Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Allow all error message boxes to be dissmissed by hitting any key.

I use lots of macros and other functions via keyboard shortcuts. When an error occurs, Word puts up an error message that has to be dismissed by clicking "End" or hitting ALT+E before further work can be done. Error messages should disappear if I carry on typing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. find: when doing find next move "hit' from top/bottom of screen

Currently (forever), when you do a "find next" or "previous" the found word is located at the very top or bottom of the screen. This hides the context.

I would prefer that the hit be more centered on the screen. At least 2 or 3 lines from top/bottom of screen. One or more full paragraphs would be better.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. I want to print the document but unfortunately could not do it. Why?

I want to print the document but unfortunately could not do it. Why?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. advanced find/replace: special Find/Replace options

move the options on the Format and Special dropdowns directly onto the advanced Find and Replace tabs of the Advanced Find dialog.

Screen sizes and resolution (therefore effective working space) have increased massively since the dialog was originally designed for VGA screens.

Move these drop down options up on to the dialog as buttons / hyperlinks and/or check boxes.

Same for the "Find In" dropdown's 2 options.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add an option to resize the fonts in the navifation pane.

It can be difficult to see the page numbers and fonts in the navigation pane. We need to be able to resize both the individual fonts, such as the numbers under the page images, and the images themselves so that we can move through our huge documents more easily.
    It would be great if we could magnify any part of the navigation pane with a mouse over. Thank you!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Table Border Display

For tables that extend from one page to the next, I would like to show "table continued" by suppressing the bottom border on the first page and the top border on the succeeding page. There seems to be no way to do this except to split the table, which is very inconvenient, especially if the table position moves vertically.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide online downloads for all supported MSI versions

Provide easy to find download access to all MSI installers. Up to recently, only if you knew where to look you could get installation files for Office 2007-2013 through the Digital River site. But, the average user had no idea to look there, so make it easy to find on MS web site. As well, recently DR re-organized their site and I don't know if we still have access to those old downloads.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. More defaults, please -

Especially for that extremely annoying checkbox, "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style." I've been using Word for many years and I have not once checked that box. In fact I often forget to look at it. Default should be OFF.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve Insert object

The Insert Object button's arrow displays a pop down menu (insert bject, insert text from file). The "object" menu then pens a dialog box with a lot of listed application (e.g. MS equation editor, etc.). I always use only 2-3 of these objects (most of the time only 1) and it's always slow to scroll down and find the one I need. It would be nice, like the last used Fonts being displayed on top of the list, to have the last object types selected to be displayed at the top of the pop down menu (say looking like MS…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow copying of all error messages in Word

If I can't copy them (one at a time is sufficient) I can't easily communicate to an expert what Word is complaining about. Not good!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow me to view my encrypted file. Since it is mine.

I keep passwords on a word file. Which is password protected. And it's kept on OneDrive. When I try to open it, either in Word online, or sometimes in Word desktop the pop-up says I can' do that. Wouldn't it be nice if I could read my file. That belongs to me.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Syntax check in fields

In a field, it's easy to accidentally omit the \f, etc., or the ". Doing a syntax check is probably quite easy and would be helpful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. IMPORTANT: allow selection to be locked.

Many many times I have carefully formatted a complex table only to find it messed up when the doc is read in. Badly needed is an operation which prevents any change to a selection.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fewer modes and disappearing windows, please.

A dialog window should remain up until the user dismisses it. The present way requires more clicks and selections than necessary.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The page cutoff always moves; should stay stationary.

Whenever you try to see how many pages it is, the line always takes a moment to just stay and stop moving. There should be an option to show where the pages ends by showing it cut off and a continuation on the next page. This would help a lot when I'm using this for Humanities (Pre AP World History). Thank you so much for reading; this has been a great/astounding way for me to be able to complete my work without spending a dime!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keyboard shortcuts need to be save-able in the template (dotx)

If you add a keyboard shortcut to a style in the file and save the file as a template, then open a new file on the basis of that template, the keyboard shortcuts are gone. Long overdue, broken since 2007

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow prefix of page numbers with custom characters and fields

Currently word does not allow users to set advance page numbering for documents, beyond the prefix of chapter numbers. This can be problematic when combining chapter number and appendixes. For example here is the format of me thesis:

• From first page (excluding cover) to just before introduction: Lower-case Roman numerals (i, ii, iii, ...)

• From introduction to last chapter: Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, ...)

Now what I would like to do is have my page numbering in my appendixes (A to E) with a prefix that is the ordinal letter of the appendix, followed by a hyphen and then…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. site enhance: another link to answers forum

The home page for the Word suggestion site has links to the Answers forum, ie:

<snip>
    Need technical support? Please visit the Microsoft Community or the Office Support site.
    </snip>

But "microsoft community" is not a very descriptive name for the function answers forum.

Add links to the answers forum, and the "Office support site" to the links collection on the right side of the site.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Display macro shortcut key

There seems to be no easy way to find what the shortcut key is for a given macro. Fix this!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base