Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Caret halting point (Ctrl + Arrow Keys) inside misspelled word

Pressing one of the two arrow keys (obviously) navigates the so called caret around in your text. In addition, holding Ctrl while doing so moves it by a whole word at once, similar to the Ctrl + Backspace behavior.
    I think it would be great if it would not only halt between words, but also inside of spelling mistakes. If I spelled "in-between" wrong – i. e. "inbetween" – and Word suggested me to use the hyphenated version, the caret should halt in the middle of "inbetween", just after the "in", to let me insert the hyphen (or space) more…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. You are trying to force me to activate - buy Office,I won't now I can't edit my own document. I want wordpad not Office!

You are trying to force me to activate then buy Office. I won't pay for anything!! I can't edit my own document I made myself. I want my documents changed to WordPad not Office!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Missing feature in Word:Size adjustment of text in Navigation Pane

The version of Word in Office 2016 has lost the ability (that was in previous versions) to adjust the font size of the text you see in the Navigation Pane (thus you can't fit many lines in it or make it larger to be easier to see). This isn't so much a suggestion as a helpful notice of what appears to be an accidental missing feature in the latest Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Remove the "Page Setup" Dialog and put this options in task pane

When this options are in the task pane, you can see your changes immediately

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. FAILING TO EDIT

FAILING TO EDIT

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. It would be great the arrow could be positioned in the middle of the line...

It would be great the arrow could be positioned in the middle of the line...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I want to set a minimum size for space between words (not characters) for justified text.

I want to set a minimum size for space between words (not characters) for justified text.

MS Word is sometimes making the space between two words too small, when the text is justified.

I want to be able to set this for a style so that it is enforced throughout my document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. While reading document , on right click it should give an option of ask cortana

If we can have a option of ask Cortana like we have in web pages. As we are reading and document and any word comes up. we can right click on that and choose ask Cortana as that will provide all the suggestion that Cortana gives in web pages like Meaning, use information from Wikipedia and many more.
    That will be very helpful.Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Have a box to store symbols frequently used in a specific doc: 'copy' tool or assigned keys aren't adequate

Sometimes I'm using a few phrases or symbols regularly in a doc and I just want somewhere visible to store them so I don't have to keep finding them on a font, or if I use the copy/paste function it only works for the last symbol/word copied. I'd love a blank 'palette' so I can just keep these key things handy and drag/drop as needed in my doc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Table of Contents Stopped at Chapter 46

I have a 49-chapter book and each chapter has a title to which I applied the Heading 1 style. Every chapter has appeared in the Navigation pane as soon as I paste it into the complete book until I added chapter 47. Ch. 47 shows up in the body of the document, but the title doesn't show up in the TOC. All of the headings are the same. Why doesn't 47 show up in the TOC?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. New feature Read Aloud Not working

new feature readALOUD NOT WORKING

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How about following your own UI standards?

Office apps have their own unique display properties that use the new horrible flat color-scheme rather than blending in nicely with all the other windows on your desktop. Okay, so you want Office tools to stand-out, but give users the option to turn this off and use the same standardized window-manager properties as all the other applications. The minimize, maximize, and close icons are almost invisible in the ugly flat color-scheme. I want the close button to stand out in a distinct color like it does for all my other applications which actually follow the window-manager's rules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Templates for Table of Contents Page

Templates for the table of contents page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix your technical support and test your updates before release

After the last update, I started receiving an error message when I tried to save new Word documents. I called your online support, told him I had the error message on screen, and made it very very clear that he was not to do anything on my machine without my knowledge and approval. He accessed my machine, he saved the document, and then wanted me to show him the error message. Of course, that was impossible to do. He said I would have to pay a nominal fee to get help because the error message was caused by something in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Interessante Idee, die aber nicht funktioniert.

Statt Text zu markieren, wir dieser gelöscht.
    Die Farbe wird nicht übernommen. Statt in Rot, wie ausgewählt, wird in Grau markiert. Einkreisen funktioniert bei mir überhaupt nicht.
    Die Idee: Testet doch mal wirklich zu Ende, bevor ihr was neues herausbringt. Sehr enttäuschend alles!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [VBA] For Each shp in ActiveDocument.Shape: mysterious loop

In Word version 2010 and later, I have experienced something odd, mysterious.
    Suppose there are 500 TextBox(es) on a documnet, and want to delete all of them by VBA.

I wrote the following code:

Dim shp As Shape
    For Each shp In ActiveDocument.Shapes

If (shp.Type = msoTextBox) Then

shp.Delete
    End If

Next

This code doesn't all (500) textbox(es) at one time. After the first execution of this code, a half of them are deleted. Next time, it delete a half of them. Total 9 times of execution are needed.

cf. in Excel (2010, 2013, 2016), the similer code can delete…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option to delete your own presentation

It seems that you made a mistake and no ways to delete your own presentation and waste too much space of documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. make it to where you can set a doc or excel sheet to "always print 2 (or 3 or 4, etc.)

Set an option to default a number of pages to print for each doc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base