Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Collapse Headings Needs an Option to Disable!

Developers really did miss the mark here. I use this program for work and find it especially annoying how it collapses the heading, makes me think there is no text following the heading. Very un user friendly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. STOP INSERTING ROWS IN MY TABLE. WHO _THE_FUCK DO YOU PIECES OF **** THINK YOU ARE? IF I WANT ANOTHER ROW I WILL ADD ONE.

STOP INSERTING ROWS IN MY TABLE. WHO THEFUCK DO YOU PIECES OF THINK YOU ARE? IF I WANT ANOTHER ROW I WILL ADD ONE. YOU LITTLE * AT MICROSOFT NEED TO STAY THE ** OUT OF THE WAY. YOUR NOT HELPING WITH ALL YOURDOPEY "HELPING".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Templates For Rulers

Amongst the templates, add ruler templates that print actual size. I'd like to see various templates for various rulers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Anchor "Ignore Once" and "Ignore All" options in Spelling & Grammar Check

Currently, when I spellcheck a document the "Ignore" options move up and down in the sidebar depending on how many "Suggestions" pop up for a given word. This causes problems when I accidentally click on a suggestion instead of "Ignore". Would it be possible to anchor the Ignore options to the bottom of the sidebar, so they're always in the same place?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. grammar spellcheck / new version is confusing

I find the review/proofing/editor confusing and not as useful as previous versions of word. Please bring back previous version or make this one more user friendly. I specifically enjoy being able to spell check highlighted text only, with this new version, it seems to spell check entire documents.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Commenting is sluggish

When commenting on larger documents, 40+ pages, 12-14 comments at the very least, Word seems to be heavily impacted performance-wise.
    But PC performance in several instances/tests see much less use of resources. Seems to be a limitation of the application and not resources available.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The ability to set goals, or benchmarks while typing long documents.

I'm a writer, and love using word. One thing that I regularly do is set myself daily goals. My goals typically revolve around word count, some authors write books with 100,000-200,000 word counts. Most genres or book types have a typical word count associated with them. Though this would benefit me, and other writers, I feel that this feature would also benefit other professionals that have to get to THIS point by THIS time. And setting word count, page count, heading (chapter) count goals would be beneficial.

Ultimately, being able to set a goal and have it shown somewhere on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Can you include

Can you create a Hashmark? I am writing a single book. Everything I am writing it is through Grammarly? I have forty-two separate, versions, of this one story, or add-in's if this sounds better? Does Grammarly in Desktop Applications' have a suggestion? Probably! (Desktop Application? I am going nuts. Mike Nebergall.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Save button should grey out after clicking it

After clicking the Save button, it should be deactivated/greyed out. When using Office 365 or Office 2016 and above, the Save button remains active even after saving a file while using the desktop apps. This is not the case when using Office 2007, 2010 or 2013.
    It should be active only when a file has been modified.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. be able to change the default text box

You should be able to change the default text box so that on any document, your custom text box is the default

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. fix word- editor

hello, i am a student and i love the editor part in word! just can u make it so it will fix ALL capital letters, grammer and just upgrade. and ALL mistakes are fixed or just suggested. PLEASE UPGRADE

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Compact Ribbon View

Apparently, early versions of Office 365 had a "compact view" option for Word, but now, with Microsoft 365, that functionality is no longer available. The best option is only a lengthy way of working with source code (or a Macro of some sort) to decrease the ribbon icon sizes and/or shrink unnecessary space. Other options could include decrease the size of all apps on Windows 10 by shrinking display options, but that affects a lot more than just the ribbon size. I could also hide the ribbon, but I don't want to hide it, just reduce it. But even in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please return to SAVE AS saving the first line of document

Please return to SAVE AS saving the first line of document

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to select a text/paragraph style when creating/modifying table styles

When creating/modifying a table style, the user should be able to assign a text/paragraphs style (probably a paragraphs style?) to each functional area in a table. This could be implemented in a similar way to the existing font dropdown selector, and provide a style dropdown selector, or some other method.

In this way every table will overwrite the existing paragraph style of the text within the table when applied, or provide a text style override while keeping the existing paragraph style.

Example:
    Whole Table: use Body Text
    Header Row: use Body Text 2
    First Column: use Body Text 2

When…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Dragged and dropped words should be tracked as Moved from and Moved To

When dragging and dropping whole sentences or paragraphs with Track Changes - All Markup enabled, the sentence/paragraph in the first location is marked as Moved From and the sentence/paragraph in the new location is marked as Moved To. Unlike sentences/paragraphs, dragged and dropped words (one or more) are marked as Deleted and Inserted, which does not reflect the real action having taken place (a move). Single or multiple dragged and dropped words should also be marked as Moved From and Moved To.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Wrong APA Edition Template - Add 7th Edition!

You have the incorrect template edition on Word. It's still 2010 version - 6th Edition. The newest edition was released at the end of 2019. The 7th Edition is for students and has no running header and no abstract, as well as the topic matter being left aligned and not centered.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. share word todo

i suggest to add share todo micrsoft to share button in word
    by that , we can easily sharewhole text or part of it in word docs with todo microsoft

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. There should be an option to delete many styles at once (select multiple/all styles).

When converting pdf file to word, too many unneeded styles included, says hundreds styles. Deleting one by one is time consuming, and unwise.

So there should be "select all styles" option and to deselect some, and delete all selected styles.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Why MS Word still does not have autosummarize?

In the past, MS Word used to have a tool to summarize a document. Microsoft discontinued this tool in 2010. I can see that in 2017, a user asked for continuing the tool, but now three years later, the tool does not exist. Please reconsider continuing it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base