Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Update default graphics and pictures

When I write professional documents, and look for graphics to break up the text, I am constantly disappointed at what is available from Microsoft. Not to be rude, but they look like pictures a kindergartner drew 40 years ago, not graphics that can be used in high tech and corporate documents. Can you update them and get them more professional? And not always about businesses? Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Word document - cut and paste

Since your update I can no longer cut and paste using my Internet Explorer. I am told I have to use Google Chrome. That is not a choice I want. Please fix this for Explorer PLEASE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Comments boxes to refer to more than one place in doc, and adjustable highlight area

When editing, sometimes I want to point out that there is a repeated word, phrase or sentiment in the text, and suggest to the author that changes should be made. At the moment, Comments only refer to the piece of text I've selected, and I have to highlight the repeated words/phrases that fall on the same page so that the author can easily find them; or I have to add another comment where the repeat(s) fall saying 'See comment on pX'. Is there any way of getting one comment to refer to multiple places in the document? Would it be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Merging from Excel list: strings are cut at the 256th character by default

There is an error: on merging the Word document (e.g. directory template) with the Excel data source (e.g. list of records), the values transferred to the result Word document are cut to their first 255 characters, the tail is lost. The known "lifehack" to prevent such behaviour is to add one more row just after the header in the Excel spreadsheet and to fill the appropriate columns in this row by very long strings (longer than 255 charachers). Certailny, these "dummy data" must be removed later from the beginning of the result document. But I think this error anyway should…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Multitasking of documents

Why is it we have multicore processors and multitasking operating system but word will not let you continue to work on a document when another word document is being opened. When working with large documents this is annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Control characters don't show in Word 2013 and 2016

Word has the option of showing the control characters--special characters that are related to RTL languages (File > Options > Advanced. Under section "Show document content", there's an option to check "Show control characters" for those who have a RTL language enabled in Word). I remember that those characters do show in Word 2010. However, they're not showing in Word 2013 and 2016. You can tell, from the movement of the cursor, that those characters are there, but they're not visible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Series Field when creating a new reference citation

When using the Turabian reference formatting box there is no place to show that a book is part of a series of books. Turabian is often used in religious projects and the reference books for that field are often in series.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Word 2016 Navigation pane scroll bug

Word 2016 Navigation pane scroll bug

In Word 2016, when the Navigation pane on screen is open and full of headings, and the document is multiple pages with 100% scale (2 pages on 1080p screen), you adjust the Navigation pane width to leave the document just as two pages without any waste, the document will scroll to the last page, or maybe the last heading.
    Have been repeated on every Word2016 computers I saw, but Word2010 works fine, and Word2013 not tested.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Close the equation and symbol dropbox automatically after inserting a symbol

When typing in a foreign language I often use the symbol feature of word. When clicked on a dropbox appears with 'equation' and 'symbols' options. I click on 'symbols' at which point the 'symbols' selection window opens. I select the symbol I wish to use and click insert. I then have to click somewhere on the screen to get rid of the original dropdown box so that I can continue typing. This should be made to close automatically so that typing is not interrupted.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Vertical cursor lock

I would like to be able to lock/fix the vertical position of the cursor, so that when I press Enter or Arrow Down, the screen itself scrolls upwards instead of the cursor downwards, enabling my eyes to stay focussed on the same line/position. The only way of achieving this now is by scrolling all the way down to the bottom line, but I’d like to see at least three or four lines belów the current line I’m editing/reading.
    This function could be compared with placing two transparent rulers on your computerscreen, with the current line of editing in between them.…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow inline big operators in equation editor

In the equation editor, you can't use a big operator (such as Union, Integral, etc.) inline with its limits and parameters above and below the operator. You can do it if you put it on a line of its own, but once you add text or place the formula inline with other text, all the big operators turn to small ones.
    Please allow for this inline as well, it could be very useful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Expand Equation Support for the Entry of Polar Coordinates

Currently, there is no bracket type to allow for the entry of polar values. Yes, there is a "∠" symbol, however this is not a sufficient option since it is often essential to express addition or subtraction within the angular component of the polar value. the underline of the angle bracket should extend below the numbers it is supposed to contain (as it is most often shown in electrical engineering texts). Please add a new bracket to accomplish this notation within the equation editor.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Word with Register

Excel have some "Register" and i whish the same for WORD.

Why:
    In Word we write someone more then one Letter to the same Case (e.G. Letter 1: Please do as follow // Letter 2: You have not answerd to our Letter #1 - this is a Reminder" and so on).

Actually, we have many of Letters which are the same recipient and subject. Which "Registers" all the subjects are in ONE File, so i find all in one Place on the Disk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Design Colour

When you choose a colour theme from the DESIGN ribbon, the selected palette has a very faint highlight around the chosen palette making it hard to identify. The MAC version makes this much clearer. I'd like to see the PC version revised so it's easier to identify the palette selected.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!261419&authkey=!AB9MTR0uAET5y7g&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!267021&authkey=!AAUUjmUrf7THuYk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Edumath Addin

please introduce edumath add-in for office 2016..if more function could be added with more control to it, it would be better.. otherwise still at least make the older version compatible with office professional 2016.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. bold mode problem in hindi number

there is problem in equation mode for Hindi numbers. when i use language with Hindi number like Arabic , Persian and so in equation mode if i use bold option office change number to English and there is problem with fraction for hindi num. if i use that for fraction equation went wrong in size and make the equation smaller than common condition with English num.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Right-click shortcut for "Open different file in same directory"

Sometimes you want to open a file in the same directory as one that is currently open, but you don't want to have to navigate a long way away from the current directory. I'd like to be able to right-click on a file in the "Open" pane and have the following option added: "Open different file in same directory" or "Navigate to this file's location"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. It would be great to add a command for deleting the current comment

I'm a copyeditor and often have documents with hundreds of comments. I'd like to be able to move through the comments one by one and, with a keyboard command, delete comments that are no longer relevant.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Have a customised option to load only Corporate Styles

Currently we have a Corporate Style, however people are constantly ending up with Office default styles. Then they have to remove it and the organizational one appears again from the Workgroup area.

Also people are modifying their own normal.dot and working outside of the corporate style.
    An option for corporations to only display and use corporate styles would be an asset for the office business use and users.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change Ribbon icons in black theme for better contrast

The black theme is a great improvement but the blue colour used throughout the Ribbon icons is too dark and therefore the contrast with the surrounding bar too low. Ideally I'd like to be able to change all non colour related icons to a uniform white colour to make them stick out less.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base