Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Installations

i thought you can make istallations to the computer or download msn to your homescreen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. OneDrive

I would love it if the OneDrive would be able to connect effectively to the server and sync with OneDrive from my laptop and my desktop so I don't lose any files. I have to save things multiple times and/or upload it to OneDrive, even though I can access it in Windows Explorer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Having a option for 125% zoom

The zoom options goes from 100% - 150%. The 100% is a bit too small and the 150% is too large. It would be nice to have a 125% zoom option.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. less laggy

i think that the system should be a less lagy one for windows 8

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Open letter to MS Office Word Team - Bugs and important missing features

Open letter to MS Office Word Team

Original thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/open-letter-to-ms-office-word-team-bugs-and/816bd035-2da5-4a09-9285-1c6cd5396e40?tm=1440594787799

Here is my list of bugs and important functionalities missing in MS Office Word. Every MS Word new version I hope MS will have fixed it, but they doesn't.

MS Word user since MS Word 97.

1 Bugs

1.1 Ultra slow saving

“Allow background saves” option makes large Word documents save ultra-slow.

Microsoft forum there regarding this bug:

Word 2013: Extremely slow saving and pasting plain text in long documents

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/word-2013-extremely-slow-saving-and-pasting-plain/94718ebd-0a1a-4542-904a-33185a115ae2

Workaround:

Turn off “Allow background saves”.

1.2 Stop marking as grammar error text-inline equations

E.g.: Image

Workarounds:

Turn off…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Suggestion for font color: Keep "automatic" option available on ribbon

When font color is changed in a document using the ribbon button, the default action associated with this button changes to the chosen color. (As soon as red is chosen once for the font color, the font color button changes its default action to red, for example.) Usually, however, a writer will want to return to the automatic font color at some point.

It would be advantageous to always have the automatic option available. For example, the button could be split into two halves: the last-used choice (red, if that's what I last used) and the automatic font color, which…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Maybe you could transfer your online document to the desktop application WITHOUT downloading the file.

Maybe you could transfer your online document to the desktop application WITHOUT downloading the file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add sources to document

There should be an option to add sources to your word document. if someone has to write a paper, they should be able to add sources to the document as well as an bibliography, work cited, etc. The regular Word program allows you to do so but word online does not.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. display license type: FPP / PKC / OEM etc

Along with other license info, like the activation status and mostly useless Product ID, please display the license category: FPP / PKC / OEM / MAK / HUP / MLK etc. on the help screen.

As well display the allowed installation count associated with the license type. I don't expect to see number of active installations, but it would be really useful for the customer to see how many concurrent installations the license allows for (as static text is fine).

The average user doesn't care about, much less remember the type of license they bought 1,3,5, more years ago. They…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. upf

upgrade it or no people will come.
    This is for all of them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. change Theme Gallery - more like PPT

The 2013 PPT theme gallery includes a row to show the current theme used. Add this to the Word gallery.

In general, UI elements like this should be the same in the applications. So, for the theme gallery, I like that Word 2013 includes the theme names, but I like the PPT "This presentation" display and the images used in PPT because they show the background.

I also like the variants gallery being displayed. If a variant theme is being used in PPT, there should be an indication of this in the other applications like word (and excel!).

Add some…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Tie text descriptions, e.g, 18%, to its calculation in an excel spreadsheet

I'm preparing a data report using word. There are several sentences where I verbally state a data point, e.g, "representing 18% of ..." or that the data point is "up (or down) compared to ... " a previous point in time. It would be great if when the reader hovered the mouse over that data point (18%) the calculation from the excel spreadsheet was visible (999/5596=18%).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change name of application window Color "Themes" back to "schemes"

In Word 2007 you had the Word Option of selecting one of the 3 "Color Schemes" for the look of the application windows. This differentiated them from the "Color Themes" that were applied to the document formatting

Then in Office 2010 some IDIOT changed "color schemes" to "color themes", causing some confusion. The stupidity continued in 2013 and 2016.

Please return to the name convention of Color Themes for next version.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. DOI in source manager

Please add DOI as input in source manager instead of many fields.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve Advanced Search and Search and Replace

Unless there are features I don't know about (it has happened!), searching upwards should be easier. Also, Replace All should tell you how many were replaced. Also, Find In should have options for footers, Selection, whole document, headers, and fields, or any combination.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Repaginating should be optional

I am working with a BIG document. In Print Layout mode the pagination operation is very slow. Unless I need accurate page numbers (which is not the usual situation) this slows editing and is quite annoying. (Many of the edits I do can't possible affect pagination.) Make it optional.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hide the Paste Options hover dialogue

After I paste text in Word in Office 365, there is a Paste Options little dialogue box that hovers over the text in my document. I can't get it to go away without doing some other significant editing operation. But, it covers up several words on my screen. I can't get rid of it by scrolling or clicking elsewhere. It is really irritating! You need to make it disappear after a few seconds, or when I click elsewhere, or something.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. File > Options pane: add new option to export / save the settings

It would be nice to be able to EXPORT all Word / Office customizations / personalizations stored in the Options pane into a single file (probably a REG file).

Extending that, it would be nice to be able to export all settings / customizations that are stored in the registry, normal.dotm, spelling files and what ever other places these things are hiding into a single FOLDER.

Add function to IMPORT these customizations so you can move stuff from one computer to another easily.

Also would making restore of customization easier after doing a full "fixit" uninstall. This option has become…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring Back Office MSI version

While CTR may be useful in a corporate network environment, there are still too many people with carpy network connections where CTR just does not work.

Please return to selling MSI installations of all of the bundles for people who know exactly what they want.

The only remaining MSI installer that I am aware of is for 2013 Pro Plus, which is an extremely limited distribution bundle, almost impossible to get for "average" home user.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)