Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Allow recipient name to differ from salutation name in pre-formatted letters

Allow recipient name to differ from salutation name.
    eg. Recipient 'John Doe', Salutation 'Dear John,'
    Currently Recipient 'John Doe'. Salutation 'Dear John Doe'

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Aktivierungsprobleme

Office, Problem: Im Account ist keine eindeutige Darstellung der Lizenzen, nun wurde bereits ein Datum hinzugefügt, für Eindeutigkeit muss jedoch auch noch eine Uhrzeit kommen, es gibt eine nicht hilfreiche Nummerierung, bei der Installation mehrerer Officelizenzen unter einem Account kommt es immer zu Komplikationen bei der Aktivierung und ich muss mich telefonisch an den Support wenden. Hierfür ist es nur notwendig beim automatischen Generieren des Datums dieses im Code mit Uhrzeit zu versehen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add a null separator option, or remove the need for a separator, to Caption numbering

As it stands, when you include a heading in your caption numbering there is a requirement for a separator between them. for example, table 1.1.A would be the A table in Section 1.1. I would suggest that no separator also be an option so tables or figures can be labelled as 1.1A without having to update every table individually.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Shortcut to move a row up or down in a table

There should be an easy way to select a row in a table and move it up or down. Right now, it's a clunky copy/insert/paste.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Show Total Editing Time in Hours & Minutes

Make Total Editing time not just be like 12,500 minutes, but instead 8 days 16 hours & 20 minutes

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Upgrading package link in account to add additional software such as publisher to

In your office account have a link that will take to additional software not already included in your downloaded version of office

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. allow tiny url for SP and OD files

Allow user to convert lengthy SP or OneDrive files names to "tiny urls" and allow for customized names.

Box.com understands this well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option to make the default number of spaces after a period dependent upon the file location of the document

Proofreaders may have clients that follow different standards. Writers may also be submitting to publications with different standards. Changing the default with every single file reviewed or written can take an inordinate amount of time. But it would be simple to set up a file structure that separates clients or submission destinations. It would be nice to be able to have a pre-set default to match each type of client/publication, without having to change it every time, or remember to do a universal switch (which can sometimes introduce other issues.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make it possible to insert custom fractions that are the same format as the automatically formated fractions.

Make it possible to insert new custom fractions in the same format at the auto formatted fractions. It is possible to insert others that what you have selected, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 but they can not come out in the same format. Please add that. You are a bit prejudice for those three. Free up the rest of the fraction world. :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BRING BACK CHAT FOR ONEDRIVE

I have spent multiple hours over the past week trying to get my two computers synced via One Drive. Day 1: chatted in for tech support; the guy was ASTONISHING and actually was remoted in on TWO computers simultaneously. It was too late to finish, though, so I signed off. Day 2: my laptop had some issues because Office had to be uninstalled the night before. Second guy remoted in and fixed this 'secondary' issue and got me back my WORK DATABASE THAT I HAD LOST. After that? CRAP. Multiple chat ins to be told that the chat function for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make it easier to manage multiple licenses with one account.

spending multiple hours wrangling the activation system is crazy! It used to be easy: buy a license, enter the license, the program works. Now it's "buy the program, begin the activation process, the program tries to activate the wrong license, please call technical support." Allowing us to more easily activate the products we own would solve many headaches for the producer and the consumer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Word 2016 page numbering

I want to start my "page 1" in the third page of my paper. However, when I follow the steps on this article, it jumbles the pages, instead - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Start-page-numbering-later-in-your-document-c73e3d55-d722-4bd0-886e-0b0bd0eb3f02

There should be an easier option to have the page numbers start at specific pages instead.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Speech Timer

Add a speech/presentation timer in word, a timer that you can set a time limit with a alarm sound.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Do automatic equivalence of standard (pre-defined) ligatures in search/replace

Standard (Unicode-defined: U+FB00 - U+FB04) ligatures should be (optionally) equivalent to non-ligatured versions while doing search/replace and spell-checks. No OpenType actions are necessary for use/formation of these.
    This handling would mirror that done now with "smart" quotes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hi, I have not seen an easy way to delete a document under file. This was the default location to remove or delete a

No way to delete a Doc. from the File Menu, what is up?
    I had to delete manually every line.
    PTownsat

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. file menu options

I prefer the old days when the "open file" command yielded a file directory rather than a list of what I just recently opened. I use tons of different files and there is no efficient way for me to get at them now. I can't figure out how to get to a list of folders from the current window

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. common data input to multiple forms

We use two different forms to process our work. I want the info common to both forms to be entered simultaneously to both forms for each customer

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. common data input to multiple forms

We use two different forms to process our work. I want the info common to both forms to be entered simultaneously to both forms for each cu

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base