Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Allow auto save to save on the computer or in other cloud services. Not just Microsoft.

Why can't we have an option to autosave anywhere we wish. Our computers or any cloud serivce we are already with. My company uses Office 365 and enjoy all the things it provides except OneDrive. We will no longer use that service because it corrupted all of our files on our other cloud service. Please change the AUTOSAVE function to where we choose not just microsoft programs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Senior discount or free account

70 is the new 40...Seniors have the need for more than reading a document but have limited income. They deserve free access to the product as much as educators and students.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. You have ruined Word. Please put right up front spacing, font, font size. Return old Word

Make an older version of Word available. If you put this idea up for a vote you would be overwhelmed with yes answers. You have made Word almost unusable.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. microsoft should have multi language profeeding, grammar and spell checking tool utilize users demand

microsoft should have multi language profeeding, grammar and spell checking tool utilize users demand to avoid less hassle searching in web

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Changing Words Inside the Spell Checker

I would like to be able to correct my words inside of the spell checker instead of having to click on my document and correct them if my word is not listed in the suggestions. This would save me so much time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Autocorrect

I would like to have an Autocorrect option in the right-click menu, when proofreading a document. That way, a user can quickly add the desired word/usage to Autocorrect. Previous versions of Word had that option, but in Windows 10 it has mysteriously been dropped. This omission makes the Autocorrect feature less useful.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. landscape

New Document... Add a LANDSCAPE basic default document to the templates.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Advanced Capitalization Checker

It would just be a button or something that can be used to double check headings/titles/whatever is selected would be capitalized by a certain convention, either the regular sentence method, or AP Stylebook/Chicago/MLA title methods, or even something else.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add decision tree template to smartart

Current hierarchy template does not have branches that show either "yes" or "no

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. TYPEWRITER SCROLLING

Turn on Typewriter scrolling so that when the text gets to the middle of the text window (vertical direction) it remains centered there when you continue typing and the text scrolls up one line at a time. The function can be turned on and off from the layout tab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Paste file path to navigate to folder in Save dialog

Add the possibility to paste a full (previously copied) file path to navigate to a folder before saving. This has been working in the legacy "Save as" dialog by simply pasting the path in the "File name" box and hitting Enter; it's a time-saver especially when you have to navigate through a long path and the location is not present in recent or pinned locations.

This feature could be enabled both in the new "Save" dialog and Office "Save As" menu section (simply add support path pasting in the File Name box).

This can be applied to all Office applications.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Revert "By Author" default colors in track changes from pink/gray back to red/blue

With the most recent Word update (May, 2019) the default "By Author" colors for edits made using track changes has changed from red and blue to pink and gray. This is an unnecessary and terrible change. Red and blue are easy to see onscreen and in print. Pink and gray are not. There are a lot of other good user suggestions in this forum of how to make track changes better. Please work on implementing some of those useful suggestions rather than "fixing" things that aren't broken. And for the sake of those who earn our living using track changes…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Colored "filter" to allow different documents open at the same time to be easily told apart

The addition of a colored "filter" button which temporarily colors the pages of an open document for viewing so that multiple documents which look similar (e.g. different versions of the same file) can easily be told apart when switching between windows. For example, one file could be colored yellow, one could be green etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add color inversion from within word

Some method to relieve eye strain when looking at white pages with black text. However, this color inversion should not affect the printouts.
    Hence, I feel there should be some separate "page viewing settings" which is different from actual color of page and texts.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option to turn off collapse heading feature

I need to be able to turn off the collapse heading "feature". It is not useful to me, and is dangerous as it is quite easy to inadvertently hide text in a document.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bug Word custom UI ribbon no longer loading when Word is launched with Automation since Update 1901

After the Word 1901 11231.20174 Update was introduced our custom Add-in template and many others I've tried while investigating are failing to be displayed when Word is launched by Automation. (Still not working on 1902 11328.20146)

Launching word normally from the start menu shortcut or by running winword allows the ribbon to be displayed OK, However when word is launched programmatically and is run with the Winword.exe /Automation -Embedding parameters the add-in is not displayed.

Checking the Developer -> Document Template "Templates and Add-ins" form the add-in is displayed and is checked "Checked Items are currently loaded." but it's not…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Translation official stamp

I sometimes need to translate documents for HR (eg invitation to give a talk).
    I usually send them the official letter that I receive in French or other language, and add the MS translated text underneath. This works well, but it would be nice if you offered the possibility to stamp the translation with a "Translated by Microsoft translate" stamp.
    This could be done simply as a stamp, or perhaps as an official certification so that the document cannot be changed once translated.
    I think both are needed because I usually need to adjust the translation a wee bit to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Do not print content controls

It is common that when creating a fillable form in Microsoft word, you may want to physically print the form for signing rather than ask someone to fill it in on a computer.

It would therefore be super helpful to be able to print word documents, but exclude all content controls from the print.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Word no longer appears in "Open with" options for PDF files

To open a PDF file with Word I now have to go to Choose another app, then More, and only then can I see it. Word should appear as an option to open the file with in the File Explorer context menu.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Do not re-enable disabled features with updates.

Monthly Microsoft Office Updates! It's time again for "guess which settings Microsoft has changed without asking".

This time they've decided that I couldn't possibly have intended to disable the spelling and grammar checkers.

So, yet again, now I have had to hunt down and disable; 1) check spelling as you type, 2) mark grammar errors as you type, 3) check grammar with spelling, 4) mark "frequently confused words", 5) six autocorrect options, 6) eleven autoformat-as-you-type options, 7) and twelve autoformat options. Did I mention again? I have turned off all these options at least five times.

I have superb spelling,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base