Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. reduce ribbon size

As business laptops displays are mostly 14" 16:9 format which has so little vertical space it is good to reduce the Ribbon size in vertical. For example the name of the section like "Clipboard", "Font", "Paragraph", etc is useless and it takes some vertical space. Also there is space to fit the ruler in the bottom status bar. Maybe there is some other methods for reducing the vertical size and I think it is essential to have it as smaller as possible for more comfortable use in laptop computers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back color icons (used before the July 2019 update) for Word, Excel and Outlook

PLEASE let users revert to the nice, color icons (used before the July 2019 update)!!! I use Office on both my Surface Pro4 and my desktop PC. The B&W kindergarten-style stick figure icons are awful for the following reasons: 1) Harder to read. 2) Take up more space on my screen. Color Icons are visual and allow users to quickly pick the feature they need.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Inserting Excel files as objects into Word document

I have Windows 10 Pro and 2016 versions of Word and Excel at my office. When inserting an object into Word by creating it from a file (Excel spreadsheet), I can no longer size the window around the Excel spreadsheet to show exactly what I want. Word randomly pulls in too much of the Excel file and then no longer allows you to adjust or correct that window. When I had a computer that had Windows 7 Professional and 2007 versions of Word and Excel, I could do all of the things I needed to do to the pulled-in spreadsheet.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Syllabification software for Albanian language

Dear Microsoft provider,
    I am an Albanian user of MS Office 2016 (student package). Since there isn't a syllabification module of MS Office for my language, it makes difficult for us to balance manually lines in a document (paper or book). So, I am thinking of the possibility of collaboration with a team of yours. I'm a linguist trained in Phonetics and author of an orthographic dictionary of Albanian with syllabification. I know the main rules that must be applied for my language, which are different form orthographic syllabification rules of English or of any other European language.
    Kind regards.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Improve Document recovery

Improve Document recovery. When closing Word I got a message "do you want to delete unsaved documents?", but document recovery folder hard to find & empty

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Close & Save All

Add a Close and Save All feature to Word. I normally have several Word docs open simultaneously and often would like to close / save all with one mouse click but I must tediously close & save each. Help! I've been using Word since its very early versions in the late 80s...

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Spell check should tell you when you have used the same word twice in a row

Spell check should tell you when you have used the same word twice in a row.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make Word Better at Formatting MathML Copied from web pages

Simple MathML math expressions copy well into MS Word but more complicated multi-level expressions or extended equations often end up with extra characters in Word that are not visible in the original expression on a web page. It would be great to make the copying of MathML from web pages cleaner and easier.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Mass enlarge and shrink function

Could you please add a select all function for pictures where it allows the user to enlarge or shrink all pictures selected

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. accessibility of mathematics when converting to PDF

when doing a "save as PDF" convert each mathematical formula to an image with the alt text set to the UIA value.value of the formula. This would keep the formatting of the formula consistence, allow viewers of the PDF to hover over the equation to get the correct pronunciation.
    and finally, accessibility readers can then have easier access to the correct pronunciation of the mathematics.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. smart lookup options

Smart lookup needs to have the option to default to definitions, based on whatever dictionary you want to use. Most often when I'm using Word, I want to make sure that I am using the 'correct word'. I don't need links to wiki pages or other sites. I have browsers for that.

And without the ability to cite directly from a site, having "internet search" features in Word is pretty useless. Plus it just launches my browser anyway. It would be better to get the definition, synonyms, antonyms, etc. first, then the links as needed.

In addition, the pane, is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Mini Toolbar: restore user-controlled access

In Word 365, when I highlight text, the Mini Toolbar automatically appears and blocks surrounding text. In Word 2010, if I highlighted text and moved the cursor up and slightly to the right, the Mini Toolbar appeared. Thus, I could access the Mini Toolbar if I needed it or proceed without it interrupting my work. In Word 365, I have to turn off the Mini Toolbar altogether. Restore the more functional access.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Consecutive page numbering

Make consecutive page numbering easier in the header. The way it is now, it does not work. One has to search another menu to eventually get it to work, especially for book length projects involving chapters. Too many workarounds, quite primitive for Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Color Highlight in Read Aloud.

In the Read Aloud tab, there should be a color selection for the highlighted text when the Word is reading the text back to you. With only the light grey, it is difficult to make eye contact with the text during the reading. Please add a color text selection. I'm sure that there are many different color schemes that people use on their computer and by selecting a different highlighted color will make it better for people to adjust to their color scheme. Thanks for letting make this suggestion. Sincerely Michael

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Shading with two options visible to toggle between two colours rather than clicking the shade button to select another colour.

Shading with two options visible to toggle between two colours rather than clicking the shade button to select another colour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Math type needs the symbol for "perpendicular": an upside down T

Math type needs the symbol for "perpendicular": an upside down T

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. raise read aloud voice in front of an exclamation mark to inflect emotion

Raise read aloud voice in front of an exclamation mark to inflect emotion. Also work on pronouncing sounds, such as Mmm, instead of spelling them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. "Sequential transcription"

We all know that to copy specific text into a computer we often do ctrl + c! I am here today I would like to suggest an idea or a solution to a problem you may have encountered a lot of customers!
    Imagine with me that there is a word file in which a particular topic and you liked that topic and you want to take some sentences or paragraphs and paste it in a new Word file of your own! You found a sentence on page 1 and a paragraph on page 10 and some phrases on page 35…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base