Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. The ONLY place I want my documents saved is in my docs on THIS PC. I do not want ONEDRIVE at all. Remove that option!

I DO NOT WANT TO USE ONEDRIVE AT ALL!!! The only place I want to save docs is on THIS PC. Please remove the ONEDRIVE option!!! Let me make the DEFAULT PLACE TO SAVE "THIS PC"!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Word Read Aloud

It'd be nice if the Word Read Aloud feature can work with SAP voices, or 32-bit voices on my computer. One needs to rely on the "Speak Selected Feature," which is not as handy as Read Aloud.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. why can't we cross out something while doin equations

While doing math's there are some exchanges and we have to show our work by crossing out

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Implement "Back" Feature for Use with Viewing In-Document Links

In a web browser, if you click on a link, you can get back to the previous page by clicking a "Back" button. Word gives you the ability to create a link to another part of the same document using the Bookmark feature. However, if you click on a link to another place in the document, and want to go back to the point at which you clicked the link after viewing the linked section, there does not appear to be a way to do that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow the switch off time in dictate to be adjusted (and improve command recognition).

Dictate works well - the word recognition is better than all the dedicated programmes I have tried. But auto switch off is annoying if using it for research while reading. If you must have a switch-off time, at least make it adjustable. Ad do please allow commands such as delete last word or underline sentence. these are advertised but do not work

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to choose Sender Email Address for Mail Merge

When completing a mail merge and selecting the option to send email messages, there should be an option under message options to select which email address you want to send from.

A lot of users like myself have multiple email accounts linked to Outlook, so it would be helpful to be able to send the email messages from the correct email account.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. bring back frontpage with new improvement and new features we need it badly

bring back frontpage with new improvement and new features we need it badly
    Bring it back to life
    Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Language Papiamento

I am currently in a position in which I have O365 in my portfolio to sell here on the island of Aruba. The local language is Papiamento and is used in many news articles. Next to that it is a language given at certain school of which the number will increase in the coming years. That means more individuals will be using Word processing on a daily basis to create documents in Papiamento.

Currently I cannot sell O365 to many clients because the language is taken out of the language package. It is still available in Word 2010 and hence…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Embed specific custom dictionary in a Word document?

Often, when I write a Word document, there a number of terms that are not recognized by the proofer. So I use "Add to dictionary" to tell Word that they are correct. However that dictionary is ONLY on my machine, If I distribute the document to other people, those words are marked as wrong again. Furthermore, those words might be correct ONLY in that specific document, because they are context-related. Not necessarily they are correct in another document. For example, specific proper names. In any case I might not wish to distribute my general custom dictionary with every document.

So…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Need Word autocorrect registry information

Autocorrect option values for Office application are stored in the following location, but I’m not able to find the autocorrect registry values for Word application in this location.
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\AutoCorrect
    Please provide us more information about the registry for Word application.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Smart Art needs to have a warning

Smart Art needs to have a warning when text exceeds the available text area (the box) and the text becomes hidden. The warning can be something like a little triangle with exclamation mark, that you can hover over and it tells the reason for warning.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Open a file from a Sharepoint or OneDrive URL

When people email me Sharepoint/OneDrive links to files, clicking on them in Outlook wants to open them in my default browser. I would prefer to either a) open them in the desktop app, or b) copy/paste the URL into the file|open dialog in Word/Excel/Powerpoint and be able to open the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Option to pause track changes until I close the document.

I may turn off track changes while working in a document and then forget to turn track changes back on before closing the document. This would be a feature to "pause" track changes while working in it until I close the file. When any user opens the document subsequently, track changes would resume.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Flag or find imported content that doesn't auto-map to an existing style

When I copy and paste text from any random other foreign source, I want to search for (or highlight, flag in the margin, etc.) any text that didn't automatically get assigned to a style in my template.

Now, I have to look at the style menu and painstakingly click on each newly created style and apply the correct one from my template. Easier: when pasting "foreign" content, Word should ask me which style(s) to apply to what it's trying to paste, rather than auto-creating junk-styles.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Set table width document-wide

Currently I have hundreds of imported tables (from Confluence), and setting the dimensions manually for each is a major hassle/time waster. I need all of the tables in my documents to be identically sized and with columns that are all the same width.

I would like to be able to set the preferred width of the table and the column widths as part of the table style.

Steps:

1. Click on a table.

2. In the table Tools>Design tab, right-click the table design you want to use.

3. Select Modify Table Style. The Modify Style dialog box displays.

4. Click Format and select Table…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Show the right document

When several documents are open in Word (2016) it may happen that one does not know what documents are open and one tries to open a document again, that is already open, e.g. via the Explorer. Actually, when doing that one would expect that document to pop up on the screen. In reality, however, a word document pops up, but not the one you clicked on in the Explorer but another one that is already open. If you close that, and click the intended document again, Word again shows one of the other open Word documents. In the end you…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)