Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. STOP!

Stop trying to make it better, your making it worse. I THINK ITS WRONG TO MAKE MY USE WORD ON LINE. WHY CAN I USE IT OFF LINE?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. vertical page movement

RE-enable vertical page movement option as a user default selection (rather than horizontal)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. do your best and finish soon

finish before do and try your hardest you'll get a descent grade on it at least

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. MS word 2010 crashes (after Win 10 pro v.1709 october 2017 cumulative update)

MS word 2010 crashes (after Win 10 pro v.1709 October 2017 cumulative update) when trying to copy and paste web material (pictures and text) into MS Word 2010. I got a message 'Microsoft Word has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly...'.
    Also to ad that I contacted directly the MS Support and I have a reference no: (1401812400). A person fixed the Word, but that was only temporary, as when I rebooted my machine and tried to copy and paste Web material into MS Word 2010, it keeps crashing. Also to ad, MS Word 2010…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. scroll left to right when editing a book

WORD was doing this for me a few days ago, Now it will not. I tried and page views do not work, zoom either. What is wrong?? Am I missing something ??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Word Find & Replace Feature. Please add the additional feature of replace selected.

Adding this feature would save considerable time when printing different labels (65 up) of varying quantities. At present you can only replace one at a time or replace all. Having the replace selection option will save time and money. As company microbiologist from the 90s to 2005, it was so time consuming printing labels that we used to pass them off to the secretary to do.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. How do you delete a document in word?

I would like to know how do you delete a document in word. I am quite sure someone else would like to know how to do this. THANK YOU

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. be able to permanently disable word count including textbox, footnoes, and endnotes

(very annoying for academics, PhD & Graduate students, and other students to think they have gotten their word count but they haven't because footnotes and endnotes are included in the wordcount)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. improve spell checking for OCR'd documents

i just got to the 3rd bom but born doesn't show as a suggested option even though I corrected the first 2 boms to borns. also frequent ocr mistakes like litde should offer little, batde - battle, etc. i'm not sure what rules you use, but it never seems to offer commonly missed words from OCR of documents. Oh, and how about I'11 to I'll?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Change Ctrl-Shift-S from only "opening: the Apply Styles popup to "toggling" the popup on and off.

Change Ctrl-Shift-S from only "opening: the Apply Styles popup to "toggling" the popup on and off.
    It gets in the way.
    The same already works for Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S toggling the Styles popup.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Turn off the translator in Word 2016

Would love to be able to disable the translator in Word 2016. I run a computer lab for a Spanish class and the students keep using the translator to do assignments, unfortunate, its the wrong usage and they get it wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable edit on view mode + highlighting

I believe you should let us edit on view mode because it is a much easier way to read a project that is almost done and make minor adjustments. In addition, I think you should correct our movement while highlighting some texts with the finger tip so it would look like we had a real paper and it seems more natural instead of having distortions or having to select a text every time I want them in yellow

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. letterhead

One of the areas which is difficult is the application of letterhead to remain solely on page 1 and formatting a document for this outcome. There should be an easy short cut to ensure letterhead remains on the first page and is not automatically copied to the next pages. At present - it is easier to put page 1 as the letterhead, then attach subsequent pages as second documents when emailing a document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. How to specify another browser than default browser in an hyperlink in Word

I have created a Word document that contains some hyperlinks that point to a local Web page that must be displayed using Chrome.

My default Web browser is Internet Explorer 11, but I want that when I click on the hyperlink, Word is using Chrome instead IE to load the Web page because the Web page has been developped to work correclty only on Chrome.

I will not change my default browser because when I navigate on Web, IE is my preferred browser, but to navigate to the local Web page, Chrome is better.

On Internet, I have seen that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. What id-10-T allowed the "Book Manuscript" template to be foisted on the public

A short time ago I was looking at downloadable Word "templates" for invoices. They were all useless. No automation to do simple math like multiple quantity by price. No summing of costs, no calculation of taxes NOTHING.

While they are useless, they are not dangerous.

Today I got a support call for the "Book Manuscript" template. In 2 pages of boiler plate had numerous outright mistakes or thing counter to "best practices".

The "title", "by" and "Byline", on separate lines all use heading styles. WRONG. you don't want the word "by" on the title page appearing in the TOC!

There…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add specific font shortcut to the ribbon

Add specific font shortcut to the ribbon as an icon I can click on

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Why doesn't Microsoft stop screwing with programs that work, but dont' work after your inept programming dept finishes?

Microsoft has the terrible habit of taking programs that are working fine, but when your inept, talent-challenged, stupid programmers finish, you've messed up a perfectly good program. Quite frankly, if I could get a Word version from 2003 to work, I'd use it. I don't need and, more importantly, don't want your so-called improvements. Why is it that every MS upgrade is a downgrade. And everyone knows it. So why not just stop?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. dbase (.dbf) files not considered a data source for mail merges?

In Office 2007 we could export a .dbf file from ArcGIS (ESRI), then merge using Word's mail merge wizard.

Now some users have upgraded to 2016 and .dbf files are no longer considered data sources. Will there be a fix for this or will it no longer be supported?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)