Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Dedicated Grab Window Area

I want a specific/highlighted mark that I know is not a button or function on the top colored bar of windows and excel. I am imagining a small square that's red that says "grab" where I can point and click to drag screens around my dual monitor.

I say this because sometimes when you have two or three panes of excel/windows open, the buttons at the top of the frame become very close together, so it becomes easy to click the undo / search / users profile button.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Smart art options

Provide more smart art options as many users would love to have it and experiment with it. The limitations are a major drawback as users have to go online and search for templates and download them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Display SharePoint's Check In Comment under Version History

Display SharePoint's Check In Comment next to every file under the Version History panel. It is only a list of names, dates and numbers.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The dictate function is very accurate but needs a function to keep it switched on until the user is finished.

Currently the user has no control over the dictate function automatically switching off during a pause. It is most disruptive to smooth dictation to have to continually switch it back on. Please allow the user to decide if it is to remain on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please add Tab system for multiple opened documents

It's very annoying to switch windows while working with multiple documents.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Issue with setting default proofing language

I'm trying to change the default proofing language in Word 2019, but despite having changed the default both in Language dialogue and in Styles, and having removed English as proofing language from the options, it always defaults back to English.

I discussed this issue with another user here, but we were unable to find a solution: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msowin10-mso_2019/change-default-spell-checker-language/734b6741-2057-4adc-8b91-1450dfcabd6a

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Multiple TAB/Sheet option in MS Word

Problem Statement:

User need to create new files for new activities. Also user can not link one word data from different word files.

Solution:

We should have an option of creating multiple Tab/Sheet in one word file like MS Excel.

There are multiple benefits of it like:

1. We can link one sheet to another

2. We can create the different word file just by adding the new tabs in same file

3. We don't have to open multiple files for different task or activities

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. make it possible to do a strike through a different color from the text.

Would like to be able to be able to change the color of a strike through without changing the color of the text that is being struck out

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Yes, the self-censoring dictation function needs to be an option, not a requisite or even default mode. The reasons extend beyond hyper-sen

The self-censoring dictation function needs to be an option, not a requisite or even default mode. The reasons extend beyond hyper-sensitivities about offensive or possible inaccurate and potentially offensive transcription. Indeed, the basic issue--for me at least--is accuracy. Dictating notes from one's reading beats the **** out of (can I say that?) typing them in, but such notes are of little use if they are not verbatim accurate.

And note that profanity and obscenity are not the only categories in question. The choices as to what to obscure and what to reveal are arbitrary and capricious and occur and applied…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add AI feature that would allow ink to text to ink.

I know this is an extreme request, but it's something I've been dreaming about since the Tablet PC on XP -- allowing you to compose in ink, and then, with the click of a button, switch to text when you want to. But here's where the AI feature comes in. When in text mode, typing on a keyboard, all is well, but with the flip of that same toggle, you convert it back to ink and the AI component identifies the content you created as text and converts it to ink, emulating your handwriting. So you can switch between ink…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Xbox Series X Support for Word

Microsoft Word and Excel for Windows are vastly more powerful than their non-Windows and online variants, so at present there is no practical alternative to having a physical PC - just to use Word and Excel.
    It was recently revealed that XBox OS is now based on Windows 10, so it should be possible to run the full-fat versions of Microsoft Office or just Word and Excel on the new XBox Series X. Doing so would materially improve the value of the new XBox lineup.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Dictation

I would like an option in which a voice from the computer dictates the whole document.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bring natural Read Aloud voices to Word/MS Office

Bring the natural sounding "online" voices already available in the Read Aloud feature on the new Microsoft Edge to the Read Aloud feature in Word. These voices sound much more natural and could easily work when a device is connected to the internet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow form fields in MS Word to be spell-checked

Form fields in MS Word currently are not spell-checked. This is annoying at best and at worst, is a less accessible and user-friendly feature for folks with a variety of disabilities or different abilities (eg. dyslexia or dysgraphia).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. paste as pictures as vector graphics from ppt

vector graphics enable the picture to have more details even manified

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. side by side split

Editing large documents often relies on being able to see another part of the document hence the Split function. Since modern screens have a wide aspect ratio, and most documents have a tall aspect ratio, splitting the document so one part appears above the other leaves two very narrow views. The option to split the view so one view appears to the left and the other to the right would mean more of each view could be seen at once.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remain activated on the same device after signing out of the microsoft account

I have not been using a stand alone product of office. I have been using Office 365 subscription where I could sign-out of the office application (i.e. Word) and it was still activated (this is what I did always when using the office application, I never used it while signed in). Reason for that being able to work was that Microsoft counted the devices that the office application was installed on.

I unfortunately updated the Office 365 application which now changed to Microsoft 365. This changed a few things amongst others where it now counts sign-in's so that you can…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stop autocorrecting “EHR” to “HER”

EHR is commonly used medical jargon to refer to an Electronic Health Record (see Wikipedia and dictionary.com). Can this be removed
    from the Desktop autocorrect?

It would be great if there were a website that could be dedicated to autocorrect updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Delete Page Button

I think that there should be a delete current page button because I was typing in something but I could not delete the page

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base