Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Allow to attach images on Word UserVoice

Please allow to attach images on Word UserVoice. Excel UserVoice has this possibility enabled. Including and referring figures often helps to explain the issue/bug/feature at hand better.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make comment balloons more distinct visually by applying one color per editor and a border

For those of us that review, edit and comment upon documents, it would be better if we could more easily distinguish who is the author of the comments. Please color-code each user so that you can quickly see a particular person's comments. Also, put the comment balloons or bubbles in an outline so that you can distinguish one comment from another. This might sound familiar to those who have used Word 2010, because it had this wonderful and useful feature.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. SectionPage field in addition to SectionPages field

Word has the Page field, the NumPages field, and the SectionPages field. It would be handy to have a corresponding SectionPage field that would give the page number in the section.

Right now this needs to be handled by restarting page numbering (which messes up the TOC and Index) or using equation fields to calculate page numbers.

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fields.htm#Pagination
    http://gregmaxey.com/wordtippages/page_numbering.html

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it possible to keep zoom percentages different between documents again.

In Word 2010, the zoom percentage set on any document would stay the same whenever you came back to it. However, in Word 365, the zoom percentage carries over all documents. Why was this changed? I would like not to have to keep changing the zoom percentage when I write on different documents, especially ones on different paper sizes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Word replacement in thesaurus

Please could there be an option of directly inserting the 'primary' word when using the thesaurus. Currently there is only the option to insert a 'secondary' word listed underneath the 'primary' word. If a word is selected (to become the 'primary' word) to check it is suitable, the option then to insert it is not available. It has to either be copied and pasted or the user has to click the back arrow to go to the list where it is a 'secondary' word and insert from there.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. How about you test your changes before you update?

Instead of trying to force new meaningless features - and in the process making your product non-functional - you actually test things first?

"The file you are merging into is currently in use. Please try again later." Currently unable to save my work... Ready for refund.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Revert back to older (~2020) version of right-click spell checker and add a button in ribbon

This new version requires clicking 3 times before you can get to the full menu. I want to there in 1 click, like before.
    Also, it would be helpful to have a button which essentially right clicks wherever the flashing cursor is - then we wouldn't have to click at all, just some "Alt +" shortcut and we're there.

Word doesn't recognise a lot of words because I work with 4 languages and also use phonetic spellings amongst other things

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Chechen spelling dictionary

It would be great to have Chechen spelling dictionary available for download from Microsoft official resources.

15,843 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3013 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove Microsoft feedback emojis from Mictrosoft 365

Mandatory feedback emojis that appear each time MS Office, Excel and PowerPoint are opened are a childish distraction, annoying, and an intrusion by Microsoft. Remove them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Word's grammar correction prompts are often incorrect

I have nothing but praise for Microsoft generally. But the grammar correction prompts are often faulty.
    ‘The Clintons’ does not require an apostrophe between the ‘n’ and the ‘s’.
    The Oxford or Harvard comma is optional e.g. as after ‘car’ in , “the dog, the car, and the horse”.
    Failure to recognise that ‘the’ is sometimes capitalised e.g. ‘The UK’ in the title of a country, film or book
    Misunderstanding of the role of the semi colon. It is followed by an amplification.
    Failure to understand about the future conditional e.g. “if Peter tuned his instrument properly, it would sound…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to Reveal Codes (to prevent styles from controlling the user)

My profession is forcing me to switch from WordPerfect to Word. While I am currently an attorney and word processing hours each day, my previous profession and background is in medical software efficiency management. The focus in that discipline is to make users efficient while eliminating the possibility of errors (which obviously lead to do-overs that make the user less efficient). It is very frustrating using Word because the inability to view, locate, and address imbedded codes used in styles leads to the product being far less efficient than it could be.

Having to learn numerous software products, and switching…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. @mentions for guest users

We have recently begun sharing Word (and Excel) files via Teams. We share internally and externally (with guest users in the latter case). @mentions of guest users are not supported. It’d be great if they were!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Enable a method to lengthen the time the dictate button times out in MS Word.

My thought process is interrupted by the short time out (5 seconds?) of the Dictate button as I’m trying to collect my thoughts. Interrupts the creative thinking process to have to be constantly reselecting the Dictate button. I would rather have it on continuously than turn off so quickly. Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Automate filling in the title metadata for accessibility

When converting a Word to PDF, one of the last tasks to do is provide the title metadata for the PDF. In PowerPoint, it grabs the title off of the first slide. Why not do something similar via use o the Title style?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Function to only show/hide parts of a Word document for specified users

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    Microsoft Word 内の文章の一部を特定ユーザーのみ表示・非表示させる機能について
    Function to only show/hide parts of a Word document for specified users

■Description(内容):
    全体公開したい同一の Word ファイルの文書の中で、一段落目はグループ A、B が閲覧可能であるが、二段落目はグループ A が閲覧可能でグループ B は閲覧不可など、特定ユーザーに対して一部分だけを表示または非表示にさせる機能の拡張を要望いたします。

Within a Word file shared with everyone, I want to be able to, for example, make it so the first paragraph can be seen by groups A and B, but the second paragraph can only be seen by group A, and is hidden from group B. Please make it possible to make parts of a Word file be visible/hidden for specified users.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. MAAKT GESCHIEDENIS NIET ZO KUT

JA LEES DE TITEL JIJ TERING MONGOL

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. No More Title Case in Change Case

Why did you get rid of "Title Case" as an option under "Change Case"? I find myself needing to use that more than any other option and Word obviously knows how to do Title case because it tells you when you get it wrong.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please add more - and more subtle - options to the colors available for highlighting.

The existing highlighting colors are either extremely bright (and ******* the eyes), or dark enough so that they obscure the text, or both. This is a constant source of frustration to me. If you either replaced the dark colors with pastel shades that are gentle on the eyes (not neon colors) or just add about 5 such colors to the options, it would be a huge improvement. The colors that are used in Excel to highlight cells would be great, for example.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow blank borders to be saved on normal.dotm for word

Allow blank borders to be saved on normal.dotm for word

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)