Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Shapes - lines

Please provide Bezier controls to curved lines (incl. arrowhead lines) - the current curved lines are horrible/impossible to control.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hebrew footnote reference

There is an apparent bug in the program, when using Hebrew footnote reference above ten the letters become reversed. בי instead of יב. Saving to word 97 does not solve the problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I CAN'T REPLY TO MY TEMPLATE S MY UNIVERSITY IS REQUESTING.

i need to upload a form from my college soon

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bug report for Word 2016 on Windows 7 - insertion caret visibility and performance problems

1 - Word freezes for several seconds such that the insertion caret becomes not visible. For example, when using the CTRL+arrow keys to move several words in either direction. Once the caret is visible, it rapidly moves along the words to catch up w/ the typed movements.
    2 - The insertion caret on an open document will go invisible and will not be visible again until something is typed.

Note: The PC I am using does not have latency problems. All other applications are fully responsive, and no taxing background processes are active. This is a PC I have been…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Yet another bug in Word 2013 - 'return to where you left off' fails after changing markup options

After opening Word 2013 (Windows 10), I click on 'return to where you left off' tab. This takes me to where I was last working. After that, I turn off various Markup options in Track Changes. Bizarrely, Word takes me back to the beginning of the document. Workaround = use F5 to return. Suggestion: fix this bug.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bug report for Word 2016 on Windows 7 - insertion caret momentarily jumps to end of line following word insertion

Editing context: Sentence in a paragraph, justified. In the middle of the line, enter some text, such as the word "the" followed by a space. The insertion caret briefly jumps to the end of the line then returns back to the beginning of the word following the newly inserted word. Can be reproduced easily.
    Product information: Subscription Product MS Office 365, Version: 16.0.6366.2047

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. WORD 2016 bug resulting in error will not print - not enough memory or disk space to repaginate or print this docment

WORD 2016 bug resulting in error will not print - not enough memory or disk space to repaginate or print this document. Having been through MS support service resulting in remote assistance to totally remove and re-install Office 365 Home and checks on machine memory, everything up to date we could still not print a 3.6meg 2 page document in .docx format or save to pdf. Yet it would print if saved to .doc format and if moved into Publisher which I also use for 35meg publications with no problem. There is obviously some sort of memory leak. or management…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. very good

you are doing a good job on here

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Page Breaks and Page Formatting

Formatting for each section is maintained in the section breaks at the end of each section. This can cause difficulty when deleting sections, as existing sections can then change formatting to the deleted section. It would be great if more control can be introduced so that deleting sections does not cause formatting of remaining text to become chaotic!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Watermark

Text watermarks in Word 2010 with my printer will only print every second letter (so the "DRAFT" watermark prints "D A T". Removing the "Semi transparent" option enables it to print correctly. Please make the "Semi transparent" option which can be saved. Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Visual basic editor

The interface is very old (in Office 2010), perhaps it's time to update it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Picture editing context menu/dialogue box.

Picture editing - please combine "Size+Position" and "Format Picture" context menu windows into a single menu/dialogue box. It's illogical to have them separate.
    Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Paragraph Indent Bug

I'm running MS Word 2016 on Windows 7 and I'm having issues with the paragraph indentation arbitrarily going away in parts of my document. I can get it to come back if I hit the show/hide paragraph marks, but if I don't do this and print the document, the missing indention shows up in my printed document. Any idea on a fix?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow to edit proofing rules

Currently there is no way to modify a proofing ruler. For example, the Italian proofing tool consider "se stesso" wrong and wants to change it to "sé stesso", but this is not true. However there is no way to change that and using Ignore works only for that session. Ignore is nor remembered across sections or documents.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Select text by format (i.e. colour, font, size, underline, italic, bold etc.)

I'm lazy and I often type notes that need to be changed or removed at a later date in red italics. These are normally spread throughout my document and need to be deleted at some point. It would be great if i had the option to select all of the text that fit a certain formatting rule so i could change or delete it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable removal of default folder for images

If I have specified a default folder for finding images then when want an image it always goes there. Generally I want to go to the folder I last went to, and Word will only do this if the default folder for images is blank. However, I cannot delete what's there without going into the Registry. I should never have to touch the Registry for something so mundane! (I'm using word 2010; if this has been changed since, apologies)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Making a list with flush left hand margins and flush right hand margins easier (with dots to connect) like old WordPerfect did.

Typing a simple list should be just that: simple. Left hand margins should be flush, dots connecting information to right hand flush information. Old WordPerfect had a "shift F7" that would do it all.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Numbered list bug

There is a bug in Microsoft Word 2016 where numbered lists always display their numbers in Western European numeral, even when the language context is Hebrew, Arabic, Indian, etc. which requires Hebrew numeral, eastern Arabic numeral, Indic numerals, etc. This bug is new to Office 2016.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Put h-bar (Plank's Constant/(2*pi)) in the symbols box.

h-bar is one of the most commonlyl used constants in physics yet it is absent from the symbols box in Word. Please put it in, I (and a large proportion of the science world) use it all the time and currently, the only way to put it in a document is to copy and paste it from somewhere else.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base