Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Make Word 2013 work without crashing for large docs with many figures

Dragging multiple png figures into table cells in a 16MB Word 2013 doc causes the figures to fail to refresh properly. Ctrl-r will refresh them but then things begin to slow down until Word hangs and must be killed. After a restart the same happens again after adding more figures. Word is using over 500MB of RAM to edit the 16MB file. This never happened with prior versions of Word. Word 2013 is unusable for my needs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back the Jazztext font

The font Jazztext is amazing, and they removed it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add a writing option

You should add a writing option where you use your mouse or touch screen to make lines on the paper, like a pencil.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PhilRobi

This "Read Only" problem appeared on my computer at a time when I got a new computer, registered for MS Office OnLine and started using Windows 10. What a mess it created. I have 6,244 files which are Read Only, they include Word files, Excel files and pictures. After countless hours of frustration I purchased a SSD drive and saved my files on it as I opened and saved my Read Only files as I went along. Then I found a great problem solver, I now save my files on Google Doc. Try this. With a little brain work getting…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Creative Commons

You should let other people add on the work of others

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add font editor tool with Word to create custom fonts

Sometimes I would like to make one or two changes to a font, such as having a descending 'f' like Old English and Irish have, but there's no way to do so in Word. I would like Microsoft to release a tool to edit easily any system default font, and save it as a custom font.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add ability to enter text boustrephedon style in addition to LTR and RTL

I work with foreign and ancient languages, and some of them were not written strictly right to left or left to right. Some are written "boustrephedon":style, that is, first row left-to-right, second row right-to-left, then back to left-to-right, alternating each line. When text is left-to-right, the letters are seen normally. When it's right-to-left, the letters are reversed. This is often found in Runic writing which is also supported in Unicode fonts.

My request is, allow me to highlight a paragraph, and mark its text direction as 'boustrephedon' so that the text will flow alternating left-to-right, then right-to-left, each line, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Have the File "office stage" page be optional and give us the option to have the "Office button" small menu back

The new Office Stage (full page that appears when you click file) is a huge waste of space, and is not incredibly intuitive to me as an advanced user, and to novice users coming from other systems.

My request is to make this optional, and to restore the Office button we had in Office 2007, with its very obvious functions, indicated by icons and text on the left-hand side, and recent documents on the right-hand side. This was much more user-friendly and intuitive, as it was familiar to everyone. I don't like the current File page, and I suspect a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Include ALL of the features from Microsoft Office to Microsoft Online to be able to edit our Word documents from anywhere, conviniently

I have noticed from my own usage of Microsoft Online that there are some features from a regular Microsoft Word program that are unavailable. I would find it convenient if all the features would also be incorporated into Microsoft Online so that I can be able to edit my documents in a maximum manner.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Word 2010 Issue/Nov. 4, 2015

I run MS Word 2010 on a Windows 7, 64 bit platform. When the software opens, there is a RED line under the “A” (for font color) in the font tab.

I can't say for certain when this started, I simply know that this has not been this way long. I assume it happened when I installed one of the Windows Updates containing MS Office updates sent out within the last several months.

Anyway, this would indicate to any normal person that they would be typing in RED and need to change it. BUT NO, the font color is Automatic…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. It doesn't need to be too much complicated!!

This new, Word 2016 is a bit too complicated and its hard to find stuff which I usually used to easily find in the previous Words.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Saving the labels of caption for each document (and not for all)

The computer replicates all labels created in one word document to all the others word documents. Therefore, the list of labels is huge.
    Since I was working in a large number of documents and had a lot of different labels, I deleted a few labels.
    Now I have to review an old word document and I need to include hypertext links and, as the labels were deleted, I can not include hypertext link.
    Moreover: if another user need to reformat the document issued by other user, he would have to create labels.
    Caption labels should travel with the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. find

It is really annoying when you hit control F to use the find feature that it keeps the last thing you searched in the box and won't automatically select or delete it if you start typing. Now it says it can't find my word because it is a combination of two words! and now when I go to retype it correctly, it brings up the combination word over and over again... PLEASE FIX THIS! It should be as simple as hitting ctrl f and typing a word and it working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I volunteer as TRIBUTE!

I am having a bit of trouble opening up the word document,but I think you also deserve a laugh! :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. References to tables and cells

Provide a way to reference tables and cells in those tables without having to create bookmarks.
    OpenOffice has been able to do this perfectly for years...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base