Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Which is the best EDB to PST Converter Software?

Enstella Exchange EDB to PST Converter Software through which you can easily resolve the all EDB file corruption errors and allow user to see the recovered data and after recovering you can quickly export the data into PST, EML, MSG, and HTML file formats within few minutes etc. It is 100% possible to fix large size unreadable EDB file errors and risk-free conversion option to convert offline with support all MS Outlook versions such as Outlook 2013, and whole lower versions.
    Get Freeware to click here-https://www.enstella.com/edb-to-pst-conversion.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add placeholders for data/text that is repeated and may change

For documents that have dates such as project start date, milestones, etc. that are repeated multiple times, or for documents that have names that may change etc. it would be really handy to have a placeholder that would allow you to go back and change all text at once, this would be more reliable than CTRL + F and replace all because you would assure that it only changes words that you plan too.

Currently, this feature is replicated by creating a bibliography style that puts the text in without parenthesis for in-text citations. This creates 2 limitations: 1. You…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to change default "paste" settings to MATCH existing format

I recently came across a meme in my law school Facebook group that said "Dear Microsoft Word" I never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to paste without matching formatting. Never. Never. Ever. Thx" The fact that this is a meme with thousands of likes indicates to me this is a longstanding frustration among users. Why not allow the option to change our default past settings? I don't understand.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please offer an option to turn off dictation profanity filter.

I write a lot. Sometimes it's nice to be able to just say what I want typed to give my hands and wrists a break. I can't do this if every other word is censored out. (, , ****, panties, idiot, sniggered, cocked, etc.) Please offer us adults the option of having cuss words in our writing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Visually distinct

How about having command symbols that are visually distinct, not tiny faint grey line drawings. Icons would be so much easier to recognize.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Display "Feature Flags" to users

This blog:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-release-processes-why-do-i-not-see-a-feature-but/bc-p/2113533#M7903

explained why Office app users do not always see the same "new" feature flags".

See my comment on the blog. Short form, this hidden manipulation of features is causing massive amounts of wasted time world wide because people sitting side by side are not seeing the same "new" features.

Please expose these flags in the File menu > Account command > About section in addition to Version and Build numbers.
    In IT support we NEED to see this information!
    This change needs to be implemented in all applications that user "feature flags" to control rollouts. …

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add bookmark brackets to formatting marks

Why shouldn't the text mark delimiters also be displayed when activating the format symbols (¶)?

Here is my explanation: By default, Word does not show the brackets for the bookmarks. If you change a letter at the end of a bookmark, you have no chance to position the insertion point correctly. When troubleshooting, it took my colleagues and me hours to find the mistake.

Unfortunately, the command to show the bookmarks is also hard to find. (BTW: Here is space for another improvement.)

That's why I suggest that, as in Libreoffice, you can also show the bookmarks in Word by…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The Number List feature in Word needs to be made more robust as I have found over the years that it is not reliable

I would like to see the Multi-level List feature retain the sequence of numbering and 'obey' commands

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I want to edit the file name in the Info tab.

I can't rename files in the word app.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please include EMOJIS.

I need lots of Emojis.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. voice

maybe you could have something that records your voice and it types it out for you and if they hear it wrong you could allow people to edit it because I find typing constantly when writing something can give you sour arms!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Application.Version since 2016 shows always 16.0!

Since Word Version 2016, VBA always delivers 16.0 when querying the version. Why can you no longer distinguish Word 2019 or 365 from version 2016? This creates problems in controlling the macros for our customers. We need to know which version is installed in order to control our program properly.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Revert back to older (~2020) version of right-click spell checker and add a button in ribbon

This new version requires clicking 3 times before you can get to the full menu. I want to there in 1 click, like before.
    Also, it would be helpful to have a button which essentially right clicks wherever the flashing cursor is - then we wouldn't have to click at all, just some "Alt +" shortcut and we're there.

Word doesn't recognise a lot of words because I work with 4 languages and also use phonetic spellings amongst other things

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please update MS Word Citations & Bibliography to support APA 7th Edition

The tools found in the Citations & Bibliography panel are used by students in colleges and universities extensively. Students have little time to learn and build code to address this issue. Please upgrade or provide a patch to update MS Word to support APA Seventh Edition. Please!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Tabbed interface in WORD to support working on multiple documents

Can the Office team introduce Tab functionality in future releases of Office, including for Powerpoint, Excel, etc.? It's 2021 and I'm slightly amused that no one thought of doing so.
    Edge has multiple website tabs in a single browser window, Firefox and Safari have it, but not office? :)

Even Adobe PDF supports a tabbed interface where I can have multiple PDF's open in a single window, allowing an end user to reduce time spent in trying to scroll through multiple windows instead.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. sketch to find symbols

In google docs, you can sketch the symbol you want to add and it will find what you are trying to find instead of scrolling through all of the options.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. update the APA to version 7 all university's are using this now.

All University's are using the 7th edition of the APA style for writing. It would help if you added this to Word for Windows.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Option to suppress dictation toolbar

New version of Word and Outlook in Office 365 open a Dictation Toolbar which it did not before. This really gets in the way and does not have much on it. Figure out a way that I can take it off the screen and yet have access to the options it contains. Maybe put them in Options instead of in my face every time I dictate.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base