Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DELETE MICROSOFT WORD!!!!

delete word it sucks and i hope it gets deleed on day !!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Macros: Make it so that if I record a macro it automatically generates a digital certificate so Word will not immediately disable my macro

Yesterday I recorded a macro to speed up my work flow on MS Word. Today when I tried to play the macro Word had disabled it saying it did not have a digital certificate. This is ridiculous. There's no security risk to me because I wrote the macro and automatically disabling it is stopping my work flow. I even tried to go into Developer... Macros... to turn off disabling of any macro but even that did not work. I purchased Office 365 Business to speed up my work, not prevent it. Please fix this!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to hide Status Bar

Word 2019 - It's great that the status bar can be customized, but please add to that list the options to turn it off completely, hide it until the mouse is at the bottom of the page, and white out the blinding color (generally or at least when the Office theme is set to "White").

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fix QAT Button Spacing

The previous request on this has been closed for voting because you say it is fixed. It is not fixed.
    I have a QAT that fits on one row on the screen in Word 2013.
    The same QAT in Word 2016 (365) does not fit. Over a third of it is pushed to a second non-displayed row.

This is true when it is in mouse mode/not touch mode. In touch mode it is worse!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Keep text selected after changing the highlight color.

Whenever you change to highlight color of text, the text you just highlighted deselects. Why? The obvious and only sensible approach to this is to have the text remain selected after changing the highlight color. The way it is set up now is absolutely nonsensical and I am appalled Microsoft would consider running things that way. Fix it; thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bring back feature allowing setting tab stop in ruler outside the page margins/bounds

In Word for Windows, I often placed bar tab stops in the ruler outside the page margins/bounds to draw vertical lines on pages that enclose the text. With the page boundary/margins set in the ruler as 0" and 6.5", I would select the whole page and the left bar tab would be set at -.1" (negative .1) and the right bar tab would be set at 6.6" - outside the page margins. While the Tab dialog box seems to allow setting the tab stop outside the margins, Word for Windows 2016 does not include the ability to use the ruler…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. emmanuel m tamba

my Microsoft office is not activated

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The Styles pane needs to go back to multiple columns, instead of single column view.

Prior to a recent update, the Word Styles pane would resize and display multiple columns of the styles list. Now, it displays a single column. It is entirely disruptive and extends productivity time by more than 300%. Why fix things that are not broken?

20-year user

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text highlights colors in this newer version are very stressful to the eyes. Past Microsoft version used to be softer. It would be nice to h

Text highlights colors in this newer version are very stressful to the eyes. Past Microsoft version used to be softer. It would be nice to have soft highlighting colors plus a larger variety of those colors. Thanks!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Office Theme (Night Mode)

The "Black" option in the Office Themes should turn the worksheet black as well, or at the very least dark gray.
    The canvas page remains white with this option, which is really hurtful for one's eyes. The entire page should be completely dark.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "Reject" button shifting into position of "Nex" button in Review Ribbon when activating comment!!!!!!

When pressing the "Next" button in the review ribbon we are cycling though comments and changes. every time a comment is activated a new button for "Delete Comment" appears in the ribbon. As a result the "Reject Change" button is shifting into the position of the "next" button.
    This is resulting in many unintended rejections when quickly cycling though comemtns and changes.
    This seems to be a newly added feature (Jan 2019) and MUST be changed. I suggest to either show the "delete comment" button there permanently (inactive when no comment is marked) or to get rid od it altogether…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. track format

Be able to turn off Track formatting" in the Tracking toolbar and make it stick. It is infuriating that Word starts tracking formatting again as soon you change the document view from "All Markup" to "Simple Markup". It is even more infuriating that since am in Simple Markup, I don't even know it's doing it until I go back to "All Markup."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Autosummary tool

Bring back the autosummary tool. It was unbeatable and will remain unmatched when returned. Also, it was useful for people with reading and comprehension difficulties.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Return or fix font style selection in theme font definition

Feedback from the Word user forum implies that this is not a supported feature of Office applications, but given I’ve been using this since Themes were introduced and given it still works with other Office applications – I’m classifying this as an issue.

The issue centres on how fonts are defined e.g. Century Gothic (and many other MS Fonts) are not separated by style – bold, italic, etc in the font menus of Office products. This has been the case since I can remember and the work around when defining theme fonts was to append the style to the font…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Bookmarks part of Navigation Pane

Make Bookmarks part of Navigation Pane

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Stop re-opening minimized windows

I work for the government. WE CANNOT CHANGE THE REGISTRY IN OUR COMPUTERS. I use Apple at home because Microsoft is a JOKE. This needs to be fixed by the less than intelligent creators. I have zero personal windows or microsoft at home because they are a terrible company with even worse customer service. (otherwise this would have been fixed years ago, but they aren't smart enough to fix it)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Comment numbering

Bring Comment numbering back in print view. Stop trying to innovate away from practicality. Word is interpreting user ID to create initials and getting it wrong for enterprises with lastname, firstname protocols.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Automatically detect and convert legacy documents

When a legacy Word document is opened can Word have a feature that automatically detects if there will be problems and do the necessary conversion before presenting the content on the screen. There must be millions of 97 .doc files in existence, we have thousands, and the current version of Word (1903 Build 11425.20204 as distributed by Office 365) errors on opening a document containing tables before showing a garbled representation of the contents on the screen. The documents can be opened successfully on an older version of Word (1808 Build 10730.20334), saved as a .docx file and then they…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Return automatically numbered comments, as in previous versions of Word.

Return automatically numbered comments, as in previous versions of Word.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base