Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Lorsque je crée un Modèle de Documents file.dotm, il est sauvegardé dans Documents > Modèles Office Personnalisés mais si je veux associer u

Lorsque je crée un Modèle de Documents file.dotm, il est sauvegardé dans Documents > Modèles Office Personnalisés mais si je veux associer un modèle de document file.dotm à un autre fichier *.docx, je dois aller le chercher à cet endroit Option > Compléments > Modèles > Attacher et je constate que ce modèle de document ne se trouve pas dans le dossier Modèles Office Personnalisés mais dans ce dossier C:\Users\pc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Boissy.dotm ? Donc pour attacher une feuille de style à un fichier, je dois la sauvegarder dans >Templates et non dans Documents > Modèles Office Personnalisés !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Why has autosave been removed from Office Home Edition 2016

Put Autosave feature back on Office Home editions. Autosave used to be on ALL the older Office versions back in the reliable days when Windows XP was current, (if only we could go back in time!!!) Now you're forced to buy Office 365.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow saving word documents to desktop

Allow word documents to be saved to desktop. It seems to be impossible as of today!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. AutoSave for non-OneDrive files

Allow AutoSave on files not uploaded to OneDrive.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Before I was able to make a selection in my Word document and spellcheck only that selection. Please bring back.

Before I was able to make a selection in my Word document and spellcheck only that selection. No longer able to. So now I write a jibberish word below the section I want to spellcheck so I won't lose my place. Please bring back section spellcheck.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I need to scan photos and documents into a Word Document from an external scanner. Wordperfect has this ability. Word needs it too. Help!

Currently I need to scan photos & documents into Corel Wordperfect from an external scanner, then copy and paste into the Word document. Word needs this feature as well to save time doing double duty with two programs. How about making that possible? I use Word from Office 365.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Don't change Tabs to Indents

It's really annoying when I want to use Tab to create a first line indent, because word assumes it knows what I want, but if it's indented you can't get to the spot to the left of the tab. So stupid. Just let me use Tab like I always have and stop messing with me plz.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Hello: It would be efficient, if when typing a document, if I were able to keep the copy and paste box open. Now in Word 2016, in order to c

Hello:
    It would be efficient, if when typing a document, if I were able to keep the copy and paste box open. Now in Word 2016, in order to copy and paste, I have to close the search and replace box. Could this described efficient feature be programmed into Word processing?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Quick access to caption cross-references

I tipically write documents containing several tens of figures and tables, hence I have to create a huge number of captions and insert their relevant cross references. It takes too many clicks to do it, and if you multiply it for one or even two hundreds, it means a lot of wasted minutes.
    My suggestion is the following: After copying my figure's capture, rightclicking in the document, the pop up window allows to paste the cross reference of that caption. In addition, rightclicking the cross reference, it allows to change it as “Only label and number”, “Entire Caption” or whateverelse.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. you could delete microsoft

destroy microsoft

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Keep ' 'remove hyperlink' option active in 'select all' condition

When I select text with multiple hyperlinks 'remove hyperlink' gets inactive; To remove multiple hyperlinks in one go. provide this option when I select all text on 'right mouse click' I should be able to use 'remove hyperlinks' option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Update to MLA 8th edition

In Microsoft Word the MLA style is the 7th edition, but quite a while ago, the Modern Language Association released the MLA 8th edition. The 7th edition is unacceptable for standard essays and papers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I have automatic updates and being on a meteredI have connection it would be nice to see the size of the download(s) before excepting.

I have automatic updates for Office apps, being on a metered connection it would be nice to see the size of the download(s) before excepting.
    When updates come through WU they show the size of the update(s), this way I can choose to download or not based on my existing bandwidth. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please Insert "Word Art" & "Change Shape"

Need "Word Art" and "Change Shape" option Which I found in MS Office 2007. It's Badly need.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Restore the old colorful icons

Restore the old colorful icons
    Recently all my Office command icons changed style. For example, in Word, I have both the Save and Save As icons on my Quick Access Toolbar. The old icons were both colorful; only the new Save icon has fill. Throughout the ribbons and QAT, more of the old icons have colorful fills, whereas the new icons are mostly lines without any fills, and those that have fills are monochromatic. The multiple colors and fills make it much easier to spot which command I'm looking for on my customized QATs, which are filled to capacity. My…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Settings for plurals in grammar check

This might be a bit niche, but what I would like is to be able to add settings to the plural noun grammar check. eg I have a long report with hundreds of entries such as " the 500123 Widget was updated, and the 500999 Black Box was deleted" etc ie where 500123 is a part number rather than a quantity. Grammar check currently treats the number as a quantity and so thinks the noun should be plural. I could turn the setting off, but then it might miss some genuine examples.
    It would be good to have settings. Eg…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. more updates and faster and emojis

ment to do a emoji [mad emoji]

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Restore the ability of the MacroButton Field to use an image as the button.

In Doc format, the Macrobutton field allowed the use of an image as the button. This no longer works in .docx format documents.

See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fields.htm#Different_behavior.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Word should reopen the set of windows I have open, when I close it

I often work on a set of documents. I would like to be able to automatically open the same set of windows in the same positions with all documents at the positions where I last edited them.Exactly the same function is available in Outlook when you close a set of windows - great help there.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base