing after being opened

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)