Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Make it easy to use Dragon Naturally Speaking in Word 2016 (Office 365).

It used to be a simple matter of enabling an add-in. Now the add-in no longer appears and it seems impossible to add it manually. There should be an easy fix for this. If there is, will somebody please let me know?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Shortcut for transposing characters

I'm an editor and I often need to transpose two characters where people have made a typo. It would be great if I could highlight them, and then have a shortcut (like Ctrl-B for bold) that just switches them for me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Create a speacial version or a mode

Word supports for science documents such as Chemistry, Physical and Math not well. Word can't draw molecular structure in Chemistry, draw geometry in Math independently without using GeoGebra. I want a new mode for science document which has unified structure like TexMaker, any science documents, which was written by TexMaker, is very similar, united. I think Word can format very well but it also makes documents have no general format like LaTex.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Sort by Last Word

Provide the ability to sort by the last word in a line, paragraph or cell. In WordPerfect, this is accomplished by using -1 to designate the position fo the word. T

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Save as PDF (over the top of existing file) should check for file readability FIRST

When saving a document as PDF Word currently updates references (depending on options set) and THEN advises the existing file cannot be written to!

Word needs to check the file can be written to BEFORE updating references!

This might be a Windows preview issue, the file is open or any other issue.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Document Metadata Tags

In the document metadata, we have a field called “Tags”. In Quick Parts, this same data is called “Keywords”. They should both have the same name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Table Row Properties

When changing row properties on the Row tab of the Table Properties Modal, there are two checkboxes. The first is “Allow row to break across pages.” The second is “Repeat as header row at the top of each page.”

The first option is usually applied or unapplied to the entire table; usually you would select the entire table first, then navigate to the Row tab and check or uncheck the option.

The second option is usually applied to the first row of a table. The problem is that you can only do one or the other on a single visit,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Center Page format

Please provide Center Page Format. Secretaries should be included in development of any text editor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Print selected pages by clicking on the thumbnails in print preview

Print selected pages from a long document by clicking on the thumbnails in print preview (zoom to page setting at, say, 20%, just so you can see the pages you need).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please fix grammar check: often not good. I don't want to replace "according to" with "per" (it's jargon); and I don't say "these helps to"

Please fix English grammar check: it's often not good. I don't want to replace "according to" with "per" (it's jargon); and I don't say "these helps to" etc. etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I would like for you to add a feature so that the user can control word, power point, and other similar applications, with your voice.

Just a button that can be clicked so that if you say, for example say, "Full screen" and the screen will completely open up to show a power-point presentation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When I use Explorer to open a new document I would like to be given the choice of which template to use.

To be able to choose a template after / during creation of a new document with a right click on Explorer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automatically create custom labels

it is too confusing to create custom labels. I think we should be able to type in the amount across and down and it automatically generates suggested labels.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Eliminate the constant phoning home to validate subscriptions to Office 365.

Those in the connected world believe that everyone is sitting in a office with full time internet connections. As a consultant, I am constantly(for weeks at times) in a remote office location without a guest network or network access. After a number of retries from the "validate subscription", I loose the ability to use any of the Office Products. Then I have to I have find an internet connection or launch a hotspot, spending personal money to validate so I can continue using the products. I have an annual subscription so I should not be required to validate daily, weekly,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bug: Fix table border drag

Changing to Word 2016, I'm no longer able to conveniently drag table boundaries to change the size of columns/rows. If the cells have no borders, the mouse pointer often does not change to the widen pointer even if it's exactly (pixel perfect) on top of the border. What works is adding a thick border/adding a border and zooming in, but I'm sure Word normally does not require pixel perfect pointer placement. Other means of resizing table cells still work; problem does not occur when opening the same .docx files in Word 2010 and is independent of screen resolution.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. If you disable auto correct and spell checker from word document, there will be no future for word application. Don't promote new platforms!

It is not new, I just want to emphasize that by disabling auto-correct in word 2016, you will force word application users to seek alternatives. And what is word processing without an auto-correct, grammar suggestion or spell checker?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. IRM enabled SharePoint library with required metadata

With IRM enabled SharePoint document library, the user cannot create document directly from library where are some required fields.
    User tries to create document in SharePoint document library which ends with error. He has to close Word and reopen it again, fill required metadata and save it one more time.
    It doesn't work in any version of Word (DVD-installed or Click to Run).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base