Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Render EndNote obsolete by integrating Citations and Bibliography with OneDrive

Citations and Bibliography in Word 2016 is powerful but closed-off to how we manage files and data in cloud-based storage.

To keep track of references across machines on various domains (home, work, university networks), I need to:

1. Allow the source file in Word to automatically default to a specific location (ie OneDrive folder)

2. I store my citations in OneDrive and prefix them with the unique reference identifier in word

3. I share a OneDrive URL and paste this manually into the URL field of the source manager.

To automatically 'close the loop' on these manual steps, it would be useful to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. You could have a 'browse for images section'

I find it a bit time consuming sometimes if you want an image you have to open Google images etc. so I was thinking you could have a tab that says 'Brows for images' and you can get your images from there without having to copy and paste but literally just by selecting it and dragging it to the right spot! simple :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Video : add option "video on my PC"

In word 2016 there is an option to add "online Video" ..
    Why not an extra option "video on my PC" like in PowerPoint?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Update Turabian citation style to 8th edition (currently is 6th)

In Word 2016 when using the Resources tab it is possible to select a standard citation format. It appears this is outdated as the Turabian style is now on 8th edition, but the only available style is 6th edition.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Publish on Facebook

please add an option which can allow to publish our word's text to be publish directly from MSword.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug in Equation Writing Tool

Is the Microsoft Word development team aware of the following bug in the Equation writing tool?

When trying to type the derivative of a function in the form "f'(x)=...", as soon as I type the equal sign "=", the "'(x)" will jump up into an exponent on the "f" character.

This bug also occurs when typing other math operators after the parentheses and other types of brackets. I tested it, and it occurred, typing +, -, *, and / instead of =. Also, the parentheses can be empty (you don't need to type "x" or anything in it. The quirk…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Recently used styles

This was a very convenient thing in 2007. In large documents with many styles, you can spend a lot of time scrolling between one or two often-used styles. Please bring it back!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Let the user re-define the default for menus.

Eg for references I always want 'label and number only' but it always defaults to 'entire caption'. there are many menus or responses where I always have to change from the default.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Customize language specific smart quotes

I'm using word 2016 on a windows 7 machine, using "German (Switzerland)" as my default proofing tool language.
    As per default the double quotations marks in "German (Switzerland)" are set to the guillemets («»). This is not completely wrong, as we swiss people use the guillemets normally in books and some publications. However, in everyday communication, business and private, we use the slanted double quotes like this: „“ (alt+0132 / alt+0147)

In the language pack "German (Germany)" quotation marks are used how I'd like them. However, switching the proofing language to "German (Germany)" is not the desired solution, because grammar…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. word 2016 full of bugs - It's a backwards step from 2013

Word 2016 is an unstable application to use.

I've been using Office 2016 for 3 days now, thinking it would be an upgrade on 2013 and 2010... I was wrong - there are so many bugs in it, I can't believe MS charge so much for it and expect the users to be their Testers. At least Google Docs is free.

Styles have a variety of issues, attempting to update a style doesn't work (the text used as the update source is instead changed to match the style to be updated.)
    Styles behave erratically and unpredictably.
    Navigation around documents is…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please let us move files within Office jumplists

It is possible to increase the number of files in an Office application jumplist through a registry hack. However, items pinned in the jumplist cannot be moved, which used to be possible in earlier versions. This applies to both 365/2013 and 2016

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Figure Quickview

Sometimes I read or write documents that have many tables and figures placed at the end of the document. While placing some or all of the figures (charts, photos, schematics, and sketches) and tables at the end of the document can make the document "cleaner", it definitely puts the burden on the reader to scroll up and down the document.
    While the functionality to open a second (or multiple) window allows the user to separately scroll through the figures and tables on a second monitor, a second monitor is not always available (ex. laptop) or screen space is limited. Alternatively,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Endnotes in multiple columns

Up to Office 2010, at least, endnotes in multiple columns came after the text (end of section or end of document) with no column justification either for the text or the notes. In this way the endnotes started midway in the column wherever the text ended and extended as far as needed.
    Office 2016 justifies the text (so that text columns are even: they reach the same length down the page) and then adds the references starting a new (left) column (like a new section) and justifying them so that the whole text columns (including endnotes) are even.
    This (new)…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Here's a really radical idea Microsoft: read this page, maybe once a month at least? And respond!

Why does Microsoft even have this page if they dont respond? Lots of users are really angry about the stupid omission of the autocorrect on the fly feature, and nothing happens! No apologies, not explanations, no attempts to fix it.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Compare documents directly from document recovery window

Allow compare documents to be run directly from the document recovery window. When the document recovery window comes up there are often multiple versions of the same document [Original], [Recovered], [Autosaved]. To know which document actually has the newest information, or whether perhaps the newest Recovered one lost information, I always use "Compare Documents" on these files first. Please make compare documents available right from the Document Recovery window, perhaps with check boxes for selecting two at a time to compare. This would help make the save/close/delete choice more informed and prevent wrong guesses from deleting the document that actually…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix numbered lists and bulleting so they work correctly and don't just do whatever they want! WORST feature in Word!!!

Numbering has always been the most poorly implemented Word feature. Numbers change randomly and Word often won't allow me to correct its own numbering mistakes. Indents change on their own, for both numbering and bullets. It even makes changes in my templates or won't obey formatting set up in templates. In short, the numbered list and bulleted list functions are GARBAGE and have been this way for years without ever getting fixed; they need a COMPLETE TOP-TO-BOTTOM overhaul.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow use of list formatting identical to Excel columns

Have, as one of your list formats, formatting identical to Excel columns: A, B, C, . . . AA, BB, CC, . . . BA, BB, BC, . . . etc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Applying style doesn't change font size, pls fix it!!!!

I have converted a bunge of pdf to word (docx) and need to apply "styles" to format them. When I apply a style, e.g. Normal, Headings, it change everything (indent, italic, bold, etc.) EXCEPT font size.
    I need to first "clear format" then apply style to change the front size.
    Pls let me know if I have done it in a wrong way or is it a bug????

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Draggable comments highlight area

When adding comments in tracked changes, what I'd like is to have draggable boundaries on the highlighted areas of text so that I can include less or more text as appropriate. At the moment, I highlight the text and then type the comment; after that I might realise that I should have included the previous sentence in the highlighted area, but the only way to correct it is to cut the comment text, delete the comment box, then rehighlight all the text, then paste the comment back in. Time consuming...

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base