Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Viewer Mode as User GPO not only Computer GPO

Hello MS Team,

you offer this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-viewer-mode

Office 365 is a "User" Based License, not a Client License. So, in an Environment, where you have, for example 100 Clients and 120 employees, while 80 have a E3 license, you want to install Office 365 to any of this 100 Clients and add any User to a AD Group, that do NOT have a valid Office License, add the "Office Viewer GPO" to this AD Group, so if that User will logon to a client, Office 365 will be in Viewer Mode for THIS User. When a User with a valid…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. please add MLA 8th edition to Microsoft word

please add MLA 8th edition to Microsoft word

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Give me the option to allow "upgrades" in Word. STOP changing what I have figured out. stop 'fixing' what is not broken. STOP CHANGING WORD.

You change WORD WITH "UPGRADES' WHICH ARE DOWNGRADES. And, I have no choice but to give up a working process for the loss of tools. STOP IT. STOP IT, *******. STOP.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Avar spelling dictionary

Let's create a spelling dictionary in Avar language that would be available for download from Microsoft's official resources.

19,177 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

387 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 7th edition for APA

It would be great if Microsoft Word had an update in the references tab for the new APA 7th edition. I use the references and bibliography in my college classes and it's very useful but needs updating to the new 7th edition. This is a feature that i would love to see in the future.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Offline Exchange EDB files to Outlook PST fille

You can easily convert online and offline Exchange EDB files to Outlook PST file format, you can download Vartika EDB to PST converter tool. It is the most recommended tool which can save EDB data into multiple formats like PST, EML, HTML, MBOX and MSG. This tool automatically searches for EDB files in the system drive location, so the user can easily select the files for conversion. The tool is compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
    Get more info: -- https://www.vartikasoftware.com/product/vs-edb-to-pst-converter-software.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. edit the pronunciation in the Read Aloud feature.

Please add editing capacity to the Read Aloud feature. I am so tired of hearing that the road "winds" (like moving air) through the mountains, or that McKerricher is pronounced like "cheese."

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to disable Online Search features

The word should offer the ability to disable the ability to search for online content, be that web references or images, via the right-click search option.

As a parent, I allow my child to use Word to compose essays and papers but there should be an option to allow parents to prevent children from using Word to circumvent Family Safety settings or as a shortcut to adding references to their essays.

It has already been attempted to disable these features via the HKEYCURRENTUSER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Internet registry without success.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bold Whole Word Where Cursor Is

In prior versions of Word, if you hit CTRL+B, the whole word was bolded. Now, you must use the mouse to highlight the word first. The old way was faster and easier.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. In prior versions of Word, if you hit CTRL+B, the whole word was bolded. Now, you must use the mouse to highlight the word first.

In prior versions of Word, if you hit CTRL+B, the whole word was bolded. Now, you must use the mouse to highlight the word first.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix editing of embedded Excel workbook objects with multiple monitor scaling

I use a lot of Word documents with embedded Excel workbook objects. When using systems with multiple monitors, editing of embedded worksheets breaks if the monitors have different scaling.

For example if I am using a laptop with an external monitor and try to edit an embedded Excel object, the workbook will open in a separate Excel window instead of within the Word document. As a result, there is no way to change the range of cells that are displayed in Word. This only occurs if the scaling on the two monitors is different.

The workarounds are to either disconnect…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow enabling of Track Changes of entire folders

I have hundreds of documents (Word and Excel) that I would like to enable Track Changes on. Currently it can only be done one file at a time (open file, enable Track Changes, close file). Would be great if I could apply this to multiple files or entire folders at once.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add flexibility and more customization when changing colours (under Design Tab) and the facility to add labels

A few ideas with this one after customising a document for a client. I would like to see more flexibility to alter the colours in the Design tab.

Idea 1: Enable more accent colours to be added - 6 is limiting and my client wanted 8 colours in their document for example - I managed to do this but the colour palette should have been customisable to make this easier.

Idea 2: Enable more Text and Background colours to be added - 4 is too limiting and it would be great if the number could be determined by the user

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Show Dictate tool when a user searches "speech to text" i search bar

I recommend showing the Dictate tool inside of Microsoft Word when a user enters "speech to text" into the search bar inside of Microsoft Word ( located top center of desktop application).

This is a little embarrassing, but as a native english speaker, I didn't know that "dictate" could mean "read aloud" until now (at age 22). I just think "speech to text" is a pretty popular term and a lot of people could miss out of this feature because the Dictate tool doesn't show up when "speech to text" is entered into the search bar inside of Word.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Option to choose Sender Email Address for Mail Merge

When completing a mail merge and selecting the option to send email messages, there should be an option under message options to select which email address you want to send from.

A lot of users like myself have multiple email accounts linked to Outlook, so it would be helpful to be able to send the email messages from the correct email account.

75 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Microsoft Dynamics Navision

Microsoft Dynamics Navision. is an ERP solution developed by Microsoft for small and mid-market companies (SMEs). The solution offers product functionality covering financial management, supply chain management, manufacturing, project management, and service management. Dynamics NAV Microsoft is the former name of Dynamics 365 Business Central.

https://www.nevastech.com/solutions/microsoft-dynamics-erp/microsoft-dynamics-nav/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow users to restore the old format for comments in Word

The new format for comments in Word is not user friendly. I have spent the whole morning with Microsoft Support trying to restore my older version of Microsoft 365 but it was unsuccessful. The new format for "modern comments" is not ready for roll-out and should be halted until more work is done on it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. create temporary shortcut(certain command) to paste common word during writting

hi, i have suggestion in MS word, it would be helpful and time effective especially during typing (writing) documents for those common or repetitive group of words, for the writer to have an option on creating a temporary command or shortcut which can be able to paste certain group of word without retyping it over and over again or without highlight it and paste to a place he wants to write it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Custom Combination of Styling Option

In word we can use different styling for different word. Now let's say one styling combination is: 1st - Font: Calibri light, Bold, Color: red, Size: 14 for 2nd combination it may be 2nd - Font: Arial, Italic, Color: Black, Size: 11. Now if we have to use this combination in several different places then we have to click on all these 4 buttons again and again. So if we can create one option say comb1 if we
    Click on it all 4 combinations will apply to the text. It will reduce our time drastically. Currently, I am facing this…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base